Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 12:40 PM

130 posts, read 497,189 times

Advertisements

What are the extra costs that we need to look for when dealing with a mortgage broker. I'm getting a good rate through broker on 30 year conventional loan. PMI with broker seems to be 30 bucks more than the direct lender. What else?

Last edited by skapur; 08-19-2008 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapur View Post
What are the extra costs that we need to look for when dealing with a mortgage broker. I'm getting a good rate through broker on 30 year conventional loan. PMI with broker seems to be 30 bucks more than the direct lender. What else?
Ask him/her for a "good faith" estimate. It will show you all costs associated with the loan and closing.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,099,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Ask him/her for a "good faith" estimate. It will show you all costs associated with the loan and closing.
Agreed. This way you will be able to tell what it will cost you approximately. I tend to recommend mortgage brokers versus going direct because clients always have questions and when going direct, you will almost always never get all your questions answered. Also for first time home buyers that have a million questions, this is a better route for them to go with. The mortgage broker (goods ones at least) can explain the whole process of what will happen and what everything means.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:48 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapur View Post

There should be no extra cost using a broker. They get paid by the lender.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 PM

144 posts, read 449,529 times
Check for discount points & origination fees plus any fees on the GFE that you don't understand. Try to have them waive the application fee also since it's usually not refindable if you decide to go to another broker/lender.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,099,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
There should be no extra cost using a broker. They get paid by the lender.
Exactly. Just be careful which brokerage you use. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go with big companies like Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank of America, etc. DO NOT go with these stupid "shady" mortgage brokers as they tend to tack on unnecessary points. I have been in the business for five years and the amount of "guido" type mortgage brokers that I have been approached by is ludicrous. I even have had to deal with them on several occassions and almost always they are going after the first time home buyer and almost always tack on additional points for NO REASON!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:58 PM

130 posts, read 497,189 times
Are the costs mentioned in the GFE guaranteed? or can the lenders/brokers change it before closing? What are the additional POINTS that we are talking about here in case of brokers?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:37 PM

144 posts, read 449,529 times
You should only pay points to lower your rate and also staying at the property for at least 5 years to benefit from it. The benefit of using a broker is that they deal with numerous lenders including the ones that DodgeViper mentioned and can find a lower rate for you.

With a reputable broker, your GFE should be close to your closing cost with the exception of tax & insurance escrows that may vary slightly. I would say within a few hundred dollars in most cases.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 PM

88 posts, read 424,288 times
Don't forget to ask if there is a fee to "lock in" your rate; some charge for this also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: