Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:09 PM

12 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
For downtown NYC, some options include River Edge, Oradell, Fair Lawn, Glen Rock
Thank you, Fair Lawn is already on our focus area list, will look into River Edge, Oradell and Glen Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
North Bergen, Lodi, Wood-Ridge
Thanks for your reply, while commute times are reasonable, schools does not appear to be well regarded in any of the towns you suggested. Will take a second look now.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Why do you want to start out by renting? Are you trying to save more money for a down payment? If not, then you're basically just throwing away money towards rent that could be applied to your mortgage.
yes working on accumulating a bit more than 20% down payment.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
If you're cool with that commute time and if that is your budget, I would look towards Middlesex County if you want an Indian population and good schools. Maybe East Brunswick
Will look into towns in Middlesex Country, when I checked about East Brunswick, it appeared that commute will not be under 70 minutes, will look into once again.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Fair Lawn (near Radburn station) or River Edge would be good bets given pricing constraints, commute and rent/buy budget. Wildcard is Leonia, but only if you're ok upping your monthly commuting budget by $100-200 and taking the Port Imperial Ferry, in which case you could potentially cut the downtown commute significantly and spend more time with your child.
We had been to Fair Lawn this week, appears appealing. Didnt know about River Edge, will try to find more information. And Leonia is an interesting suggestion, will check it out.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
These places aren't going to be cheaper than Rutherford.
My main intention is not to find a place cheaper, its about providing continuity to my 5 yr old's education. Since anyways I decided to move out of my current residence, I was hoping to find a place which is better for the longer term.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Buy in Rutherford if you like it there. 20% down payment is nice but if you can get away with a lower down payment, it's probably to your benefit. You just need to run the numbers and figure out if paying rent for a couple of years is cheaper or more expensive than paying PMI and a possibly higher interest rate.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Buy in Rutherford if you like it there. 20% down payment is nice but if you can get away with a lower down payment, it's probably to your benefit. You just need to run the numbers and figure out if paying rent for a couple of years is cheaper or more expensive than paying PMI and a possibly higher interest rate.

While I like Rutherford due to commute, decent downtown and my familiarity to the place, I haven't heard anything good about either elementary or middle schools.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:02 PM

173 posts, read 216,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr8856 View Post
While I like Rutherford due to commute, decent downtown and my familiarity to the place, I haven't heard anything good about either elementary or middle schools.
I thought about buying there a few years back. People have memories of Rutherford having good schools, and I recall there was a blue ribbon school in the district at some point, but none of the schools have been outstanding in recent memory. I’d take fair lawn, river edge or Leonia before Rutherford.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Westfield, Cranford are on the edge of your commute time but the schools are good and there should be a few homes that are within range. You basically need to find a place without a full time fire department and other city services.

The tricky bit is actually finding a rental property these days, pretty tight market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey