Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:02 AM

607 posts, read 555,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
If it falls on his house, his insurance pays for it. I think there's an exception if he has given you notice that the tree is a hazard because of rot or disease. You would want to check with your insurance company.
This is correct in most situations. The exception you mention would require them to document and "prove" the tree (or branches) falling was obviously imminent. That would require pictures and a letter if it was a dead tree, otherwise it's rather hard to prove and would at least require an arborist's opinion if not multiple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Is it the sort of tree that could be severely pruned back? If he is willing to pay for half of the removal cost it's a pretty good deal unless you like the tree.
If I was the OP and I liked the tree, it would have been a gift to even allow the neighbor to cut it down at their expense (that's your tree that you like, right?). Instead they gave them that gift plus $2,000+ dollars in splitting costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
In all honestly, i don't really care for the Tree at this time, but he mentioned a good point about all the hurricane and stuff, last thing i want is for the tree to fall on his house... also the property will be cleaner, I agreed to that.

I asked him to handle it, cutting the tree, I will pay for half. He agreed to it, but i saw his wife other day she acts all pissed off, couple of times, I waved at her, and she didn't respond. She used to be wave back, not sure if it's tree related, I tend to over thinking a lot. We don't really talk. just waving and stuff.

Also, just out of curiously, do you guys know if the tree falls on his property will my home insurance covers the repairs?
His "homeowners would pay him and come after you. If you really don't care about the tree split the cost with him to remove it and he pays for a new tree to replace it.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
His "homeowners would pay him and come after you. If you really don't care about the tree split the cost with him to remove it and he pays for a new tree to replace it.
No one came after us when our tree fell into the neighbor's yard during a storm.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:56 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I love trees, so I would keep it, & let him trim the limbs over his fence. If it provides shade in the summer, it might be helping on the utility bill too.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:19 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I would get a certified arborist (not a landscaper) to come and evaluate the health of the tree. If it's fine, then think about if YOU want to take it down anyway. If it's healthy, think real hard about how it will look without it. Things often look much more bare than we think they will.

He is always free to cut any branches that are hanging into his yard (and pay for it)

If it's unhealthy, then it's a no-brainer and maybe you can get him to pay for half.

If you take it down, I would still want to handle the contractor though. Since it's on your property, it's not something you can say to him to get done and you will give him the check. I don't even think a tree removal service will do that and you might need a permit from the town as well.

Trees are beautiful, but they do need to be checked once in a while when they are close to houses.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:19 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
Thanks for all the good advice. I feel better now..

I was feeling a little guilty to have him pay for half of it, but he kept on offering, it is my tree after all.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:27 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
I'm actually kind of shocked that your neighbor is willing to pay over 2K to have you take your tree down. If I was him I would at least start by just cutting the branches that are encroaching on his property and see if that solves the problem. It just seems like a rash decision to immediately cut the whole thing down.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
His "homeowners would pay him and come after you
This is wrong. most trees falling on the property of others are considered "acts of god" and there's nobody to go after. If there is a tree that has not been healthy and has been a hazard then the insurance company might have a leg to stand on, but any tree with leaves on it isn't something any insurer is going after anybody for.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Tree didn't grow overnight.

How long was he there?

he can legally cut branches that hang over on his property.

solar panels involved?

when trees become undesirable because leaves blow over onto the other guys property, tough nuggies.

Does he support human caused global warming?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Tree didn't grow overnight.

How long was he there?

he can legally cut branches that hang over on his property.

Solar panels involved?

when trees become undesirable because leaves blow over onto the other guys property, tough nuggies.

Does he support human caused global warming?
im glad kracer mentioned this. it could be very important depending on how you plan to proceed. could have an impact on homeowners coverage and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: