Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,066 times

Advertisements

Hello. I planning to purchase a home in New Hampshire and live there when I am not teaching in New Jersey. I plan on living in a school owned apt during the school year. Can I just pay non resident taxes on my teacher salary? Please give me some advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 11:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
I seem to recall that where you actually LIVE is where you are a resident and pay resident taxes....So that would be NJ for you.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,066 times
Default Clarification

I would be living in New Hampshire during the summer, weekends, and vacations. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that point. I would need to live in New Jersey during the school week. Thanks for responding.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:43 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Since you'd be in NJ for more total time than you'd be in NH, you'll likely end u being considered as an NJ resident- especially since you'll be drawing a paycheck from an NJ-based organization.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM

You were clear. The majority of your time is spent in NJ, thus you are a NJ resident, for tax purposes.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Since you'd be in NJ for more total time than you'd be in NH, you'll likely end u being considered as an NJ resident- especially since you'll be drawing a paycheck from an NJ-based organization.
Sorry to be my usual pain, but schools are 180 days a year, so that leaves 185 days to flee the high taxes of NJ. LOL

Old 05-31-2008, 08:53 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,668,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Sorry to be my usual pain, but schools are 180 days a year, so that leaves 185 days to flee the high taxes of NJ. LOL
Can't though...

Unless there is a reciprocal agreement on taxes between the two states, you technically have to pay state income taxes in both states. Some states will allow you to apply a percentage of your income tax.

Its better, in this case it would seem, to be an NJ resident for the majority of the year, and consider the other home a "vacation house".

**EDIT** NJ only has an agreement with PA, iirc.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:32 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,423 times
You will need to pay income tax to New Jersey for all moneys earned here regardless of whether or not you are a New Hampshire resident or a New Jersey resident. (CuCullin is correct in saying that the only exemption to this if for Pennsylvania residents working in New Jersey.)

Obviously, since you mention New Hampshire, (which has no state income tax other than upon interest and dividends) you are trying to avoid being deemed a NJ resident because you don't want to pay any state income tax on your unearned income. That's a good tax planning strategy.

However, since you'll be working and regularly sleeping in NJ, in an apartment (regardless of the fact that it's school-owned), I think you'll find it difficult to avoid being considered a Jersey resident. But ... maybe?

Read the link. Page six of this link to the NJ personal income tax instructions defines the criteria for who is considered a Jersey resident. Hope this is helpful: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...07/071040i.pdf

Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,203 times
seems like a crazy idea. But if it works out for you, hackensack is good

and since your going to be spending your time alot in JERSEY more then NH, then your going to be considered a Jersey resident. And pay them Jersey Taxes. And i know NH has high taxes to but... i dont know what to tell you. Just leave NH or find somewhere in NH to do so

Old 06-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
seems like a crazy idea. But if it works out for you, hackensack is good

and since your going to be spending your time alot in JERSEY more then NH, then your going to be considered a Jersey resident. And pay them Jersey Taxes. And i know NH has high taxes to but... i dont know what to tell you. Just leave NH or find somewhere in NH to do so
NH has NO state income tax, except, as stated above, on interest and dividends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: