Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:23 AM

141 posts, read 208,894 times

Advertisements

Been considering going back to the office in NYC at least once a week starting next month.

I've looked on the NJT site and while they mention a lot of Covid related safety measures they have/are taking I haven't seen anything about actual seating on the trains. They say ridership is down 90% - but I suspect in coming weeks that will change with more people vaccinated and summer break upon us.

Has anyone made this commute recently? Were you able to social distance yourself on the train; i.e. not have to sit right next to someone?

I'd be catching a train before 6:30am and intend make a return trip late afternoon. Would love to hear recent experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 11:44 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivyaleah View Post
Been considering going back to the office in NYC at least once a week starting next month.

I've looked on the NJT site and while they mention a lot of Covid related safety measures they have/are taking I haven't seen anything about actual seating on the trains. They say ridership is down 90% - but I suspect in coming weeks that will change with more people vaccinated and summer break upon us.

Has anyone made this commute recently? Were you able to social distance yourself on the train; i.e. not have to sit right next to someone?

I'd be catching a train before 6:30am and intend make a return trip late afternoon. Would love to hear recent experiences.
I'm not a frequent NJT rail rider, but have been on a few times since COVID, mostly weekends and off-peak, and the trains haven't been crowded at all at those times (plenty of seats).

I ride PATH regularly, and although their ridership dropped by 90% in the early months of COVID, they've rebounded quite a lot. It's nowhere near the crush loads pre-pandemic, but seats are full and a lot of people standing. NJT buses in Hudson County are crowded at times too. I'd imagine NJT rail ridership has been increasing in recent months too.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:46 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,611 times
I'm going in this weekend, but I'm fully vaccinated. I'm more worried about the weirdos I've heard on the train these days than I am about Covid. I doubt they're anywhere close to full, so you should be able to keep your distance. Not for long though....

Old 05-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Thank you to both of you. Appreciate your time.

I'm fully vaccinated but still wouldn't want to have to sit right near a person.

As for weirdos - those have always been there. Can't tell you how many fights I've had with nut jobs in the decades I've been commuting. Nothing new I have a big mouth and can handle them LOL

Old 05-03-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivyaleah View Post
Thank you to both of you. Appreciate your time.

I'm fully vaccinated but still wouldn't want to have to sit right near a person.

As for weirdos - those have always been there. Can't tell you how many fights I've had with nut jobs in the decades I've been commuting. Nothing new I have a big mouth and can handle them LOL
I grew up in NYC, so I'm accustomed to weirdos, too, but apparently, Covid has created a special breed. I'll find out soon enough .

Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM

963 posts, read 723,108 times
I'm quite curious what happens later this summer. I think a lot of offices will be re-opening after Labor Day (mine included). NYC has the really tough challenge of transporting millions of people onto a small island in a relatively short time window each day. I'm guessing that if more than half of the office population decides to show up at work, social distancing wouldn't be possible on public transport. Hopefully vaccine rates are high enough and virus rates low enough that it won't matter.

But my normal pre-COVID bus was standing room only, and usually took a few passing busses before you could squeeze on. Take out every other row and/or adjacent seats and it becomes impossible to function. Assuming same would be true of train or subway too.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I'm quite curious what happens later this summer. I think a lot of offices will be re-opening after Labor Day (mine included). NYC has the really tough challenge of transporting millions of people onto a small island in a relatively short time window each day. I'm guessing that if more than half of the office population decides to show up at work, social distancing wouldn't be possible on public transport. Hopefully vaccine rates are high enough and virus rates low enough that it won't matter.

But my normal pre-COVID bus was standing room only, and usually took a few passing busses before you could squeeze on. Take out every other row and/or adjacent seats and it becomes impossible to function. Assuming same would be true of train or subway too.
Our company is targeting right after Labor Day to be in 100% - which includes a flex schedule for everyone if they want it, early in early out or vice versa.

Being I'm administrative (HR, finance, payroll) my primary boss has realized there's no reason for me to be there every day. He said it would be fine if I show my face on at least a weekly basis, perhaps 2x which I'm sure I can manage.

I had already changed my hours to start at 8am, leave at 4pm previous to the pandemic so commuting wasn't quite the nightmare for me as it is for most. My intention now is to be in by 7:30am (I'm a morning person so this doesn't really bother me) and leave at 3:30pm - this certainly should ensure my commute isn't too bad. My morning trip originated only 2 stops before mine so seating was a breeze. The end of day train wasn't exactly empty but I never had trouble getting a seat since I made sure to time myself to be there right before the train was loading.

I guess I'll judge the subway when I get there. If I'm only working 1-2x a week, grabbing a cab/Uber won't break my wallet especially since I found out my train fare is a lot cheaper - I just turned 62 and found out the cost is half than a regular RT ticket.

At least in NYC and environs most people are vaccinated now. Nearly my entire office is now too - just a few younger people who weren't yet eligible but that's now changed.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:37 AM

1,142 posts, read 858,690 times
I take a local bus to work every morning in Union County and it is almost back to normal - FULL. There are many times I have to stand on bus due to no available seats. Ridership WAS down 90% during beginning of the pandemic, but mostly back to normal now.

I also took the train into NYC last weekend and train was very full too. No seating restrictions either.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I take a local bus to work every morning in Union County and it is almost back to normal - FULL. There are many times I have to stand on bus due to no available seats. Ridership WAS down 90% during beginning of the pandemic, but mostly back to normal now.

I also took the train into NYC last weekend and train was very full too. No seating restrictions either.
Going this weekend, good to know.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:22 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I was hanging out with my friend tonight when her son called, who is a NJ Transit conductor. I asked him about the current level of ridership. He said it's been about 30% until this past week, when it's suddenly around 60%. He said the train are pretty busy except for the rush hour crowd, which hasn't yet returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: