Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That not be allowed to pump your own gas thing in NJ just floors me! Couldn't believe it the first time I was thru there and found this out. Just a great example of another way I think unions make sure people get ripped off.
This is an old post, but it caught my attention. Every time this argument comes up, I always take the stance that the gas-pumping laws, at the least, keep thousands of workers employed. With the number of gas stations that NJ has, it amounts to alot of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 04:27 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
This is an old post, but it caught my attention. Every time this argument comes up, I always take the stance that the gas-pumping laws, at the least, keep thousands of workers employed. With the number of gas stations that NJ has, it amounts to alot of jobs.
I thought I heard recently that that is finally going to go away in NJ.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post

I passed by a BP station today (I think) in East Brunswick, NJ with regular priced at 3.45 gallon. It always amazed me how much of New Jersey has gas cheaper than a lot of the nation. They employ people to pump the gas for you, yet it's cheaper. Boggles my mind.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I thought I heard recently that that is finally going to go away in NJ.
I haven't heard anyhing about it. The oil companies want it bad. The law is never removed because when PA & DE repealed the no pumping law the price difference was not an offset for the job losses. Pretty simple, really.....

Old 08-19-2008, 05:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I passed by a BP station today (I think) in East Brunswick, NJ with regular priced at 3.45 gallon. It always amazed me how much of New Jersey has gas cheaper than a lot of the nation. They employ people to pump the gas for you, yet it's cheaper. Boggles my mind.
I would think transportation costs would have something to do with this, with the refineries so close to the NJTP. We were their two weeks ago and my girls had never seen such a sight (impressive at night with the open flames, etc).

Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I would think transportation costs would have something to do with this, with the refineries so close to the NJTP. We were their two weeks ago and my girls had never seen such a sight (impressive at night with the open flames, etc).

Someone else had told me that was the case.

You must've been around Elizabeth and Linden on the Turnpike. On the southbound side there's this magnificent looking lit up steel structure (at least only at night because it's lit) and the open flame refineries. At night it is a bit of a head turner.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
It's a combination of factors including proximity to refineries, a low gas tax, & the pumping is normally done by someone who also does something else, unless it's a high-volume station, like on the turnpike.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's a combination of factors including proximity to refineries, a low gas tax, & the pumping is normally done by someone who also does something else, unless it's a high-volume station, like on the turnpike.

In looking it up it's due to low fuel taxes. As far as the Turnpike and Parkway goes, they're regulated differently: they can only change their prices on Fridays and not be any more than 3 cents higher than the average charged by 100 stations surveyed weekly. I knew that part but I didn't know about the low fuel taxes being the reason for the lower prices.

Well that settles that.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That not be allowed to pump your own gas thing in NJ just floors me! Couldn't believe it the first time I was thru there and found this out. Just a great example of another way I think unions make sure people get ripped off.
The real question is why is this clown connecting unions and no self serve gas? There's no gas attendants union

Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The real question is why is this clown connecting unions and no self serve gas? There's no gas attendants union

the real question is............where did this post come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey