Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:32 PM

38 posts, read 153,410 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what type of town Chester is. I live in
Metuchen now and my husband and I would like to move there. We have two children under the age of four. What do people do for fun? Are ther any community events? Anything close by for families, and adults to do. Restaurants? Nightlife? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
I love Chester. You can google it and find lots of info, here's one (see below), it's a little obsolete but it gives you an idea, you can scroll down and call them or email them for more info
Historic Chester Village- 2000 Events (broken link)
- there's a wonderful main street with lots of antique and special interest shops, they have craft shows in the fall and it's just a nice country area. Lots of restaurants too but it's been ages since we've gone to any there so I can't vouch for them, it's just a real nice town.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM

thank you honeycrisp - i'm going to check it out!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
I think you'll love it, their main street is long w/ a ton of interesting shops, all different kinds, it's been a while since I've been there and just thinking about it makes me want to take a drive out there. There's some stables too in the area that your kids may be interested in when they get a bit older, if you end up moving there, it just seems like a nice family town. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Chester's very nice. Wealthy area, but you must already know that. They have a peach festival every year (early august) and a huge arts and crafts fair yearly. Very nice town pool, Main Street (as already mentioned) is really cute. They have some good restaurants as well. Shopping is good, supermarket nearby, starbucks, and a new "lifestyle" center on 206. The library recently went through a huge renovation - it's beautiful.

There's also a 4H fair every year and an Octoberfest at Chubb Park. There are a few farms also which have a corn maze around Halloween.

It's a really quaint place!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
I love Chester. It's one of my favorite towns in NJ. We take the kids there pumpkin picking and apple picking. Main St. is great!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks to you all for the input - we've been looking at homes there and think it will be a good fit for us!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by della terra View Post
Thanks to you all for the input - we've been looking at homes there and think it will be a good fit for us!
Don't forget to go check out the telephone pole farm.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 AM

47 posts, read 226,289 times
Chester is a great upscale town to live in!
It is like something you see in the movies .. It has many historical buildings and antique shops, craft stores, boutiques, restaurants, etc. They have something going on almost every weekend in the warm weather such as craft festivals, harvest fest, apple-fest, parades, etc. Chubb park always has something great going on too including their 4-H fair which is great for families! There is plenty of shopping and a new outdoor mall was just built last year... with many fine shops. You are very close to major highways.
Taxes a rather high - but then again, where aren't taxes high in NJ, especially Morris county!
The "Public House" was restored and reopened about a year ago. This restaurant (and Inn) has long been a center-piece for Chester. It was actually closed down for a few years and sat empty sadly. Rumor has it the new owners spent about 1 million restoring it and remodeling, and it shows! They did manage to keep the original "Public House" charm, they even restored the original mahogany bar from way back when.
The food is fabulous and I highly recommend going there.
Good luck with you move, it is really a beautiful area of NJ and has plenty to offer.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM

115 posts, read 446,857 times
Main St. is a great place to walk on a nice day. Alstede Farm has a petting zoo, down the street is the Hacklebarney Cider Mill for some Cider donuts. Hacklebarney State Park is also a great place for a picnic. You'll love Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey