Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times

Advertisements

When I sold my old wreck in Hillsdale it was sold to a ypung couple 25 years old amd they took out a 400.000 mortgage. I had a feeling they were cracking a bit nut, but not so soon. Only after 11 months they have put it on the market. Now I wonder if its the money. I maybe go to the open house and see the old wreck. In my little adk cabin we only lasted what 5 months but its a vacation cabin as it orginally started for us. I cant imagine trying to sell a house especially in the adk's in this market. Ohh well the old wreck will be interesting to see how it sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
When I sold my old wreck in Hillsdale it was sold to a ypung couple 25 years old amd they took out a 400.000 mortgage. I had a feeling they were cracking a bit nut, but not so soon. Only after 11 months they have put it on the market. Now I wonder if its the money. I maybe go to the open house and see the old wreck. In my little adk cabin we only lasted what 5 months but its a vacation cabin as it orginally started for us. I cant imagine trying to sell a house especially in the adk's in this market. Ohh well the old wreck will be interesting to see how it sells.
my old house is in foreclosure, the people we sold it to sold it to another couple who couldn't hack the payments. it's on the market now for the amount they have outstanding in loans, which is about $70K more than they paid 3 yrs ago.

I'd hate to see this house go into disarray, but since the owners moved out (were forced out?), i can't see that it won't.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:54 AM

its strange seeing on the market and not your own listing right? I think they got over their heads because they are losing money on this sale too and thats if it even sells. They were so careless in the home inspection, they did basically not care about any of it. It was good for me but bad for them, they will never have another couple like them who said dont worry about it. I mean everything was kinda bad, foundation , center beam, house sagged, old lead pipes, 25 year old boiler, bad old electircal and plumbing, I mean the list goes on and on!! This ought to be interesting!! I wonder if its the money! NOt to the amount of 70 g's yet, boy you lucked out huh T!!

Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
They prob. underestimated the money it would take to fix it up and overestimated their handiness in getting it up to par, how they wanted it to be.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I think that would break my heart if that happened to my old house!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think that would break my heart if that happened to my old house!
why would it break your heart? I feel bad for this young couple but I still feel better for me. If they did not come along I would still be in that wreck. There going to learn a new lesson thats never say dont worry about it!! I remember the center beam to the house was a huge hump meaning both sides of the house settled so much and they said dont worry about it. I knew then I got lucky can you imaging having to change the center beam!! The beams were cracked in the basement, foundation cracked, sill on one corner eaten away, it was a wreck!!! They said DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. Do you think the next people will say that???!!!! Something to be said for stupidity. I know this sounds cold hearted but I told them it was a wreck, it was the biggest wreck for the money in a good town at that time. Now things have changed it wont be so easy. It doesn't break my heart it makes me thrilled IM not selling the OLD WRECK!!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 PM

148 posts, read 639,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
why would it break your heart? I feel bad for this young couple but I still feel better for me. If they did not come along I would still be in that wreck. There going to learn a new lesson thats never say dont worry about it!! I remember the center beam to the house was a huge hump meaning both sides of the house settled so much and they said dont worry about it. I knew then I got lucky can you imaging having to change the center beam!! The beams were cracked in the basement, foundation cracked, sill on one corner eaten away, it was a wreck!!! They said DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. Do you think the next people will say that???!!!! Something to be said for stupidity. I know this sounds cold hearted but I told them it was a wreck, it was the biggest wreck for the money in a good town at that time. Now things have changed it wont be so easy. It doesn't break my heart it makes me thrilled IM not selling the OLD WRECK!!!!
hmm sounds really cold -hearted but at the same time there are many buyers out there and in the immediate future who are basically benefiting from the carelessness or as you say stupidity of others (mainly those buying foreclosures from those who overestimated what they could afford), while its sad that many people put themselves in bad situation it works out for new potential home buyers such as myself

Old 07-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
hmm sounds really cold -hearted but at the same time there are many buyers out there and in the immediate future who are basically benefiting from the carelessness or as you say stupidity of others (mainly those buying foreclosures from those who overestimated what they could afford), while its sad that many people put themselves in bad situation it works out for new potential home buyers such as myself
I know its sounds cold hearted but I am being honest, so I guess I am cold hearted here. But in my defense, I did point out all the problems , they just chose to ignore and like I said it was the best house in Hillsdale at that time for the money. They may just sell it, Hillsdale has a train station and you could walk to it from my old house, plus its a mother daughter so someone with an aging parent would be suited to buy it. However the inspection is going to be rough!! I wish I was notso cold hearted, God will fix me! I better pray tonight.

It may work out for you but you would never take a complete wreck with all the guts of the house bad would you? Its one thing to have an outdated kitchen its another to have the guts of the house bad! Throw in wiring, plumbing, roof and boiler you would say see ya!! Good luck, I will work on my bad qualities I have come far in some ways but have some work to do. Good luck hope you find a great home!!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 07-13-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 02:18 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
a lot of people got sold on the american dream only to find out that what they were seeing was just an illusion masked in greed. After the veil has been taken off all that is left behind are broken hearts and empty bank accounts, altough you're right that they might've been either stupid or ignorant to purchase such a mess of a home, I wonder what the details of what went on behind the scenes was like, who else benefited from the stupidity of such buyers? There are a lot of good people out there who are hurting because they were like heroin addicts in search for a fix, willing to do anything to get the american dream only to realize after the high was over that the reality of things was a nightmare.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:25 PM

alex it was liveable but thats about it, behind the scenes the buyer's real estate agent was HER COUSIN!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey