Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 05:28 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a gay date and I'm looking for ideas.

He doesn't seem to like pescatarians and he is glad I am not one.

He is open to meeting at a restaurant, but doesn't seem crazy about them because he gets annoyed about signing with yucky pens and things like that. So, maybe avoiding a dine-in for awhile sit-down place would be good.

He likes going to gay bars. I'm not crazy about gay bars, but I'm more okay to go to one with someone else.

We agree that we should spend more than a few hours to make the trip for both of us more worthwhile.

We had discussed some thoughts on multiple dating culture in the US and we agreed that we are open to meeting other people if we haven't met in-person even once. However, if we do meet, then we would have a discussion. I told him that I would be okay with concentrating on one person only after meeting someone in-person, but this would need to be made clear.

Both of us like video games. He likes Runescape. Rpgs aren't bad to me, but I prefer platformers and interactive fiction games.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 07:41 PM

26 posts, read 21,947 times
I'd suggest the Zimmerli Art Museum on the Rutgers campus but I don't know if it is open to the public again. In any case, that is probably equally inconvenient to New York and Philadelphia.

Or the Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton Township, just east of Trenton. (Outside.) There is a restaurant on premises.

Museums, definitely a good date idea.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:09 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Without reading all your details I would suggest visiting New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ, 2 cool towns on the Delaware River across from each other. many interesting places, shops, etc,

Old 11-11-2021, 08:27 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Well, apart from video games, what do either of you like to do? Do either or both of you drive, or are you taking trains to meet?

If you like the thought of doing something indoors, the Zimmerli museum in New Brunswick is nice. The Mercer Museum in Doylestown is really cool, but it's much closer to Philly than it is to New York.

If you want to walk around outside, you could go to Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, Rutgers Gardens in New Brunswick, or if it's a nice warm day you could go to Asbury Park and walk the boardwalk.

You could do a "light" hike (not too grueling) at a place like South Mountain Reservation, which is closer to New York than it is to Philadelphia. There are nice views from the top.

I think some orchards in NJ are still open for apple picking (it's late in the season, but I think the season was running late this year).

There are also a lot of wineries, breweries, distilleries, etc. in NJ where you could sample some drinks and hang out. Some of those places have games, live music, or other entertainment options on weekends.

Quite a few restaurants these days are using online ordering/payment, where you scan a QR code at your table and order/pay online. That takes care of the yucky pen issue, or home slice could just carry his own pen.

Thinking more about this, if one or both of you have a car, I'd recommend meeting in New Brunswick in the early afternoon, maybe go to Rutgers Gardens for a stroll, go over to the Zimmerli and look at some art, go have dinner on George Street, and then either hit a bar (no gay bars in the area), or see if there's a show at the State Theater, NBPAC, or one of the comedy clubs or something to end the evening.

Or

You could meet near the shore at a winery or brewery, then head over to Asbury to walk the boardwalk, have dinner, and hit a bar there. There are some live music venues, some gay bars, and some other types of bars there.

Or

You could meet in New Hope or Lambertville and browse the quaint shops and cross the bridge from one town to the other, maybe take a walk on the towpath next to the canal on either side, and have a dinner and drink in either town. You'll both need cars to get there.

If you know a certain type of food he really likes, maybe we can help with restaurant recommendations.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:32 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Looking at a map of Manhattan to Philly; Cranberry, Monroe Township and East Windsor appear to be half way. There's a Working Dog Winery in Hightstown, NJ if that helps.

NY to Philly is almost a 2 hour hike. I'm down by Philly now, used to live in North Jersey about 15 minutes from Manhattan.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:33 AM

We both have cars.

Most of the gay places in the medium sized communities and niches have gone out of business because of the pandemic or lack of interest it looks like from my research. I think this date will have to be okay with that. He has never lived outside of his area. Even though there're gay bars in Philly and NYC, it's far for one of us :/ I don't need to go to a gay bar to have fun personally.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:27 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
We both have cars.

Most of the gay places in the medium sized communities and niches have gone out of business because of the pandemic or lack of interest it looks like from my research. I think this date will have to be okay with that. He has never lived outside of his area. Even though there're gay bars in Philly and NYC, it's far for one of us :/ I don't need to go to a gay bar to have fun personally.
Maybe he'd just feel more comfortable going to a gay bar for a date, for fear of how other people may perceive two men out on a date? I think you'll be fine just about anywhere in NJ, but maybe he's not so sure of that. IDK how old you guys are, but back in my day (I'm in my late 30s now) you did have to think about that stuff a little more.

Anyway, I think you have some good options in this thread to pick from. If you did want to find a gay bar as a backup option or a just-in-case, there are still one or two in New Hope, and a couple in Asbury Park. Otherwise not much else between NYC and Philly.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:19 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Maybe he'd just feel more comfortable going to a gay bar for a date, for fear of how other people may perceive two men out on a date? I think you'll be fine just about anywhere in NJ, but maybe he's not so sure of that. IDK how old you guys are, but back in my day (I'm in my late 30s now) you did have to think about that stuff a little more.

Anyway, I think you have some good options in this thread to pick from. If you did want to find a gay bar as a backup option or a just-in-case, there are still one or two in New Hope, and a couple in Asbury Park. Otherwise not much else between NYC and Philly.
I was discussing that with my very young lesbian co-worker. She has never even thought about leaving the suburbs.

I was like, gays and minorities used to go hang and live in the city, because the suburbs weren't that comfortable for them back in the day.

But things have changed a lot. There's more to do in the suburbs and people are more accepting. And the world is much more of a blend. I don't even think anybody would bat an eyebrow if two dudes started making out in any bar around these parts (Rutgers area). Or maybe I give people too much credit.

Anyway, many good suggestions.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

What's considered a gay bar in New Hope presently?

The Raven is permanently closed according to Yelp and this is the type of vibe and environment I know my date would've liked. Some of the things I've attempted to look up online, when I look further, they look like regular bars and not specifically catered toward lgbt.

He is in his early 30s and I am in my early 40s. I could pass by being in my early 30s.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
Donaldson Park in Highland Park, NJ. Johnson Park in Piscataway, NJ. Both are on the Raritan river. (Pick up) food in ethnic restaurants in New Brunswick or Edison. May be something indoors at Rutgers next door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey