Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 17,340 times

Advertisements

We have a three year old with Mod/HF Autism and Hyperlexia. His testing places him in mod/severe disability range on social, language etc and in exceptionally gifted in reading, writing and math. He is currently in a private typical preschool and doing well but not learning what he needs to catch up to peers in lower funtioning areas and not being challenged in areas of superior functioning.

This poor kid (and I) have been dragged through the mud on services, placement etc. He just turned three and we have already had 8 IEP/IFSP meetings and been to mediation three times since he was 18 months old. We've made some good progress but Ive had to fight so hard and even after I got some of what I wanted, I ended up having to educate and train most of the staff myself. I need warm, caring, very competent people helping him to become all he can be.

I really need to find a School or School District that is skilled in dealing with children with Autism who have a huge scatter of levels of functioning and ability. Or even a really great school period would be nice. Any suggestions you have (to go to or stay away from) are so incredibly appreciated.

Central to Northern NJ would be great. Thanks so much.

Holly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandelisa View Post
We have a three year old with Mod/HF Autism and Hyperlexia. His testing places him in mod/severe disability range on social, language etc and in exceptionally gifted in reading, writing and math. He is currently in a private typical preschool and doing well but not learning what he needs to catch up to peers in lower funtioning areas and not being challenged in areas of superior functioning.

This poor kid (and I) have been dragged through the mud on services, placement etc. He just turned three and we have already had 8 IEP/IFSP meetings and been to mediation three times since he was 18 months old. We've made some good progress but Ive had to fight so hard and even after I got some of what I wanted, I ended up having to educate and train most of the staff myself. I need warm, caring, very competent people helping him to become all he can be.

I really need to find a School or School District that is skilled in dealing with children with Autism who have a huge scatter of levels of functioning and ability. Or even a really great school period would be nice. Any suggestions you have (to go to or stay away from) are so incredibly appreciated.

Holly
My business' partner's son attended ECLC in Chatham. They also have a location in HoHokus. Their website is ECLC of New Jersey- Home Page

Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Check out Statewide Parent Advocacy Network, Inc. - serving the families of New Jersey

They will be able to provide you with some information

Good luck

Old 04-29-2008, 01:35 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandelisa View Post

Holly
The good thing about my working with physicians, doctors and research scientist is that I hear about everything and know lots and lots of people. There is a Neurological Institute of NJ (NINJ) at UMDNJ in Newark and Dr. Nicholas Ponzio would talk to you over the phone or via e-mail and recommend some great schools. He is very passionate about these disorders and about the mistreatment of children with disabilities. He works with autism in a research capacity and out of the NINJ. That's Northern, NJ.

Also in Central, NJ at JFK Medical Center in Edison, there is a doctor Nancy Isenberg who would also speak to you over the phone and/or e-mail. In both cases, e-mail would probably be better. Dr. Ponzio is likely to get back to you within 1-2 hours. He's the best and is very very responsive.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 17,340 times
Thank you all so much for the information and replies. This is very helpfull and I will be following up on all of them. The Dr. sounds fantastic, cant wait to talk with him and I will check out those webistes for families ASAP.

Holly

Old 05-12-2008, 05:09 AM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
Edison has great programs!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 AM

111 posts, read 431,728 times
Two years ago we were at the same place you are now. My son was dx with mild pdd-nos. We never did get the dx of hyperlexia but some profeesionals did suggest he had it. He does luve his letters and words.

My advice to you is to concentrate on his weaknesses such as language (receptive, speech, ect. When you feel he is ready concentrate on pragmatic speech, pragmatic speech is basically how we communicate with each other, so it at the heart of this dx.

If he has good focus, your lucky, but if he doesn't transition well I would also start to work on this.

While doing all of that, its important to keep your kids self esteem up, so keep him in activites such as art if he enjoys it and does well. We have my son in Jiu Jitsu, Art, Swimming. He hated soccor. See a trend, its all individual sports.

Also playdates are important, but they have to be with good role models, not all kids are good playdates.

At 3 years old, learning is rote (I maybe spelling this wrong). The alphabet, numbers, shapes is all memorization and direct. Children understand this and gravitate to this.
Its more important that when he reads he understands what he is reading and not just reading sight words. Read a book to him/her and ask questions this will help regarding comprehension of the story. Also when ready its important the child infer regarding a story. Infering helps thinking outside the box and thats when you know a child really understands what is being said to him.

Use his hyperlexia dx to help him improve his language, such as writing sentences and having him use it in one. Write his favorite part of a story or let hem/her tell you his favorite part.

All suggestions is just my opinion and when you know he is ready you can work on it.

Best advice I can give it to get the most services which will help improve his weaknesses.

Regarding schools, I was always told to stay in a larger school district because they have the most services/programs set up, being they a larger student body. I would concentrate on school distircts which stress least restrictive enviornment and integration, they all say they do but that is false. Not all have true inclusive programs and social skills programs.

I heard the following were good.
-Ridgewood
-Summit
-Livingston
-Millburn
-Princeton
-The Caldwells
-New Providence (small though)
See a trend, all expensive areas.

Its best to call the SPE Superintendant and ask what services they provide, they are usually accomodating over the phone.

I live in Long Island but looked into moving to NJ to be closer to family, but the market was to crazy for such a big move and my son is getting good services. If you move to LI we have great services too. Specically the following:
-Commack
-Northport
-Lindenhurst
-Half Hallow Hills
-Levittown
-Plainview
-Oceanside

The above is just my opinion, so I hope no one took offese.
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey