Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we move or stay
Stay in NYC (east side midtown) 3 14.29%
Move to Princeton 4 19.05%
Move to Highlandpark/Edison area 0 0%
Move closer to city Jersey City/Hoboken etc. 8 38.10%
Save money move to NJ - other city 9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 11,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Try it for a few months, see how you feel. It's not a super fun commute, admittedly, but you might find it's worth it for what you want.

There's also no guarantee that work is going to stay in Cranbury either, you know? They might move out there and find it doesn't work for them either.
Yes, true. They are a biotech company so moving to this area puts them closer to a lot of other companies in the field. I think we may just try it out for a year and see how rough the commute is. That also may be enough time for us to get our fill of the city and be more ready to move out to NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 AM

I think we will try it out for a year and see how the commute goes. That may give us enough time to get the city more out of our system (although I think we are just city people in general). He did a test run of the commute and it was about an hour on the train plus a 20 min shuttle and a 20 min walk from penn station. A lot of people are staying in the city and commuting so he isn't the only one at least.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
If you move to nj you will save on the city tax for both of you. Also commuting everyday from the city is going to be expensive if you drive or if you take the train. I don’t see how it makes financial sense to stay in Manhattan unless your rent is unusually low. Owning a car in nyc comes with crazy high parking rates or the hassle of finding a space along with shoveling snow.
Yes, it would be great to save money on taxes and rent. We currently don't have a car so we are saving there but if we moved would have to add back in car insurance/parking/gas. We don't plan on having a car if we stay in the city. We are hoping that his company will contribute to the commute costs aka the train pass. If they do not I think we would have to move to find cheaper rent.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Commute from Brooklyn in a neighborhood closer to the Verrazzano. You'll still be in the city and have access to the subways and all that.

Commute from Jersey City and you won't really miss out on anything city, but you'll save city income tax.

Commute from New Brunswick, but it'll be a big drop off in urbanity. But it's the only other place that's really actually urban whatsoever in that region. Somerville and Westwood have nice downtowns, but they're still for families living in the suburbs. Could be an option, though, if you're okay with that.

I agree with the commuting from Philly. I commuted from South Philly to Trenton for work. If you live off the 95 somewhere, it's an easy reverse commute all the way up. If you live in a neighborhood northeast of Center City, you cut out some traffic. Like Fishtown especially. You won't be missing out on anything city, but your commute is easier than anything from NYC.

Wild card option would be the shore. Asbury Park is making a name for itself as a new destination at the shore. Lots of NYC money is moving down there. Their restaurant and bar scene is very impressive and expanding. A new luxury hotel/condo development is going up there. It's not NYC, you won't be super close to NYC, but there's a train that goes to NYC from Asbury and it has an actual downtown and you'll have the beach right there.

Same as above goes for Red Bank, just not right on the beach though it's close to it and a little closer to NYC.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:23 AM

538 posts, read 733,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Wild card option would be the shore. Asbury Park is making a name for itself as a new destination at the shore. Lots of NYC money is moving down there. Their restaurant and bar scene is very impressive and expanding. A new luxury hotel/condo development is going up there. It's not NYC, you won't be super close to NYC, but there's a train that goes to NYC from Asbury and it has an actual downtown and you'll have the beach right there.

Same as above goes for Red Bank, just not right on the beach though it's close to it and a little closer to NYC.
I was thinking of recommending Asbury Park, as if I didn't have a kid and was looking at working there that's probably what I'd think of first. (Downtown Newark could also be worth a think.)

Old 05-07-2019, 09:39 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
I was thinking of recommending Asbury Park, as if I didn't have a kid and was looking at working there that's probably what I'd think of first. (Downtown Newark could also be worth a think.)
It depends on what you want. Asbury Park has probably more going on than downtown Newark and it has the beaches. If you want that, it's a great place. But, if you want convenience to NYC every night/weekend, downtown Newark is the better option.

Also, downtown Newark is definitely something only certain people can handle right now. It's not extremely safe yet, but it's getting better. The restaurant scene is improving. There is a Whole Foods. There are lots of new residential projects in both downtown and the Ironbound. OP, if you think downtown Newark and the Ironbound are potential options, I would definitely consider them. I just don't often recommend them because they're not for everyone. But, you'll have easy train access to work plus 24/7 PATH to Manhattan or even NJT to Penn. Some of the newer places in Newark, specifically the Ironbound, have shuttles to/from Penn Station during the day or at least rush hours. The areas are fantastic during the day, and the Ironbound is perfectly safe at all times IMO. Downtown is a bit iffier, but if you're street smart it's fine.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:30 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blalli View Post
I think we will try it out for a year and see how the commute goes. That may give us enough time to get the city more out of our system (although I think we are just city people in general). He did a test run of the commute and it was about an hour on the train plus a 20 min shuttle and a 20 min walk from penn station. A lot of people are staying in the city and commuting so he isn't the only one at least.
What is the total commute time? I mean from the time that he locks the apartment door until he's entering the building where he'll be working. If he has an eleven to twelve hour day, I doubt that you'll be going out very often.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What is the total commute time? I mean from the time that he locks the apartment door until he's entering the building where he'll be working. If he has an eleven to twelve hour day, I doubt that you'll be going out very often.
Its about an hour and half-45 min commute time we think. Need to test it out a few more times to see though. We already don't go out on weeknights so it would be mostly a weekend thing.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
It depends on what you want. Asbury Park has probably more going on than downtown Newark and it has the beaches. If you want that, it's a great place. But, if you want convenience to NYC every night/weekend, downtown Newark is the better option.

Also, downtown Newark is definitely something only certain people can handle right now. It's not extremely safe yet, but it's getting better. The restaurant scene is improving. There is a Whole Foods. There are lots of new residential projects in both downtown and the Ironbound. OP, if you think downtown Newark and the Ironbound are potential options, I would definitely consider them. I just don't often recommend them because they're not for everyone. But, you'll have easy train access to work plus 24/7 PATH to Manhattan or even NJT to Penn. Some of the newer places in Newark, specifically the Ironbound, have shuttles to/from Penn Station during the day or at least rush hours. The areas are fantastic during the day, and the Ironbound is perfectly safe at all times IMO. Downtown is a bit iffier, but if you're street smart it's fine.
Quote:
Commute from Brooklyn in a neighborhood closer to the Verrazzano. You'll still be in the city and have access to the subways and all that.

Commute from Jersey City and you won't really miss out on anything city, but you'll save city income tax.

Commute from New Brunswick, but it'll be a big drop off in urbanity. But it's the only other place that's really actually urban whatsoever in that region. Somerville and Westwood have nice downtowns, but they're still for families living in the suburbs. Could be an option, though, if you're okay with that.

I agree with the commuting from Philly. I commuted from South Philly to Trenton for work. If you live off the 95 somewhere, it's an easy reverse commute all the way up. If you live in a neighborhood northeast of Center City, you cut out some traffic. Like Fishtown especially. You won't be missing out on anything city, but your commute is easier than anything from NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Thank you this is very helpful!! We are not from the NJ so it helpful to know about other city options. Hadn't really considered Philly but that is nice it is a reverse and commute. Something to consider.

Ashbury/Red Bank also sounds intriguing! Nice that there is some downtown area and a food scene with a train to NYC. Plus a beach. I think having at least some form of downtown scene would be ideal for us.

I have lived in New Orleans before so I don't have too many worries about safeness of Newark. I got some street smarts from living there for sure. We will probably look into Newark vs Jersey City. I feel like moving to JC doesn't really save us a ton of time and we would rather just stay where we are if we are staying that close to the city. It seems rent isn't that much cheaper there but at least taxes are less!

We previously lived in Chapel Hill so we have done the college town living as young professionals so Princeton seems a little too close to that although I know its a nice and beautiful town. We felt it was just too small for us so worried about getting that same feeling again if we live there.

I have heard mixed things about New Brunswick being too college and not good for young professionals but at least it has a somewhat urban feel to it.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 AM

560 posts, read 540,266 times
Quote:

I was gonna post similar to above. I have more insight as I live 25 mins from Princeton proper and Cranberry is only 10 mins from my office in Trenton. I would really try the commute practice run for at least minimum 6 months to a year to really experience commute days in all kinds of seasons.

If your husband find it somewhat tolerable, then a win win for you guys. But if you decide to move, I wouldn't really move to Princeton especially with your budget for under 2K because it's largely a mix of upper middle classes families spending weekends in downtown along with regular mix of university aged kids. In order to find something 2k and under you'll have to look in outer laying areas from Princeton which is all suburbia.

I always drive pass the major cross points with commuters from Philly heading to Trenton/general vicinity. Philly is a great mix of urban, but if you want to live in NJ then definitely Asbury Park. It is not anything like NYC by any means, but it has a boardwalk covered with fun restaurants and bars, downtown and the train from there goes to NYC for your other things in NYC.

Philly/Asbury Park would be the two towns that fit your urban and commute criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey