Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times

Advertisements

Gangs are on the rise in NJ and have been for a long time now. Ever go into Hudson County? Some of the S. American gangs that are here now are scary.

I saw there were arrests in RIVER EDGE this week. Who would think RIVER EDGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:29 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
...what does HIV have anything to do with this? Thread fails.
I didn't realize the threads were graded... is there a pass/fail option?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
There should be. This one would probably not make the grade.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Translation for those who need it: I was equating gang members sprouting up in an increasing number of towns in NJ, to the way the HIV virus pops up in an increasing number of people in a population as time goes on and more casual unprotection action is had. If you can use a computer you should get this without my explanation.
Why would anyone waste their time with your ignorant babble? You are equating your posts with intelligent discourse?
Think about taking up a new hobby and I'll think about learning to use a computer so I can understand your nifty word play.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Is New Jersey was live Vermont, I would want to stay here. Vermont is the safest state and has the least crime because can carry a gun concealed, don't need permits, etc. Basically, criminales are not going to a place where if they rape someone or put a gun to someone, every other person is gonna whip a gun out at them.

I feel New Jersey is really going down, and fast at that. I am trying and working on getting out of here as soon as possible. It's sad what it has become, makes me even a little sad. =(
So, what you're saying is that there are a lot of bad people in Vermont who just don't try anything because other people might be carrying a gun?

Unlike Texas or South Carolina or Florida where everyone and their grandmother carries a gun and they still have out of control crime.

I'm all for gun-ownership by non-felons. But having a gun tucked in your waistband isn't going to stop some thug from getting the drop on you or from shooting quicker if you so much as twitch.

The reality is that NJ is a lot safer now than it was back in the 80s. A lot of people thought they could run from crime, and it was fun while it lasted but you can only ignore problems for so long before they come to find you.

There's a big demographic shift happening. I think enough people recognize it now so it's not really that controversial to say but i'm sure some people will get really huffy for suggesting that things in the future will be different than they are today. Who would suggest such a thing?

Anway, Wealth is beginning to concentrate in and near urban centers and around the transportation corridors to and from. This is basically how it works in the rest of the world and how it worked in the US up until 50 years ago. I'd say this trend is about 15 years old now. Maybe even older in the NYC metro. If you consider that it took about 40 years for the cities to empty out and hit rock bottom, my guess is that it will take about the same amount of time for the same thing to happen to the suburbs. To anyone who pays attention to this sort of thing it's clear that it's already happening.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,828 times
It just seems from what I see on the news and hear from people in NJ that they are in every corner. Outside of the usual suspect cities such as Trenton, Newark, Camden, Paterson, Plainfield, Atlantic City, New Brunswick, etc, New Jersey for the most part is sleepy suburban towns. But these gangs are in everywhere in the state. It seems as if this is not being controlled, until after the crime, but then it is too late. Are citizens lobbying politicians and police forces to crack down and for judges to make the penalties harsher to set an example? Or is this issue getting swept under the rug due to economy?

The fact that someone in a barber shop is killed then the witnesses and witnesses extended circle have their lives threatened shows these people will not stop.

Yeah Im not surprised they are in Hudson County. Its more the sleepy towns such as River Edge and Bloomingdale that shock me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Gangs are on the rise in NJ and have been for a long time now. Ever go into Hudson County? Some of the S. American gangs that are here now are scary.

I saw there were arrests in RIVER EDGE this week. Who would think RIVER EDGE.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Like it or not, HIV is one of the few diseases you have a HIGH amount of control over contracting. Unless you got it from a transplant, transfusion, or were born with it from your mother, 95% of HIV infections can be stopped with common sense.

A better analogy would have been using "cancer", but apparently the OP likes shock-posting.
I don't "grade" the value of a post on whether enough thought or sensitivity was put into an analogy. Doing otherwise hijacks the thread.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:58 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,895 times
New Brunswick USED to be a sleepy little "city" in Central NJ. College "town-ish". Not so anymore. Why? I could tell you but then I'd get kicked off City Data.

The truth is NOT always deemed as an acceptable discussion. Which is part of the problem everywhere and not City Data's problem...just those who don't want to know the truth and those who can't handle a mature and factual discussion on any discussion board, in any neighborhood, etc. Emphasis on FACTUAL.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM

The lameness has nothing to do with the thread's topic being unacceptable or acceptable or whatever.
Instead of trying the same old " they're coming, they're coming oh my god they're in my front yard"- why not look at the economics, the drugs, where they actually come in and the money trail? People who live in cities are not always knowledgeable about these things either - especially if they are higher income people. The burbs are clueless arguement is just more of same old on here too.
Most of what the OP says is not really something to debate factually. Not specific enough- not deep enough.

Last edited by cyntmac; 11-20-2008 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,090 times
^^^

Please dm me the reason

NJ is definitely safer now than back in the 80's

I believe in the 90s there was a drop of in gang activity, and then started to pick back up by 2000

a lot of these poor south american immigrants are now heading for NJ and LI, instead of staying in NYC because of the costs

with these immigrants come the bad elements that come to pray on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey