Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times

Advertisements

Charms use to be in Bloomfield as my Dad worked for them years ago. Then they moved to Freehold in around 1975. Anybody know where they were located in Freehold as my Son now lives in Freehold Township. Is Charms Candy still in business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 10,850 times
the company was bought by tootie a while ago. i am trying to find some info on a doll that was made by them. it was made out of candy, and is very old any help thanks tim

Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,533 times
Charms moved from Bloomfield NJ to Freehold NJ to Tennessee. My dad worked for Charms for 33 years until they moved to Freehold NJ. He has stories he can tell you! Dad told me the Charms building was once an ammunition factory. He described how thick the walls weres though out the building. I once took a third grade school trip there in 1969.

History:
International Fuse Company, Grove Street near Bloomfield Avenue, 1918. Many women joined the industrial workforce during World War I (and many more in WW II). Workers assemble time fuses for weapons. The International Fuese building later housed the Charms Candy factory.

WWII US Army Air Force Emergency Parachute Rations which were made by the Charms Co. of Bloomfield NJ. I About 10 yrs ago a friend of my dads had one of these ration cans which was his fathers and was never open until 60+yrs later. He brought it over and showed us what was in it and sure enough a package of Charms Assorted Squares.
[URL]http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml[/URL]

Charms Candy Company, Grove Street near Bloomfield Avenue. Later relocated to Freehold, NJ in 1973

Last edited by CandyDAD; 05-20-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 07:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDAD View Post
Charms moved from Bloomfield NJ to Freehold NJ to Tennessee. My dad worked for Charms for 33 years until they moved to Freehold NJ. He has stories he can tell you! Dad told me the Charms building was once an ammunition factory. He described how thick the walls weres though out the building. I once took a third grade school trip there in 1969.

History:
International Fuse Company, Grove Street near Bloomfield Avenue, 1918. Many women joined the industrial workforce during World War I (and many more in WW II). Workers assemble time fuses for weapons. The International Fuese building later housed the Charms Candy factory.

WWII US Army Air Force Emergency Parachute Rations which were made by the Charms Co. of Bloomfield NJ. I About 10 yrs ago a friend of my dads had one of these ration cans which was his fathers and was never open until 60+yrs later. He brought it over and showed us what was in it and sure enough a package of Charms Assorted Squares.
P-38 Can Opener The Armys Greatest Invention

Charms Candy Company, Grove Street near Bloomfield Avenue. Later relocated to Freehold, NJ in 1973
Thanks for the history lesson. My grandmother worked in the Grove Street factory. She always had special lollipops for us shaped like Santa or other holiday things. They were red with white decorations. She also had packs of hard fruit-flavored square candies. My sister almost choked to death on one when she was 4 and afterwards she stopped giving them to us. I haven't seen them in years. Not sure if they still make them.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,426 times
Would anyone know of a Rebecca Boone who worked for Charms in the early 1970'?She had a close friend who also worked there. He went by the name of Ralph or Raphael, possibly a Cuban immigrant. They lived in Newark, NJ.

Please ask your parents who worked there. This would mean sooooo much to me!
Thank you.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:10 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Charms use to be in Bloomfield ... they moved to Freehold in around 1975. Anybody know where they were located in Freehold
County Clerk Election Division
http://co.monmouth.nj.us/AgencyImage...vicesBldg2.jpg

Old 04-17-2014, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,029 times
I worked for charms co right out of high school in the business office in Asbury park new jersey from 1960-63. Mr w Reid lll was my boss and took an interest in my
advancement to the
accounting dept. I left when
my first son was born. Charms was ahead of the times with their employment standards and benefits. I have been forever proud to have worked for charms.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Charms use to be in Bloomfield as my Dad worked for them years ago. Then they moved to Freehold in around 1975. Anybody know where they were located in Freehold as my Son now lives in Freehold Township. Is Charms Candy still in business?

I am not sure If you will see this. I lived in Freehold for 40 years. LOVED Charms. They were at many community events. They always gave away lollypops. The LARGE ones. They do not make those anymore. Charms is certainly around and making candy. The location of Charms factory was on Willowbrook Road. If you google it, it is across from Paragon Way.

Great memories.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:52 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Now I want a Blow Pop

Old 08-23-2018, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,230 times
Default Circa 1920 Charms Co. Doll

I have an original Charm Doll in the box - manufactured by the Charms Co. (of Newark, NJ) - which dates to 1919/1920. The doll is actually a cookie and I have one. If you email me at elmoenid@yahoo.com, I would be more than glad to share photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey