Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2020, 12:36 PM

173 posts, read 216,356 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking at a house in Glen Rock very close to the high school, a few streets over from train tracks. Can anyone comment on train noise in this area? Seller’s agent said trains aren’t allowed to blow horns at night — that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 11:22 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times
You might occasionally hear a train coming and a small toot. Not sure if your concern is from a nuisance standpoint on your behalf, but Glen Rock is a very desirable town. Having a train nearby will minimally impact real estate value, if at all.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:35 PM

522 posts, read 992,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Hi, we are looking at a house in Glen Rock very close to the high school, a few streets over from train tracks. Can anyone comment on train noise in this area? Seller’s agent said trains aren’t allowed to blow horns at night — that true?
I think trains "have to" blow horns when approaching station. But at night it will be one train every hour or maybe every two hours. Its not like say the NEC corridor

Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
depends how many streets away, but unless you are right next to it, no big deal. While outside, you might hear a train whistle, but then you will say to yourself "oh, I forgot the train is that close". If your house is walkable to the train station, then it is a huge plus. In pre-pandemic, in a similar town, I paid $100K more for a house to be able to walk to the train.
I'm paying for 1 less car/insurance/parking, do not having to deal with a 3-4 year wait for a parking pass, and I will get the money back (hopefully)

Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
I think trains "have to" blow horns when approaching station. But at night it will be one train every hour or maybe every two hours. Its not like say the NEC corridor
Passenger NJT trains do not run between roughly 1:00 am and 6:00 am. There might be a rare freight train during the night...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey