Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 06:09 PM

192 posts, read 219,801 times

Advertisements

I just don’t get it!!!!!! This virus started with one person in China, all of a sudden it’s all over the world
How is this possible
I N a short period of time? The news media will drive you crazy an d make you feel like it’s the end of the world
Every year people get colds and flu people get sick some people die from it
What make this so different, I know it’s more powerful
There is attention paid to this because so many people are getting tested so you will see more positive results
If everyone got tested for the flu you would probably get the same results

Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 06:54 PM

206 posts, read 116,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrrek View Post
I just don’t get it!!!!!! This virus started with one person in China, all of a sudden it’s all over the world
How is this possible
I N a short period of time? The news media will drive you crazy an d make you feel like it’s the end of the world
Every year people get colds and flu people get sick some people die from it
What make this so different, I know it’s more powerful
There is attention paid to this because so many people are getting tested so you will see more positive results
If everyone got tested for the flu you would probably get the same results

Am I missing something here?
Yes you are. This virus is highly infectious. Much more than the flu. It's also more deadly. You want me to link news articles or scientific studies detailing these facts I will. Or you can do a quick google search.

Part of the problem with our response in this country is a lack of vigilance. This thing is serious.

If you are supposed to be quarantined, follow the rules and stay home. Others in your house should follow suit or get evaluated.

People putting down others for wearing a mask are in the wrong. Masks help prevent whatever is in your or anyone else's disease filled mouth spray outwards (even at a microscopic level). It also to a lesser degree prevents said spray from going into your airway.

Wash your hands. Practice social distancing. We will hopefully have enough test kits and masks for health care providers soon.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:55 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Italy had its first death due to COVID-19 on Feb 21. A month later, they have 4,032 deaths from COVID-19.

And consider that is WITH total lockdown and quarantine.

So ... what do you think that death toll number would be if they were allowed to run around, packing every cafe in Milan and all the soccer games, and all of the bars and clubs? Letting tourists run free to take the disease wherever they pleased...

Why don't you give a guess?

Old 03-20-2020, 07:26 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,874,668 times
China and northern Italy actually have direct flights because a lot of Chinese workers and employers have moved there to create Italian based luxury goods. So for Chinese New Year a lot of people went home. And then some returned to work.
https://www.rebellionresearch.com/bl...etter-or-worse

This virus is spread via droplets. So if you cough into your sleeve, scratch your elbow and then hang onto a subway pole you just spread it. Stainless steel is generally very resistant to spreading germs, but in this case it can live for three days on that stainless steel pole.

Generally you get the flu, feel horrible, stay home and self isolate naturally, because going to work is, well, work. This is a flu where you don't feel bad until five days later, with plenty of time to spread. You can be a carrier without even getting a fever, go to work, have dinner, catch a taxi home... that's now everyone at work, the front door at work, your waiter, the person who washes the napkins, the bussing staff, the cab driver and everyone who gets into that cab for three days.

So that's how this works, especially in a global economy where half the stuff in your house came from China.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:28 PM

192 posts, read 219,801 times
Thanks for your responses! Please don’t read what I said in the wrong way , I am very nervous about this for my family and know that that it is highly infectious
My questions was geared more as to how it spread to every country in the world and so many people so fast

Old 03-20-2020, 08:08 PM

551 posts, read 1,189,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrrek View Post
Thanks for your responses! Please don’t read what I said in the wrong way , I am very nervous about this for my family and know that that it is highly infectious
My questions was geared more as to how it spread to every country in the world and so many people so fast
Global economy. Airplanes make travel easy. In the past, it took weeks to months to travel via ships and certain locations were off limits. Now, every major metropolis has an airport in all continents.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:13 PM

Planes man. Planes. Have you ever had anyone stop you from getting on a plane when you had a bit of a fever? Nope, the name on the passport matches the one on the ticket and away you go.

When people get on a plane they have a tendency to grab onto the back of seats as you go down the aisle, especially if they go to the bathroom while it's moving. So that's 150 people pretty quickly on an 8 hour flight when they think they just had some bad airplane chicken and you later think the same thing but you see your family, have dinner with your parents who then go to church.

If someone can accidentally infect five people in a day how many people were infected in a week? It's not 35.

You get five, then those 5 get five more and now those 25 get 5 each, 125 get 5, 625 get 5, 3,125 get 5, 15,625 people then get 5 people each and the end of the week 78,125 have been exposed to... you. Exponents are, well, exponential.

Don't ask about day 10 by the way, it's more than the population of New York.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Clearly a new decision has been made to set the economy on fire and burn the house down to minimize potential deaths from disease. I hope it was worth it.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:50 PM

Well, in Italy and China they're getting both, I think everyone else's goal is to come out with one of these things minimized. We're way past South Korea's location on the curve and headed toward's Italy's ratio.

Fun fact: S. Korea and the US both had their first cases disclosed on the same day.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...et-its-success

Old 03-21-2020, 04:45 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,472,613 times
They need a plan B and start marshaling resources/making preparations for plan B if mass isolation doesn't work. I don't have the answers for what a plan B should look like, but the wheels of the economy will simply fly off if mass isolation lasts too long, which I believe won't lend well to caring for/protecting the vulnerable. Mass isolation until when/if we ever have a vaccine simply doesn't seem feasible to me, and people may just have to adapt to a new normal of living in a world with an endemic COVID-19 if months of mass isolation doesn't get a handle on it.

One particular area of study that I'd like to see is whether someone can have COVID-19 more than once (I'd even volunteer to get infected and reinfected for this because I'm young, healthy, and have been working from home.). I read some articles that said the infected should have some immunity from subsequent infections, but hard evidence would be nice. If the chance of getting it twice is severely reduced, the best plan of action may be to just put the vulnerable into protective isolation and let this thing run its course through the population. The vulnerable should gain herd immunity once a certain percentage of people have developed immunity.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 03-21-2020 at 05:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: