Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 08:26 PM

18,473 posts, read 15,266,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well you better make up your mind to get used things like this happening.

Like every other democrat led or run state NJ is pushing to build more "affordable" housing, and much of it will be going where high density/multifamily nil to zero exits currently.

https://newjerseymonitor.com/2022/03...housing-units/
I don't know about that. There's not much room left in Livingston to build more apartment complexes. The farms, giant estates, and wooded areas that were here when I was a kid have already been bought by developers and filled with McMansions, over the past 3 decades, while they were still lax with the affordable housing laws. So unless they want to start building on the water reserve, I don't see them building a whole lot more.

What I could see developers doing is tearing down a lot of the old medical buildings and strip malls along the main street (Livingston Ave), and turning them into multi-use buildings, with apartments upstairs and stores, restaurants, and medical offices downstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 06:32 AM

5,159 posts, read 3,769,722 times
Cedar Hill sits on a nice plot of land bet they could get a bundle for that. Let 'em play golf at Crestmont.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:40 AM

18,473 posts, read 15,266,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Cedar Hill sits on a nice plot of land bet they could get a bundle for that. Let 'em play golf at Crestmont.
What makes you think Crestmont would accept Cedar Hill people?

Besides, both clubs are really full at the moment, so neither one has any incentive to sell, nor do they have the capacity for many more new members.

Crestmont actually tried to sell all those acres of extra wooded area, up on the hill, to a developer. All the new 'woke' residents of West Orange got together and protested and got the town to deny the sale. They said it would "harm the environment".

I'm sure the next weekend they were protesting for low income housing to be put in somebody else's town though.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:45 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Besides, both clubs are really full at the moment, so neither one has any incentive to sell, nor do they have the capacity for many more new members.

Crestmont actually tried to sell all those acres of extra wooded area, up on the hill, to a developer. All the new 'woke' residents of West Orange got together and protested and got the town to deny the sale. They said it would "harm the environment".

I'm sure the next weekend they were protesting for low income housing to be put in somebody else's town though.
Actually it was either a put up or shut up situation. Crestmont was going to sell the land regardless, so West Orange had to either pony up and buy it themselves, or step aside.

Guess which they chose? *LOL*

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/west-o...ps-development

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/west-o...pment-proposal

What they did with that open space at "The Rock"

· Open Space – The Township purchased a 94.5 acre subdivision of Crestmont Country Club for preservation; at “The Rock” (open space) on Route 10, clean-ups, tree planting, a pollinator garden, and the Township’s first apiary have been set up.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/west-o...al-initiatives

Last edited by BugsyPal; 10-02-2022 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-02-2022, 12:31 PM

5,159 posts, read 3,769,722 times
Quote:

I was halfway kidding.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:00 AM

306 posts, read 203,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweet10 View Post
Hi All -

I have a wife, 2 year old daughter and have another child due in March. I currently live and work in Manhattan. We are looking to relocate to New Jersey and are debating between Livingston and Scotch Plains. Also considered Westfield but it's looking a bit too expensive. We are looking for an area with good school system and also a decent Jewish population (important to my wife). How would you compare those two towns?

I heard Scotch Plains has gotten more diverse and the school system has been downgraded in ratings recently. I also am aware that the buses won't take you to school unless you're over 2.1 miles away. However, I heard Livingston could be a bit pretentious and there's a lot of wealthy people there. We are more middle class. Tough decision but would love to hear your thoughts and advice, especially if anyone lives in these towns.

Thank you,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I live in SP and I used to live next to Livingston (Florham Park).

SP is a fantastic place and we love it. However if you're concerned that it's gotten 'more diverse', then perhaps you should move to Livingston, or maybe a gated community in Florida or Texas. Just don't come here.

Old 11-14-2022, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 6,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Livingston is not just for ultra wealthy people living in Riker Hill section. There are lots of people living in condo, townhomes as well. I feel it is much better in terms of commute 9especially the northern part of Livingston). Scotch Plains might be good, if you need the 78 access or need to the Oak Tree Road frequently for Indian groceries or restaurants.
Yes, was looking at houses in Livingston recently. There are some houses in the 250K-450K range especially near S. Livingston Ave. and Northfield Rd. Livingston is definitely not only for the ultra wealthy. Taxes on those houses were lower than I thought too.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:01 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,648,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So_newstead View Post
Yes, was looking at houses in Livingston recently. There are some houses in the 250K-450K range especially near S. Livingston Ave. and Northfield Rd. Livingston is definitely not only for the ultra wealthy. Taxes on those houses were lower than I thought too.

When you say recently, when exactly? As of today there are exactly zero homes listed at $450,000 or less in Livingston.

Only 2 under $500,000.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 6,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
When you say recently, when exactly? As of today there are exactly zero homes listed at $450,000 or less in Livingston.

Only 2 under $500,000.
2019 I believe, right before COVID. Prices have gone up now but if you look at sales on Zillow you’ll see what I was talking about

Old 11-16-2022, 07:37 PM

116 posts, read 235,046 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. If he wants to just move anywhere in town and have his kids go to school where half the class (or more) is Jewish kids? That is Livingston. He could get that in Short Hills too, but if Livingston is a stretch, he definitely can't afford Short Hills.

In West Orange, he would have to pick and choose his neighborhoods wisely for anything close to that. It doesn't have the Jewish population it once did, and much of the Jewish population there is orthodox, and they dont send their kids to public schools. I can think of one neighborhood that might still have enough secular Jews in it for that kind of experience, but I'm not even sure about that.
St Cloud and Pleasantdale section of WO is Jewish with various sects. Golda Och campus is there if the OP wants to send their kids to parochial school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey