Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,344 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow City Data forumers...

We spend a lot of time in New Jersey and Connecticut,taking flights frequently to visit the few family and friends that still live there since we no longer do.My spouse and I spent our childhoods in New Jersey and Connecticut.We both started our collegiate journey at 17,then assimilated into adulthood living outisde of New Jersey and Connecticut.We moved to the Dallas suburbs in 2006 shortly driven by corporate employment opportunities.The quality of life here in North Texas is truly exceptional.We both love cold weather and that has been one of our greatest complaints living here.I am not a beach,warm weather person.The mid-west and the northeast are my favorite regions.Dallas is smack in the middle of the country and a great jump off point to fly pretty much anywhere.

Neither of us left the tri-state area initially thinking it would be forever.As time went on and both states started to decline,that is what our initial move has turned into.Neither of us disliked either state enough to consider never moving back until things started to really unravel.We were not burned by the economies there,we never lost jobs or had houses foreclosed on like many of our friends who ended up eventually making moves.

What will the future of New Jersey be?What are your thoughts and predictions?
As a former resident,I have never posted in this forum.As of late,I have started following the news out of New Jersey and Connecticut.

Most people we know have moved out of New Jersey,the same with Connecticut.This is not a handful of people.One set of parents is still there along with 3 out of 10 siblings between the two of us.Countless people we grew up with have moved in the past few years.The elderly and immigrant population in New Jersey is noticeable.That is the demographic I see overwhemingly when at malls,gas stations,grocery stores etc.Even nice suburbs look decaying to me with closed businesses and property unkept,places like Cedar Grove and North Caldwell.Most people forming familiy units are leaving,what does that mean for the future of the state?

Political opinions aside,why does it seem like the current plan in New Jersey is unsustainable?What is the end goal?

Last edited by CREW747; 12-06-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM

280 posts, read 339,447 times
People post way more about the negatives than the positives. We are still a very densely populated state. We have walkable downtowns booming right now and more towns getting grants to follow the trend. I don't think it's as dismal as what you're reading. If you've visited recently and thought properties looked unkempt, well, it's late fall and we had a snowstorm at the same time the leaves were coming down.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,763,782 times
Taxes are killing NJ. I moved out a few years back. IF I had tons of money and could live where I wanted to live in NJ I would have stayed. Not in the cards for me you need tons of money to do it right.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM

325 posts, read 582,817 times
Predictions? More Americans packing up and leaving this Liberal state.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Predictions? More Americans packing up and leaving this Liberal state.
Yes, exactly, that is why it is one of the most densely populated states in the US...

Old 12-06-2018, 03:09 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post

Most people we know have moved out of New Jersey,the same with Connecticut.This is not a handful of people.One set of parents is still there along with 3 out of 10 siblings between the two of us.Countless people we grew up with have moved in the past few years.The elderly and immigrant population in New Jersey is noticeable.That is the demographic I see overwhemingly when at malls,gas stations,grocery stores etc.Even nice suburbs look decaying to me with closed businesses and property unkept,places like Cedar Grove and North Caldwell.Most people forming familiy units are leaving,what does that mean for the future of the state?

Political opinions aside,why does it seem like the current plan in New Jersey is unsustainable?What is the end goal?
Well yes, the WASP power is gone. The state is becoming more diverse, I guess that shocks you? You are asking about the "end goal" as if someone is sitting in some dark office and directing all these migrations. People move to find jobs, open businesses and/or to be closer to their families. You know, the power of Capitalism?

Old 12-06-2018, 03:19 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
The Democrat party has ruined NJ and everyone who can is packing up and leaving. It's in major decline, I'm very interested to see who the next Republican Governor will be in 2.5 years, because there is absolutely no way in hell Murphy can be reelected.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:26 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes, exactly, that is why it is one of the most densely populated states in the US...
Yeah, I guess that the claimed mass outward migration is the reason for our increasingly congested highways.

I don't know about what others are observing, but I have noticed that the number of cars with out-of-state plates on NJ roads increased to a very large extent over the past few months. We are all used to seeing some PA vehicles (in the left lane, driving very slowly, naturally... ), some vehicles with NY plates, and the occasional car with MA or CT plates, but for several months I have seen an absolutely incredible number of cars on NJ highways with plates from...
Utah, Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Washington, and Oregon, and even a few from Oklahoma.

This isn't "tourism season", so I would love to read somebody's explanation for the veritable explosion of out-of-state plates on NJ roads over the past six months or so. If this phenomenon isn't related to employment, then what is your explanation?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Only thing certain is taxes will go up.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
nj cities will gentrify in 10 to 20 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey