Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 02:58 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times

Advertisements

Got a huge tree in my backyard, it's on my property, but branches hover over his patio. my neighbor wants me to cut it down, and he said he will work with me on it, if I want it down. What does that mean to you?

It's been 7 years since i moved into the house, when i first moved in, he mentioned about the tree, I thought the tree is great for shade and i didn't bother with his request, but he asked me again... Very nice guy, i have no beef with him. His patio is close gets all dirty from my tree branches and leaves. I don't use the backyard much, if at all. Kind of expensive, I got a quote, it's around $4500

What would you do? What's fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 03:00 PM

50,284 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Politely say no that you like it. Is it towering over his house? He can trim whatever goes over the property line.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Got a huge tree in my backyard, it's on my property, but branches hover over his patio. my neighbor wants me to cut it down, and he said he will work with me on it, if I want it down. What does that mean to you?

It's been 7 years since i moved into the house, when i first moved in, he mentioned about the tree, I thought the tree is great for shade and i didn't bother with his request, but he asked me again... Very nice guy, i have no beef with him. His patio is close gets all dirty from my tree branches and leaves. I don't use the backyard much, if at all. Kind of expensive, I got a quote, it's around $4500

What would you do? What's fair?
i guess it depends on how much you like it. if you dont care, then let him pay to remove it. if you do care, then i guess you can tell him that you are fine if he trims what is over his property.

it sounds to me like he would like you to share the cost but thats not realistic if you have no desire for it to be removed.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
As others have said... Under no circumstance are you required to pay for any option selected.
  • If he wants the tree down and you don't care, have him pay for it, and any insurance in case the removal goes bad.
  • If he wants the tree down and you don't, tell him to leave you alone and keep your tree as it is. (in some places, if a overhanging limb is weak or rotted and falls, damaging his property, you may be responsible.
  • If he wants the branches over his property removed, he can legally do so at his own expense. He cannot legally cut beyond the property line. And he cannot enter your property to do so.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
We had a situation when we moved into our house in 2011. We had a huge maple tree that wasn't bothering anybody, but potentially it could have taken out our neighbors 20' X 70' trailer. We upgraded our electrical service from 100 amp to 200 amp. The electricians needed to run a new power line off the main pole which was located on their property. We needed a right of way from the neighbors and they gave it on the condition we cut down the maple. We were pretty pissed about it but cut it down. Eight years later they are good friends and nobody mentions the tree.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:00 PM

In all honestly, i don't really care for the Tree at this time, but he mentioned a good point about all the hurricane and stuff, last thing i want is for the tree to fall on his house... also the property will be cleaner, I agreed to that.

I asked him to handle it, cutting the tree, I will pay for half. He agreed to it, but i saw his wife other day she acts all pissed off, couple of times, I waved at her, and she didn't respond. She used to be wave back, not sure if it's tree related, I tend to over thinking a lot. We don't really talk. just waving and stuff.

Also, just out of curiously, do you guys know if the tree falls on his property will my home insurance covers the repairs?

Last edited by bbnetworking; 03-18-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 04:08 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
If it falls on his house, his insurance pays for it. I think there's an exception if he has given you notice that the tree is a hazard because of rot or disease. You would want to check with your insurance company.

Is it the sort of tree that could be severely pruned back? If he is willing to pay for half of the removal cost it's a pretty good deal unless you like the tree.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We had a situation when we moved into our house in 2011. We had a huge maple tree that wasn't bothering anybody, but potentially it could have taken out our neighbors 20' X 70' trailer. We upgraded our electrical service from 100 amp to 200 amp. The electricians needed to run a new power line off the main pole which was located on their property. We needed a right of way from the neighbors and they gave it on the condition we cut down the maple. We were pretty pissed about it but cut it down. Eight years later they are good friends and nobody mentions the tree.
you scratch my back, I scratch yours? Who paid for cutting down the tree?

Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
In all honestly, i don't really care for the Tree at this time, but he mentioned a good point about all the hurricane and stuff, last thing i want is for the tree to fall on his house... also the property will be cleaner, I agreed to that.

I asked him to handle it, cutting the tree, I will pay for half. He agreed to it, but i saw his wife other day she acts all pissed off, couple of times, I waved at her, and she didn't respond. She used to be wave back, not sure if it's tree related, I tend to over thinking a lot. We don't really talk. just waving and stuff.

Also, just out of curiously, do you guys know if the tree falls on his property will my home insurance covers the repairs?
is there any reason to believe that the tree is going to fall?

sometimes i want to get rid of every tall tree on my property to be safe against a fall and to reduce leaves, branches and sticks around. but most people keep their big trees and they dont fall on their house. i cut down some dead trees that made me nervous because they were in bad shape.

i think you agreeing to pay half was a good deal for him considering you didnt care to cut the tree at all. his wife is probably just mad because her husband didnt let her buy a pair of shoes.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:11 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
We had a 160 year old pin oak on the property when we bought it. Great tree, one of the larger in the area easily, but improperly trimmed through the years before we arrived, the neighbor hadn't trimmed their side and it was leaning towards their house.

So when a storm knocked down a branch on their garage last September I was horrified, called my insurance company immediately and was told that, since none of the fallen branch was on my yard, it wasn't my problem and that his insurance was responsible for it, that's just how the system worked. We had an internal discussion within our house after an arborist came by and decided it was time, so we had it down for 5K. If my neighbor had offered to pay half at any point in the past I would have taken him up on it. Your neighbor is a lot smarter than mine, his garage still isn't fixed because his contractors are slow as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: