Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,163 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have been searching on this site for a while trying to decide where me and my husband want to move to, and so I thought I would finally post

I am originally from Somerset, NJ (Franklin Township) and have been moving around for the last 8 years for school/work, etc, and have always missed home! I would love to move back to the area (or even closer to NYC), but the problem is we want to get by without a car if at all possible.

Can anyone recommend a city to move to that has good public transportation, is safe, and has "reasonable" rent? I have been living in Japan the past 2 years so I am unfortunately really used to great train service And "reasonable" rent can vary...I know the rent in Somerset is astronomical now, about $1,500 a month, so I would love to get anything under $1,000 a month if possible. Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
The big question is, where are you trying to "transport" yourself to? Are you looking to use public transit for daily shopping, doctor visits, etc., or just looking to commute to work? If the latter, where will you be working?

Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The big question is, where are you trying to "transport" yourself to? Are you looking to use public transit for daily shopping, doctor visits, etc., or just looking to commute to work? If the latter, where will you be working?
Sorry! lol, I forgot to put that

Well, I would love basic transportation for during the weekdays (around the town for shopping, etc), and then be able to take either a train or ferry over to Manhattan during the weekends. The latter is not necessary, but a plus if at all possible.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:06 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Well, there's no subway systems anywhere in NJ, so you're limited to either the Light Rail that runs through Jersey City and the surrounding areas, the light rail that just got started in Newark, or buses (the latter not being highly recommended, IMO). On a $1,000/month budget, JC and the other towns on the light rail up there won't offer much, and the selection in Newark will be limited or in some crappy areas. You'll also be limited when you want to leave the immediate corridor served by the light rail, and may end up having to rent a car often. IMO, NJ really isn't a place to live if you're not going to have a car, unless you live a very simple existence that doesn't require much movement outside of your immediate neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:51 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
Local transport in Jersey is HORRIBLE. It's mostly about getting you to and from NYC, but local, dreadful.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:09 PM

42 posts, read 137,233 times
Try looking into Weehawken or Edgewater. Cheaper than Hoboken. Weehawken has ferries to NYC and the lightrail as well.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
Where will you be working?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, there's no subway systems anywhere in NJ,
No subway except for the PATH system that runs between Newark, JC, Hoboken and Manhattan. No lightrail except for the three lines that branch out from Hoboken and the two lines that run out of Newark (soon to be expanded) and no regional rail except for the 12 or 13 lines that run out of Newark/Hoboken/NYC and no buses except for the 60 or so routes that criss-cross North Jersey.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
bayonne has a very good public transport system. 3 bus lines that can get you anywhere inter and intra city and a light rail system. you can easily live in bayonne and not have a vehicle.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 PM

127 posts, read 544,233 times
Try Union Township (Union County). There is a bus service on Morris Ave. If you find a place to live nearby, you will be able to take a bus to work and do some shopping. Life is difficult without a car in NJ, but it is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey