Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,472 times

Advertisements

hi, im only young, but for a long time, i have wanted to move to America.

However, i was never sure what part of America, i researched different places, and asked multiply people/ friends, and i have decided that i would like to end up in NJ or new york.

i am 15 going on 16, and would like to move when i aged, but to an extent (earl 20's or slightly younger). I am, to promote myself, rather intelligent, i am in the top of my classes, and predicted to get A's and A*'s (plus 1 or 2 B's) in my GCSE's. I have taken my maths GCSE a year early. I study art, graphics, maths, science, separate science (biology, physics, and chemistry), history, english, IT and PE (*also RE, but that is one of my lower academic level subjects). I would like to work in graphical editing/ designing/ etc... and i can start out in any sized house/ apartment/ flat/ whatever.

i understand i need to get a visa/ green card, however im not too sure how easy it is to get one of these, and how easily accepted i would be.

anyway, thank you, i have a few friends who live in New Jersey, however they are not 'best' friends.

thanks, any more info needed? just ask...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,859 times
I lived in London for 8 years and met and married my English husband there. We just moved to NJ. To get a green card, you either marry an American or have your employer sponsor you and apply on your behalf for your resident visa (green card). I have worked abroad in 3 different countries, and each of those employers has obtained a working visa for me. You can find out more from the US embassy site, it's a bit more involved than I'm making out--for instance you have to prove you are able to support yourself by submitting financial information (bank statements, property owned, etc.)

Immigrant Visas U.S. Embassy London

Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,942,005 times
Since you are so young your best bet would be to try to do uni in the US. Speak to your teachers about study abroad programs or how to get a student visa.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 PM

11,363 posts, read 16,735,475 times
You also might want to contact your local Rotary Club for a long term exchange program, (which is one year where you will attend a NJ high school and live with host families).

Old 08-20-2008, 02:24 AM

UKOK does that entail that i take on my levels (gcse grades) onto the university in US? and would i also attend college/ 6th form in england before moving?

thanks, and is it possible to work out a 'fair' budget, give or take a bit, that i would be expected to save up before the move...

Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,859 times
This site Study in the USA - International Student USA Study Guide has a lot of information regarding how to obtain a student visa, which standardized tests are necessary for U.S. college admission (SAT, ACT--I know for sure that the SAT can be taken at the American School in London) and message boards to ask specific questions to other international students. You could also do an internet search for colleges in New Jersey (there are many) and ask for brochures and applications to be sent to you (though probably everything you need is online).

Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 PM

thankyou very much tiggywink, i will definitely give that site a good look at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey