Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 10:51 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Agree with this comment. I personally know ~30 people who have left NJ to NC, and it might be second most relocated state from NJ next to FL. All these people say they will never move back.

I get a chance to go to Charlotte a few times a year for, and while I'm not in love with City when I do arrive back to NJ and think to myself, it was a lot nicer down there. NC has a lot more to offer than NJ, a lot of new jobs and companies are moving there, single family home developments are being built (unlike NJ), its clean, its affordable, less red tape from the government.

Last time I was down there, I was visiting some friends who had moved about 20 minutes outside of Charlotte (across the border into SC) and the entire town was under construction. Literally the post-office for the town was like 75% of the way through construction. The downtown had just started construction, planned neighborhoods with single family homes that had parks, recreation and even restaurants insides the development. It was just really something cool to see something in the very early stages of growth and development.

The one thing I really don't like about the Charlotte area is the amount breweries there. They are literally everywhere, and its the thing/place to go to be social and to eat. Breweries get old very quick.

SFH developments can be found in my new neck of the woods in South Jersey. People are up in arms a few towns over because of a planned new development that will have 93 SFHs.

Growth on a large scale like that would scare me because of the growing pains it will create. However, I still admire how southern states can invest so much in infrastructure, yet have lower taxes. Here in NJ, so much red tape, time and money is required to pave one mile of a 75 year old highway….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 11:20 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devap View Post
What are some reasons why I should move back, although not immediately but in 2-3 years from now?
I just want to make sure that this is not homesick me that wants to do this.
I can only share with you the experience I had: I moved to Florida when I was in my 20's for a short time, knowing that it was only temporary, and all the time I lamented that it wasn't NJ. To be honest, a lot of it was homesickness, but a lot of it was also habit and what I had normalized as part of my life when I was here. After returning to NJ, I realized that I didn't take the time to enjoy what Florida had to offer, and somewhat regretted it despite being happy to have returned to my home state.

My message for you is to enjoy your time there, whether you stay for a year or for the rest of your life, every state has new and unique experiences that you probably will not get in other states, so embrace what North Carolina has to offer while you have the opportunity. People from the Northeast sometimes relegate the deep south as being a swamp teeming with undesirable people, racism and gators, but that closed-mindedness really holds people back from seeing the great people, great food, beautiful scenery and great vibe that can be found there. My experience is that there are a lot of wonderful aspects to life in the south that will enrich your life as much as living in the Northeast. I say settle in and enjoy the people and all that the state has to offer.

Old 01-20-2023, 03:55 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
I agree with NJmamadude. I moved away in 2005, but not to the deep south. I will say that the northeast USA is laid out much different than the rest of the country. If you have money, it offers more comfort. But if you want to try something different, and you are natively from the northeast, I can say it could be more challenging, initially, at the beginning. For me the greatest obstacle where I moved to was poverty. However, 18 years later I can say I am very happy and used to where I live now. I will also say utopia is not for this world. There's going to be no perfect place. There can be shortfalls that can be pointed out almost anywhere you choose to live.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:13 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Stereotypical much? IDK where in NC the OP lives, but there are areas in the Charlotte area (Ballantyne, Weddington, Matthews, etc.) and Raleigh (Cary, Apex) that rival, if not surpass, what you would find in NJ. I have a ton of friends/acquaintances in those areas who all say they would never come back here.

Plus, there are so many NJ/NY transplants, I’m sure good pizza has found it’s way down there by now.
Agree with this too. If the shoe was on the other foot, and someone in North Carolina in one of their many forums was advising another poster against moving to New Jersey because there were too many greaseballs, it likely wouldn't play well to anyone who read it here. And it shouldn't.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:56 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
In my opinion the appeal of North Carolina was to have a large, affordable home.

That doesn’t really exist anymore. The discount is much reduced from what it was even 5 years ago. Yes you have lower property taxes, but there are a ton of trade offs just to save $5-8k a year.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:03 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
In my opinion the appeal of North Carolina was to have a large, affordable home.

That doesn’t really exist anymore. The discount is much reduced from what it was even 5 years ago. Yes you have lower property taxes, but there are a ton of trade offs just to save $5-8k a year.
That is definitely true. One of the reasons why we stayed in NJ when we bought our house. At this point, FL is probably a better option than NC because at least there is no state income tax there.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:48 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devap View Post
What are some reasons why I should move back, although not immediately but in 2-3 years from now?
I just want to make sure that this is not homesick me that wants to do this.
Why did you move, where did you move too? Where in NJ are you from? I have two daughters in NC and go down there from Md pretty often.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:30 PM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Why did you move, where did you move too? Where in NJ are you from? I have two daughters in NC and go down there from Md pretty often.
Yup, precisely.

OP, hard to give advice without knowing why you moved in the first place. Have you lived in NJ your whole life? It can be an adjustment to move somewhere new... you certainly need to give it more than a few weeks. I moved from New England to Texas for my first job out of college. Hated it the first year, and planned to plot out a move back after I got 2 years of career experience in my field. But, slowly, I got used to it, began to not hate it, and then began to actually like it. I stayed 10.

Old 01-24-2023, 02:42 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
meh, North Jersey is much different than South Jersey

Old 01-24-2023, 06:43 PM

129 posts, read 170,461 times
You shouldn't be asking others for reasons to make such a large personal decision. It's very common to have remorse after moving to a new place, not knowing if you made the right decision or not. I can tell you one thing though. You have to get in the right mindset. It's everything and can easily make or break this life experience for you. Get out, attend some events, strike up conversations and meet some friends. I think you'll find that by channeling your energy into a fully positive direction and giving it the ol' college try, you might just like it. You might end up staying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey