Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,027,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Everyone is getting married at 23 (which is earlier than what my parents' generation got married at) and most New Jerseyans met their spouse through high school and I absolutely hated everyone from my hometown.
https://www.livescience.com/27974-wo...ge-states.html

According to this, New Jersey has the fourth oldest median marriage age of the 50 states. The second part of your sentence is equally nonsense. You did manage to get the third part right, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 02:53 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
I absolutely hated everyone from my hometown.
Have you ever considered that the feeling might have been mutual?
Isn't it time to consider why that mutual feeling might be so?
Doesn't your parents' medical insurance have coverage for the psych therapy that you so obviously need?

Old 04-24-2019, 03:09 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
See the thing with NJ is that the state is not great for singles. You can't afford the state unless you have a spouse. Everyone is getting married at 23 (which is earlier than what my parents' generation got married at) and most New Jerseyans met their spouse through high school and I absolutely hated everyone from my hometown. I never liked one girl from my hometown, but most people who grew up in NJ did.

I never planned on getting married or having kids like most New Jerseyans. NJ is also a state made for "raising children". I definitely can't afford NJ if I don't want marriage. I never ever had a gf in my life, but I want to be in a relationship someday.
Wrong. Once again, there’s data out there if you care to look at it. https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...s/marital.html

The average age of marriage is higher in NJ than most states (we’re one of the few states where the average age of marriage for males is over 30).
Your parents’ generation got married earlier than the current generation. And that’s a nationwide trend, not just NJ.

As an unmarried person in my 30s in NJ, we exist.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:14 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Wrong. Once again, there’s data out there if you care to look at it. https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...s/marital.html

The average age of marriage is higher in NJ than most states (we’re one of the few states where the average age of marriage for males is over 30).
Your parents’ generation got married earlier than the current generation. And that’s a nationwide trend, not just NJ.

Please!
The OP clearly did the necessary scientific research by... walking around a few shopping malls... stalking NJ suburbanites... and then dreaming-up strange misconceptions in his fevered brain.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:34 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
Affordability in nice towns with good school districts while maintaining access to premium job pools. Simple.
This is it. Pretty simple really.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 AM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
West of 287? Boulder, CO; Nashville, TN

Old 04-25-2019, 01:22 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
West of 287? Boulder, CO; Nashville, TN
wtf

Old 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Lol you didn't make sense just now, I think you made a mistake and meant to put the word "mall" instead of "local parks". Some parks are good for handicapped people (paved walkways and flat land), but not hiking trails.
That is why I wrote local parks. They are typically small, flat and have paved paths. Very good for people with mobility issues...

Old 05-01-2019, 09:01 AM

10,483 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Isnt that basically the entire population of people living in Hoboken, Morristown, Montclair and Belmar in the summer?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
In my lifetime, I would think the Northeast will be the new rust belt. Younger people are fleeing to areas that never grew in the past like Charlotte, NC; Reno, NV; and small metropolitan areas that are growing. No young person in NJ can survive unless they were some prestigious college student who already had a ton of experience on their resume.

The northeast rust belt collapsed decades ago. Charlotte, like Atlanta, has grown ten fold in the last few decades. Never grew? Hardly.

Quote:
Yeah but watch, all of you young New Jerseyans are going to suffer and move back into your parents. NJ does not pay enough to suit its high cost of living like other high COL areas around the country. Hopefully NJ will pass its unrealistic $15 per hour law as the new minimum wage.

NJ is getting so crowded with high income earners nobody goes there any longer. Is that what you were trying to say? (TY Yogi).

Quote:
See the thing with NJ is that the state is not great for singles. You can't afford the state unless you have a spouse. Everyone is getting married at 23 (which is earlier than what my parents' generation got married at) and most New Jerseyans met their spouse through high school and I absolutely hated everyone from my hometown. I never liked one girl from my hometown, but most people who grew up in NJ did.

I never planned on getting married or having kids like most New Jerseyans. NJ is also a state made for "raising children". I definitely can't afford NJ if I don't want marriage. I never ever had a gf in my life, but I want to be in a relationship someday.

I know plenty of people age 23 who are not married. They are barely out of a prestigious university. And therefore, they did not meet their spouse through high school.

I would not equate people not liking you with the plenty of people who grew up in NJ and enjoyed many of the girls from your hometown.

So, you have two choices. Move from the state which is made for raising children. Or, start a relationship and stay in NJ.

Dude, you are really out there with a lot of generalizations (mostly inaccurate) which are destroying your life. Open your mind, start learning facts, and you will find that there is a whole new world out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey