Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 02:28 PM

22 posts, read 15,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'd argue that all of Union County and Middlesex County all the way up to the Raritan River are part of N. Jersey.

I would agree, central Jersey is Woodbridge, New Brunswick, Princeton area and thereabouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 03:16 PM

10,461 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:
I'd argue that all of Union County and Middlesex County all the way up to the Raritan River are part of N. Jersey.
Absolutely not. I'm guessing you have never been to North Jersey. Different demographics, different people, different landscape, and even different climate zones.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmoniousSyntax View Post
Okay? That's it?
To be more technical, based on the Rt 78 rule (and the feeling the towns have)

These are absolutely North Jersey towns:
* Summit
* New Providence
* Berkeley Heights

These are border towns:
* Elizabeth
* Union
* Hillside
* Springfield
* Mountainside

These are absolutely Central Jersey towns:
* Plainfield
* Linden
* Westfield
* Rahway
* Scotch Plains
* Cranford
* Kenilworth
* Roselle
* Clark
* Roselle Park
* Fanwood
* Garwood
* Winfield

Old 03-20-2024, 05:18 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Absolutely not. I'm guessing you have never been to North Jersey. Different demographics, different people, different landscape, and even different climate zones.

South Jersey is anything south of 195. Woodbridge is nothing like West Orange or Secaucus but that doesn't mean it's not North Jersey. Funny such a small state feels the need to be split in 3 but there it is.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:54 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Raritan River is the border between N. and C. Jersey. That's where the change is the most noticable. If we are really going to be that restrictive based on the above criteria, we could argue that Somerset, Morris, Sussex, and whatever bumble**** counties that are supposedly N. Jersey according to your criteria aren't really N. Jersey.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
The Raritan River is the border between N. and C. Jersey. That's where the change is the most noticable. If we are really going to be that restrictive based on the above criteria, we could argue that Somerset, Morris, Sussex, and whatever bumble**** counties that are supposedly N. Jersey according to your criteria aren't really N. Jersey.
The Raritan River is not the border between North and Central NJ, for one it goes right through the middle of Rutgers, which is dead smack in middle of Central NJ.

Everything below 195 is south Jersey and everything above rt 78 is north jersey. Central, NJ is everything between. I'd say this with about 95% accuracy with some gray areas around the shore towns.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:39 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
It was much easier when you guys just had 201 and 609

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-26-2024, 01:04 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It was much easier when you guys just had 201 and 609

LOL

Quote:

I'm originally from Roselle, worked at the family business in Watchung, also lived in North Plainfield and Edison (by Brunswick) before going down to South Jersey in 93. Started in Burlington County, now in Gloucester County since 2008.

Way back when, Roselle was considered North Jersey, the split used to be when you were going down the shore, you drove over the big bridge on the Parkway.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:20 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
LOL

I'm originally from Roselle, worked at the family business in Watchung, also lived in North Plainfield and Edison (by Brunswick) before going down to South Jersey in 93. Started in Burlington County, now in Gloucester County since 2008.

Way back when, Roselle was considered North Jersey, the split used to be when you were going down the shore, you drove over the big bridge on the Parkway.
That is why some people consider that bridge the dividing line between north and central.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:46 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Take this with a grain of salt since I live out in Suffolk County but I had no idea that Union County is sometimes considered part of Central Jersey. I always thought it of as part of Northern New Jersey. It is pretty far north.

If any county would be split between northern and central, I would have thought it would be Middlesex since part of that county is north of the Raritan River and part of it is south of the river. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle...ty,_New_Jersey

But according to Wikipedia, Union is considered part of Central Jersey.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Jersey

But Union is also considered part of North Jersey.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Jersey

Finally, Union is also considered part of South Jersey..... nah just kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey