Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

It wont work. Those oil companies are just pointing and laughing at us. I remember not very many years ago when diesel was 60 cents cheaper then gas. When I was a kid I pumped gas at a Hess station. Diesel was so cheap. So what happened?

A truckers strike huh. Would one day work or should they strike for several? The problem I see is the retailers will see an opportunity/excuse to raise their prices and when the strike is over they will not lower them again since we would already be used to paying the higher price.

I think we are doomed and at the oil companies mercy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Hubby was saying that it won't do much good as a lot of drivers are company drivers verses owner operators. Companies like UPS surely won't park the trucks. Smaller companies might as they don't get a discount on fuel.

My son was saying they get delivery trucks at night where he works; after looking the company up, it's doubtful they would do it either as they supposedly pay no more then $2.00 per gallon of diesel, this is for owner operators.

btw, I used to pump gas too. I don't ever remember diesel being more then gas

Old 04-01-2008, 08:38 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Default high fuel prices

I hate high fuel prices too and I would definitely support a truckers' strike if they wanted to have one. I'm not convinced that it'll happen, as too many truckers have been pinched for too long... they've probably used up their money cushion and their families will starve if they don't drive.

If you want to know why there is such a disparity between diesel and gasoline right now, research the cost breakdown for a gallon of fuel online. A gallon of diesel requires more crude oil than does a gallon of gasoline. Most states have gasoline which is only 90% gasoline, and 10% ethanol. The gasoline portion of it is made from less oil than you'd think. There are all kinds of additives and detergents and whatever, to make it less polluting or whatever the politicians want to call it. The simple way to look at fuel prices is this... when gasoline is less expensive than diesel, crude oil prices are mostly to blame for the high fuel price. When diesel is less expensive than gasoline (remember the Hurricane Katrina aftermath, with $3.29 gas and $2.59 diesel?), refinery troubles are more to blame for the high fuel price than crude oil prices.

I complain about high gas prices just as much as anyone. But it's high time that we realized that AMERICA IS TO BLAME for America's high gas prices. I can see where the Arab countries could pump more oil, but apparently they don't have much ability to pump more than they're already pumping. Oil is a supply and demand market. It's no great secret that China and India have been demanding much more oil recently than they used to. So, when their demand goes up, the price will go up as well. Why have China and India been able to demand so much more oil? Because AMERICA has been supporting their economies! We ship all of our jobs over there, and we buy all of our stuff "made in China"... and then we wonder why it is that those countries are booming!! If we want lower fuel prices, we are in a position to create that scenario. America is the world's largest economy, bar none. If Americans suddenly stopped buying things from China and shipping jobs to India, those countries wouldn't have a prayer. Their demand for oil would plummet, and the price of oil would drop. But I ask you guys this... how many of you have ever looked to see where an item was made, before you bought it? How many of you have refused to buy something that was made in China simply because it was made in China? How many of you have sought an acceptable American-made substitute? If you haven't done that, and instead you've been to Wal-Mart, wantonly purchasing cheap junk that was made in China when you have the alternative of buying something American-made, don't complain about high fuel prices because you're the reason they are high. We've all been guilty of building China's economy... myself included. Now the time has come for us to stand up and say that we are not going to be selling out to the rest of the world anymore.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I hate high fuel prices too and I would definitely support a truckers' strike if they wanted to have one. I'm not convinced that it'll happen, as too many truckers have been pinched for too long... they've probably used up their money cushion and their families will starve if they don't drive.

If you want to know why there is such a disparity between diesel and gasoline right now, research the cost breakdown for a gallon of fuel online. A gallon of diesel requires more crude oil than does a gallon of gasoline. Most states have gasoline which is only 90% gasoline, and 10% ethanol. The gasoline portion of it is made from less oil than you'd think. There are all kinds of additives and detergents and whatever, to make it less polluting or whatever the politicians want to call it. The simple way to look at fuel prices is this... when gasoline is less expensive than diesel, crude oil prices are mostly to blame for the high fuel price. When diesel is less expensive than gasoline (remember the Hurricane Katrina aftermath, with $3.29 gas and $2.59 diesel?), refinery troubles are more to blame for the high fuel price than crude oil prices.

I complain about high gas prices just as much as anyone. But it's high time that we realized that AMERICA IS TO BLAME for America's high gas prices. I can see where the Arab countries could pump more oil, but apparently they don't have much ability to pump more than they're already pumping. Oil is a supply and demand market. It's no great secret that China and India have been demanding much more oil recently than they used to. So, when their demand goes up, the price will go up as well. Why have China and India been able to demand so much more oil? Because AMERICA has been supporting their economies! We ship all of our jobs over there, and we buy all of our stuff "made in China"... and then we wonder why it is that those countries are booming!! If we want lower fuel prices, we are in a position to create that scenario. America is the world's largest economy, bar none. If Americans suddenly stopped buying things from China and shipping jobs to India, those countries wouldn't have a prayer. Their demand for oil would plummet, and the price of oil would drop. But I ask you guys this... how many of you have ever looked to see where an item was made, before you bought it? How many of you have refused to buy something that was made in China simply because it was made in China? How many of you have sought an acceptable American-made substitute? If you haven't done that, and instead you've been to Wal-Mart, wantonly purchasing cheap junk that was made in China when you have the alternative of buying something American-made, don't complain about high fuel prices because you're the reason they are high. We've all been guilty of building China's economy... myself included. Now the time has come for us to stand up and say that we are not going to be selling out to the rest of the world anymore.
a fairly decent explanation, but my thing is that in NJ diesel is priced about $1 over no lead reg. at the wholesale level it is about 33 cents over and I am in FLA now and fuel taxes here are about 25 cents higher here but I can buy diesel for the same price as I pay in NJ. bottom line, the retailers in NJ are gouging the price of diesel

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
I agree with what you said about buying American, but where can you find it? A lot of the products that we use on a regular basis are just not made in America anymore. Even our food is trucked in from South America. I can't believe that our farmers are growing corn to make ethanol, and we're getting our food from foreign countries. America used to feed the world. Somethings gone crazy here.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
I don't know what was happening on 1&9 this morning but the trucks were definitely up to something. They had their hazards on and were moving so slow. I had to dip and dodge to get around them, but they caused no major inconvenience. Diesel fuel is ridiculous. I hope their voices are heard.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
I don't know what was happening on 1&9 this morning but the trucks were definitely up to something. They had their hazards on and were moving so slow. I had to dip and dodge to get around them, but they caused no major inconvenience. Diesel fuel is ridiculous. I hope their voices are heard.

From what I heard on Dennis & Judy, some trucks were going by the state house today. At a certain time they were going to stop. They were going to do it so that police didn't know who stopped 1st. Made no sense to me.

On my way home they were talking about truckers posting on some message board and how people were losers for posting to message boards lol

Truckers Protesting High Gas Prices Clog NJ Turnpike -
Quote:
Turnpike Authority spokesman Joe Orlando says trucks "as far as the eye can see" are driving about 20 mph and heading south near Exit 14 in Newark.
so far, hubby has no seen anything while he's been out. You'd think he would have seen something since he works in the port and drives the turnpike south.

Full tanks, empty pockets (http://www.northjersey.com/news/aroundnj/Counting_the_trucks_on_the_NJ_Turnpike.html - broken link)
Quote:
Nearly 250 independent truckers protesting high fuel prices have gathered at the New Jersey Turnpike service area in Ridgefield.

It's a relief, of sorts, for commuters and transportation officials who became concerned when trucks "as far as the eye could see" drove about 20 mph on the Turnpike earlier today.
It's a shame this wasn't better organized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey