Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,992 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband just got a job in Atlantic County. He will be splitting his time between Atlantic City and Galloway. We are coming from North Bergen, NJ (which we despise- very congested, commuter town, no real sense of community. I digress)

We are looking to buy our first home. Unsure of exactly what our budget will be

A little bit about us:
We have a 9 month old daughter and would like to continue to grow our family. My mother will most likely be moving with us as well. We are Catholic and would love to find a close knit community of like minded people. We also love the beach.

Things that are important to us: family oriented, downtown area, outdoor activities

Thank you!

Last edited by SellyC; 10-21-2019 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,755,467 times
I’m taking a guess the hubby is working for Stockton University. The best schools in the Atlantic County area would be for you to live in are Linwood and Port Republic, which are not great but are at least good. However, they feed into lesser quality high schools. You may want to consider Catholic school then if you can afford it, which opens up options to live elsewhere.

FYI North Bergen will probably have more sense of community than anywhere in Atlantic County. Hammonton maybe has a little of it, but that’s it. Ventnor and Margate to a degree, but the dominant culture there is more Jewish, and also it’s mostly seasonal summer residents who live elsewhere for the majority of the year.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 984 times
I grew up on Atlantic Country island, and still own a home in the area. The towns of Margate and Longport would work well for you. Excellent elementary and middle school, class sizes very small. Longport sends its kids to Margate. By the time your kids would be in high school you will be able to choose going to Ocean city HS, instead of Atlantic City. Taxes are much cheaper in these two towns than where the other poster suggested. Margate has many cute houses 2-5 blocks back from the beach with are affordable. The JCC there is used by all types of people, day camps, pools, tennis, etc. There is still a Catholic church as well as one in Ventnor. Lots of restaurants that are open all year. You would be part of a real community as the parents are active. The library is beautiful and has a great childrens room, as well as nice activities for kids. My grand daughters attend when they visit from New York City and love it. The playgrounds are not wonderful, but you have the beach. And, the Ocean city rides for small children, and Storybook land. You can get discount tickets in the winter before the season.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:02 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
You don't necessarily have to live at the shore. You can get much more home for your money on the mainland. I live in Monroe Twp and it's only a 25 minute drive to Galloway. I would suggest Hammonton to give a look too. It still retains it's designation as "The most Italian town in NJ" so will have a decent Catholic population. It has an old but cute downtown, and many beautiful farmhouses with land as well as newer construction and new construction.

Galloway itself is more affordable than Linwood and some other towns will be, but there's no downtown area and I don't know that it's a large Catholic population. Margate is more Jewish, and be aware your kids would have to go to Atlantic City High School from Margate. Margate and Longport especially are hugely expensive with high property taxes. Longport is pretty deserted in the off season.

You might also look in the Mays Landing area.

Beach towns to me depend what your budget is. A single family home in any of the beach towns in going to be half a million or more, and that won't be near the beach. Most of the towns a single family will be much more than that.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Best to ask in the south Jersey subforum.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:04 AM

32,943 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Best to ask in the south Jersey subforum.
Leps and ocnj are the ones who would answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey