Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 03:16 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times

Advertisements

Within the next couple of weeks, we're thinking about doing some hiking or going to a botanical garden to look at fall colors. We're thinking that probably further south would make more sense given how late it is in the season, so I'm asking for recommendations and what to expect. Additionally, any restaurant recommendations near these sites would be very welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 04:18 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
I am not sure. We had some good color here in Central/Coastal NJ, but the high winds of the other day took a lot of leaves away and left some bare trees. Not sure if that affected the whole state.

Yes, south would be better, since it is rather late in the season.

https://www.visitnj.org/article/autu...ves-new-jersey

Old 11-05-2020, 05:03 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,425,299 times
It'll be too late.

"11/2/20…
Currently…
Look to the southern third of the state and coastal areas for color. ..."

https://www.njhiking.com/nj-fall-foliage/

Old 11-05-2020, 07:10 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not sure. We had some good color here in Central/Coastal NJ, but the high winds of the other day took a lot of leaves away and left some bare trees. Not sure if that affected the whole state.

Yes, south would be better, since it is rather late in the season.

https://www.visitnj.org/article/autu...ves-new-jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It'll be too late.

"11/2/20…
Currently…
Look to the southern third of the state and coastal areas for color. ..."

https://www.njhiking.com/nj-fall-foliage/
Thanks to both of you for these links! I think we'll be moving our trip to within the next week to South Jersey since it seems like that's our best bet.

From the looks of it, we're leaning Maurice River Buffs or Wharton State Forest.

Do you have any recommendations on the way to either from NYC to grab a bite and back?

Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Thanks to both of you for these links! I think we'll be moving our trip to within the next week to South Jersey since it seems like that's our best bet.

From the looks of it, we're leaning Maurice River Buffs or Wharton State Forest.

Do you have any recommendations on the way to either from NYC to grab a bite and back?

Thanks again!
Batsto is nice, but you might see a few more leaves along the Maurice. You can't go wrong with either for a nice day in the woods.

I look for places to eat when I'm hungry. You'll be in the car for a while so who knows. If you happen to be anywhere in the area, go to the Pic-A-Lilli Inn.

Pic-A-Lilli Inn | Shamong, NJ | American Restaurant

Old 11-05-2020, 09:15 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Batsto is nice, but you might see a few more leaves along the Maurice. You can't go wrong with either for a nice day in the woods.

I look for places to eat when I'm hungry. You'll be in the car for a while so who knows. If you happen to be anywhere in the area, go to the Pic-A-Lilli Inn.

Pic-A-Lilli Inn | Shamong, NJ | American Restaurant
This Maurice River Bluffs looks great. I never heard of it. Just under two hours for me.

I might have to check that out.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:37 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,996,089 times
I always thought the first week of November is the peek of fall color for NJ.

I have noticed the last few season's Japanese Maples that are normally fire red during the fall peek have been very muted.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:13 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,042,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post

I have noticed the last few season's Japanese Maples that are normally fire red during the fall peek have been very muted.
This is peak weekend for NJ but the storms took alot of the leaves down. Any other recommendations plus north jersey?

Old 11-06-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post

The swamp maples usually turn a pretty shade of red, but didn't this year.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:10 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,326,501 times
My trees here in Jersey City are having better color this year than the past few. Maples in bright colors now, ginkgo and a few other maples are jussssst starting to turn. My oak and Japanese maple are still totally green.

Past two years a lot of my trees stayed green quite late and then we had deep freezes in mid November that killed the leaves off before they could change color. Don’t think there’s much risk of that this year. The long term outlook suggests we’re in for a warm November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey