Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 10,199 times

Advertisements

I live in West Orange and may be taking a job in lower Manhattan. I'm figuring the best way for me to commute would be to take the PATH from Harrison to World Trade. Can anyone tell me about the experience of this commute?

I'll be taking the train at about 8-ish in the morning. Is there still good parking available at that hour? How expensive would it be for me to park? Is the neighborhood safe (should I be worried about walking from the station to my car after dark)? How crowded is the train at that hour? How long is the trip?

Thanks,
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
I used to do the Harrison to WTC commute (after the valet smashed up my car at NewarK), and it's not too terribly bad. Parking will run 80 or so for the lots and 100 or so for the covered garages. There are also metered spots on the streets. I believe they are 5 dollars for 8-10 hours or something like that.

The PATH trains running out of Newark are packed though, and the Harrison passengers usually have to cram in until Journal Square where much of the train empties out for the 33rd Street transfer. You'll save about 100-150/month due to cheaper parking, so the 15 minutes or so of being crammed into the train car is worth the savings. Also, it's easier to get out of Harrison than Newark due to much less traffic.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 AM

323 posts, read 2,089,787 times
Yep, I second the Harrison to WTC ride..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 AM

Are the monthly parking permits designated to the car or the driver? My wife and I may switch cars depending on her needs so I need to know if I can park either car with just one monthly pass.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 AM

792 posts, read 3,138,049 times
Why not NJT train from Highland Avenue to HOB then PATH to NYC?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Why not NJT train from Highland Avenue to HOB then PATH to NYC?
It adds a step to my commute. I'd have to drive to Highland, get on the train the transfer. Here I just drive and get on the train.

Are there any advantages to doing it the way you suggest?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golddave View Post
It adds a step to my commute. I'd have to drive to Highland, get on the train the transfer. Here I just drive and get on the train.

It all depends on how long it would take for you to drive from your house to Harrison station. During rush hours the drive could be really stressful, especially if there are any accidents or road construction.

Also, I agree with one of the reviews that trains are really packed from Harrison to Journal Sq., but the ride from Harrison to J.Sq is only 8 mins.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:04 AM

792 posts, read 3,138,049 times
Quote:
It adds a step to my commute. I'd have to drive to Highland, get on the train the transfer. Here I just drive and get on the train
Your kiddin'? What's the big deal with that?

Quote:
If I were you I'd go Highland Ave to HOB and then the NY Waterway Ferry (forget the PATH).

Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 PM

59 posts, read 241,525 times
Ditch the PATH altogether. Train it to Hoboken and jump on the ferry. The ferry costs almost 3 times as much as the PATH, but you get to keep your sanity. Once you do the ferry, you CAN'T go back to the PATH. I tried weaning myself off the ferry earlier this year when ferry fares went up, but I only lasted 2 days. Ferry is quick, and thei time of year it's beautiful and relaxing.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM

98 posts, read 291,587 times
Default What about later in the morning?

We have the same question, but later in the morning. What if someone was catching the path out of Harrison to WTC at around 9:00 or 9:30? Are the trains still crowded then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey