Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
bfl bfl started this thread

31 posts, read 138,447 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Berkeley Heights which we like but which has NO diversity. Looking at independent schools for my girls; looking at Kent Place, Montclair Kimberley, The Pingry School and maybe Oak Knoll (last resort; its admissions officer could not give me the student composition break down). Any feedback on which school offers best value in terms of academics and diverse student body would be appreciated. Should I be looking at others too? Welcome any suggestions

Also, looking for decent, diverse town within 1.5 hours (max) to down town Manhattan, low taxes and affordable ($1.2 million ish ). MUST have affordable taxes- does this rule out all of Essex county!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfl View Post
Currently live in Berkeley Heights which we like but which has NO diversity. Looking at independent schools for my girls; looking at Kent Place, Montclair Kimberley, The Pingry School and maybe Oak Knoll (last resort; its admissions officer could not give me the student composition break down). Any feedback on which school offers best value in terms of academics and diverse student body would be appreciated. Should I be looking at others too? Welcome any suggestions

Also, looking for decent, diverse town within 1.5 hours (max) to down town Manhattan, low taxes and affordable ($1.2 million ish ). MUST have affordable taxes- does this rule out all of Essex county!!!

since you can afford 1.2M for a home, i think your definition of affordable taxes and mine are probably vastly different what is considered low or affordable to you?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
I think you have a lot to choose from with your price range. But as Tahiti said - what is low taxes? I live in Chesterfield Twp (Burlington County) definately within and hour and half of Manhattan. Theres also Mansfield and Springfield you can check out too. But in Chesterfield we are building a lot right now. There is a newer developement called Chesterfield Greene - There are a few houses for sale in there for 900K or so on 1 acre lots. We have a good school system and its definately diverse. You could also look at the homes that are not in developments in Chesterfield, Springfield, Mansfield, and North Hanover. We all end up in the same schools. They are great towns. They each have that smaller town feel. Still a lot of country. I grew up in Monmouth County, but I love it here. Its not too big, not too small, its perfect!

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:41 PM

Well, I feel if I will be paying for private school and not the public sachool, I'd like to keep taxes under $12 annually. Greatest issue though is a diverse, nice community

Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM

432 posts, read 1,878,727 times
You will find good diversity of the student body at both Elisabeth Morrow and Dwight Englewood. Unfortunately, Englewood is not the land of low taxes. But it is very close to the city and is a very diverse community. You can find nice homes in your price range there, or in the neighboring towns of Tenafly, Englewood cliffs (where the taxes are low), Cresskill, Closter. These are not mansions, but nice houses in good neighborhoods.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 PM

i HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT COMMUNITIES YOU MENTIONED AND WILL CHECK OUT THE WEBSITES FOR THOSE SCHOOLS. THANKS.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:20 PM

49 posts, read 212,539 times
Montclair !!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Where in Montclair would you recopmmend and while $1.2 million seems a lot, will it get us much in M'Clair? I hear its really pricey with very high taxes. Is this true

Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM

10 posts, read 24,899 times
A house selling for about $1 million in Montclair will have taxes of roughly $20-23 thousand dollars. A typical house of this price will have 4-6 bedrooms on a quarter acre (or less). Home prices in Montclair are very dependent on location within Montclair. Homes that are a walkable distance to NYC transportation or to town are very desirable.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I find it funny that you're looking for diversity, but have picked top shelf private schools. Which prob have very little diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey