Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:07 AM

414 posts, read 359,636 times

Advertisements

I left NJ for another part of the country but still spend a lot of time in NJ. The traffic in central and northern NJ is what really spikes my blood pressure when I’m in NJ and it bothers me much more now then when I was a resident - when I lived in NJ I was probably numb to it. Whether it’s a weekend or weekday, peak time or non-peak time, I always seem to be at a crawl at some point of the drive. And if traffic is flowing then everyone drives like a maniac. And then commuting between NJ and NYC which I often do when I’m in NJ - enough said about that...

There are other parts of the country where traffic is just as bad as NJ (NJ residents have the third longest commutes in the country: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-commutes.html). I guess top it off with high property taxes and crumbling infrastructure. Traffic doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue in south Jersey - even in the Philly suburbs like Cherry Hill.

Also, IMO NJ and the NY Metro area in general seems to have a rat race mentality. Other parts of the country aren’t as obsessed with job status (although a high-paying job is a necessity to live comfortably in NJ) or getting their children into an Ivy League school. I miss the rat race even less than the traffic. Granted the DC and Boston metro areas have traffic problems, similar (if not worse) weather and the rat race mentality, but their economies are doing much better than NJ. Both of those areas are adding jobs whereas NJ is losing jobs as suburban office parts empty for lower cost regions or move back into NYC, forcing more workers to deal with the already beleaguered transit system.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:57 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...te_claims.html

Wish I can move to Florida. Warm winters there.
Did you even bother to read the article that you linked?
If you did, you would have noted that The Sunshine State is very prominently placed in the #3 position on that list.

Here are the 10 most stressed states, according to Zippia:
  • New Jersey
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • California
  • New York
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • North Carolina
  • Virginia
  • Mississippi

Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Did you even bother to read the article that you linked?
If you did, you would have noted that The Sunshine State is very prominently placed in the #3 position on that list.

Here are the 10 most stressed states, according to Zippia:
  • New Jersey
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • California
  • New York
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • North Carolina
  • Virginia
  • Mississippi
Except for CA ,most are east coast or close enough locations. Surprised at no Michigan or Illinois .

Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Stressed out, polluted, overtaxed, repressive, we have it all. Even have people that love that, too.

You can bet they are the ones doing it.

Try across the border in PA, life seems more on nature and God's terms over there.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Stressed out, polluted, overtaxed, repressive, we have it all. Even have people that love that, too.

You can bet they are the ones doing it.

Try across the border in PA, life seems more on nature and God's terms over there.
Yup, life is definitely leagues better across an arbitrary river border.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yup, life is definitely leagues better across an arbitrary river border.
LOL,

Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I travel to and spend time on a lake in Ontario every month. It's a 530-mile trip, and the very worst part of the drive is the part that is New Jersey.

There's a HUGE difference in my stress level when I'm in one place vs. another.

I think just the overwhelming traffic and noise does a job on one's sensory perceptions and that alone causes stress.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:22 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a 530-mile trip, and the very worst part of the drive is the part that is New Jersey.
Just be glad that you don't have to drive through Connecticut.
Whenever I drive through the stultifyingly colorless, boring, and congested state of CT, all I can think of is...
How soon before I can get out of CT, and get to my destination in MA, or NH, or ME?

Old 10-07-2018, 06:49 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just be glad that you don't have to drive through Connecticut.
Whenever I drive through the stultifyingly colorless, boring, and congested state of CT, all I can think of is...
How soon before I can get out of CT, and get to my destination in MA, or NH, or ME?
How is the "color" of CT any different than NJ? I'm originally from CT so I go up there fairly often to visit relatives. I agree with you on the congestion and traffic. When I drive up there I rarely have traffic issues when driving through NJ or NY, but as soon as I hit CT there is always construction or just general congestion. Overnight construction is especially bad lately.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I travel to and spend time on a lake in Ontario every month. It's a 530-mile trip, and the very worst part of the drive is the part that is New Jersey.

I think just the overwhelming traffic and noise does a job on one's sensory perceptions and that alone causes stress.
You do this once a month? All year ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey