Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times

Advertisements

I might, it depends. Was the test from on a single crack in a wall or was it just on one of the flat walls that wasn't painted with lead free paint that I was planning on putting the toddler in? And is it in every room?

Like everything else in the house it's a discussion point. The windows are old but I'm willing to let it go. The driveway is cracked but I'm okay with it. The attic stairs are broken and won't swing up, I expect that to be fixed. But to waive even that point of discovery?

It's like "there used to be steam pipes covered in asbestos but I promise we took most of them out" or "there was an oil tank in the yard but I understood the person before me removed it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 01:44 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Another thing you have to consider is that in a hot market like Maplewood/SO/WO you are often going to get many buyers putting bids on the same house. From the seller's perspective, they are not going to wait around for you to get a lead paint test when there are 5 other people that don't care and are putting an offer on the house. That's why you have to consider how important is the issue and what are you going to ask from the seller in return (and is it really a deal breaker). Again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just telling you the reality of the situation.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:13 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
With regard to appraisal, if you are going up against cash buyers you will probably have to waive this. You can say no way but then you’ll have a tough time winning the bid.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 PM

11 posts, read 16,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
We bought in South Orange in early 2015 (moved in 4 years and a few days ago) and the area is definitely more competitive than you want it to be so you may have to compromise here and there, but you shouldn't do anything crazy.

The towns still seem pretty competitive from that I can tell, but I don't think the craziness is at its peak right now. And also, it's Winter. Things are usually crazier in Spring.

On to your specific items:

1 - Minor repairs. You're dealing with old houses in this part of NJ, so you obviously can't expect a house to be perfect. You're essentially paying for functionality. We had a situation where the front steps were a little cracked on top and a few bricks were loose. We could have asked them to fix that, which would have been a few hundred dollars for minor repairs that wouldn't have looked any better. So we let that slide (we have since replaced the stairs altogether). There were some problems with the chimney that we negotiated a $9K reduction on. This was a situation where the repairs were definitely major and necessary. There were a few other minor things we didn't worry about.

2 - Lead paint. We did a test. I'm not sure why you'd want to waive a test. I can't imagine people turning down an offer because you want to do a test. They don't have a BETTER or they'd be taking that. What do you have to lose by sticking to your guns on this one?

3 - Appraisal - We also did not waive this. The house ended up being appraised at the appropriate amount, of course. Once again, they don't have a better offer or they'd be taking that. They're not going to cancel working with you over this one.

-

What we did have problems with is that we 1) needed a mortgage and 2) were selling a co-op in the city, which is about as stressful as real estate transactions go. We had lost 3 houses in the area because we weren't paying all cash! Sorry for being only slightly well-off. Oh well. We did end up having to not put in our sale contingency because of the time frame it takes to sell a co-op in NYC, but we wouldn't waive our mortgage contingency.

While the seller definitely has the upper hand, don't do anything insane because of that. You can't demand the world, but that doesn't mean you can't make any demands. Of course, you want to try and avoid the point where you push things to the point where they go down their list to someone else with a comparable offer. Some of this stuff may be because the seller is in a hurry - which actually gives you some advantage. They could actually be less likely to want to start the dance all over with someone else over a few days or a few grand.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. The house has been repainted and looks great. It's in the Gregory section of West Orange which is supposed to be desirable.

Also, there are 10 bids on this house already and it's been on the market for 6 days. It certainly stands out and I think that shows how competitive it is.

Everyone else, thanks for the input and it's been helpful.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 16,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The bigger question is, if the lead paint test comes back positive, what are you going to ask the seller to do? Essentially a $40 gallon of paint (per room) will encapsulate any lead based paint. Are you really going to walk away from the sale over this? Hypothetical questions...
Agreed, so far the house is outstanding and I would not walking away if just repainting was the only thing needed. The house is well kept and repainted so I'm not so much concerned.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
In competitive markets, many sellers will not allow you to test for lead paint. They will simply go to the next offer. Especially in places like south orange and maplewood since most houses get multiple offers. Also, from the sellers perspective, they may not want to have to disclose that there is lead paint which means they may not let you test for it. In these markets, its just assumed if you have an old house there was lead paint and as long as its not chipping you should be fine. But if you can get the house you want and do the test then cool. Just know that when you sell you have to disclose that.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 AM

538 posts, read 733,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. The house has been repainted and looks great. It's in the Gregory section of West Orange which is supposed to be desirable.

Also, there are 10 bids on this house already and it's been on the market for 6 days. It certainly stands out and I think that shows how competitive it is.

Everyone else, thanks for the input and it's been helpful.
Is the house listed for less than it looks like it should? Realtors do that to set off bidding wars - so just be wary about getting too caught up in emotions if going through that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey