Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
There was a career fair in the City this morning. The heading was FINANCE, MARKETING, ADVERTISING, AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!!!

Being the unemployed loser that I am, I decided to actually head into Manhattan to see what this was all about. What a mistake.

This fair was on 32nd and Broadway, and the line? Stretched around a whole city block....33rd and 5th. I waited for almost three hours to see what and who was inside so I waited, and waited, and waited.

I struck up a conversation with the guy behind me. JP Morgan Chase. Executive VP of financial programming...out of work 7 months. He was making 205K and has reduced himself to taking a job paying 70K at this point.

As we were being herded into this little room (no lie, it was 50 x 50 at the biggest) all we saw were jobs for outside sales reps, a receptionist position for the New York Sports Club, and some other crap peddling life insurance.

Now I know why the employers are never mentioned in the advertisements. Nobody would go if they found out that this is what was attending a job fair.

If you're looking for a job, by all means, save yourself the hassle and do not attend a job fair.

What a waste of scuffing up my Allen Edmonds and wrinkling a good suit.
Hi, sorry difficult for you, and everyone, have your tried this site, "Ladders.com" My brother in law is in same situation, a Master's with Engineering degree, now offering him a 70% travel and a three month on site ( away from home) position.
Sister has three children to raise, and has a career herself, not to mention children's outside activities.
I suggest, going to every Personnel agency in your area, and calling every one of them on a daily basis.
Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Believe me when I tell you........online job searching only works for high tech. If you aren't in a technical field, applying for jobs online is basically just throwing your resume in the circular file......
Not true. You just need to learn how to master the process which includes understanding how key word searches work. I have worked for several Fortune 500 companies that are recognized as "employers of choice" and the only way you will get in for an interview is if you submit and online application and resume. Even if an employee refers you from one of these companies, you would need to go through this step. Anyone that hasn't created an electronic resume (by the way, this isn't a word document that you attach, most companies don't accept attachments), you are seriously at a disadvantage. Your chances are better applying online directly with the company you're interested in versus Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.

Also, as everyone said, going to a career fair is the least effective way to find a job unless you're a recent college grad and it's a college-oriented career fair. Now a networking fair/event is a bit better. Top ways to find a job is #1 Working your contacts so they can refer you (by far the best), #2 Apply online to Company's website, #3 Headhunters/Search firms, #4 Temp to Perm assignments which tend to become more popular during tougher economic times.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Not true. You just need to learn how to master the process which includes understanding how key word searches work. I have worked for several Fortune 500 companies that are recognized as "employers of choice" and the only way you will get in for an interview is if you submit and online application and resume. Even if an employee refers you from one of these companies, you would need to go through this step. Anyone that hasn't created an electronic resume (by the way, this isn't a word document that you attach, most companies don't accept attachments), you are seriously at a disadvantage. Your chances are better applying online directly with the company you're interested in versus Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.

Also, as everyone said, going to a career fair is the least effective way to find a job unless you're a recent college grad and it's a college-oriented career fair. Now a networking fair/event is a bit better. Top ways to find a job is #1 Working your contacts so they can refer you (by far the best), #2 Apply online to Company's website, #3 Headhunters/Search firms, #4 Temp to Perm assignments which tend to become more popular during tougher economic times.
the electronic resume. My e-resume looks like a disaster. I need to make it look as nice as my Word version.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
wow, didnt know people still go to job fairs! i work in technology and have always got jobs/interviews online thru hotjobs/dice. when i was looking to change jobs earlier this year, i got over 100 calls out of which at least 30-40 were a good fit.

not sure if it would work for non-tech jobs, but for technology jobs online job hunting seems the most efficient (besides personal contacts of course).
Can I use YOUR resume as mine? lol

Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,275 times
Quote:
the electronic resume. My e-resume looks like a disaster. I need to make it look as nice as my Word version.
Here's a link to creating an ASCII style e-resume so that you have a consistent looking format when you apply to various jobs online through the cut & pasted method.

http://www.careerperfect.com/content...-48e432df737f2

Old 10-01-2008, 08:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Here's a link to creating an ASCII style e-resume so that you have a consistent looking format when you apply to various jobs online through the cut & pasted method.

http://www.careerperfect.com/content...-48e432df737f2

Thanks. This was a good reference!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,939 times
I just read about an Employment Fair in El Paso, TX. The headlining employers were 2 call centers and Cargill (beef peddlers) looking for 200 people to work in the slaughterhouses in Nebraska. I'm guessing they are losing the Spanish speaking slaves they hire under the table, so are forced to move up a notch and canvas lower-income metros of the US where people are desperate for work. According to the article I read, some employers were receiving upwards of 70 applications for low-paying, unskilled positions. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
try the temp agencies, if job fairs are not working

Robert Half is really good, and the women who work there are extremely good looking, and smart

they have to be that is how they get you a job

Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,703 times
Quote:
There was a career fair in the City this morning. The heading was FINANCE, MARKETING, ADVERTISING, AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!!!

Being the unemployed loser that I am, I decided to actually head into Manhattan to see what this was all about. What a mistake.

This fair was on 32nd and Broadway, and the line? Stretched around a whole city block....33rd and 5th. I waited for almost three hours to see what and who was inside so I waited, and waited, and waited.

I struck up a conversation with the guy behind me. JP Morgan Chase. Executive VP of financial programming...out of work 7 months. He was making 205K and has reduced himself to taking a job paying 70K at this point.

As we were being herded into this little room (no lie, it was 50 x 50 at the biggest) all we saw were jobs for outside sales reps, a receptionist position for the New York Sports Club, and some other crap peddling life insurance.

Now I know why the employers are never mentioned in the advertisements. Nobody would go if they found out that this is what was attending a job fair.

If you're looking for a job, by all means, save yourself the hassle and do not attend a job fair.

What a waste of scuffing up my Allen Edmonds and wrinkling a good suit.
Ahh...poor guy had to take only $70K...let me get out my violin...I have never made more than $70, btw, even though I have 2 degrees and am resonsible for life and death decisions and can be sued at any time and lose the little bit I have managed to scrape together and accumulate on my paltry income. With 13 + years of experience, I would belucky to make....let's see, high 80's if I work full time staying up all night, this also includes holidays/weekends and some minimal overtime. Hell, I can't even hit $100K, let alone over $200, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have made that kind of money ever!!

But I have to agree, the job fairs are usually the worst jobs that employers can't fill that suck and pay nothing. If they were good jobs, they would be taken!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:54 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,842 times
My friend (who I grew up with) is a nurse with less experience & education then you and she makes over 70K with a nice income expectation going forward. And she works not even quite 40 hours/week. Based upon your screen name I am presuming you are a nurse as well.

70k in NJ is not that much to get by especially with a family; I can't even imagine making that to go to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Ahh...poor guy had to take only $70K...let me get out my violin...I have never made more than $70, btw, even though I have 2 degrees and am resonsible for life and death decisions and can be sued at any time and lose the little bit I have managed to scrape together and accumulate on my paltry income. With 13 + years of experience, I would belucky to make....let's see, high 80's if I work full time staying up all night, this also includes holidays/weekends and some minimal overtime. Hell, I can't even hit $100K, let alone over $200, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have made that kind of money ever!!

But I have to agree, the job fairs are usually the worst jobs that employers can't fill that suck and pay nothing. If they were good jobs, they would be taken!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey