Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,596 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Staten Island, NY and work in Raritan, NJ. Looking to move to NJ. My husband works in NYC so it's been a challenge to find a place that will accommodate both our commutes. We absolutely love Manalapan. It looks like the NYC commuting options aren't bad for my husband but not so sure about my own. I work in Raritan near the Bridgewater mall. Google gives me 2 routes... 1) 287 South to the GSP, Rte 9 or 2) 287 South (exit 9) to River Rd to 18. Both are estimated at 1 hour but does anyone know realistically what I could expect during rush hour? I'm only familiar with 287 and I know it's no picnic but unfamiliar with 18. Appreciate any advice! Or suggestions for other neighborhoods in NJ.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:31 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,543 times
I can tell you that Rt. 18 is going to be a bear during regular rush hour - a lot of it has to do with the fact that you have the turnpike exit right around the exit for Rt. 1, so things tend to bottle neck pretty badly up there.

there might be other ways around it - but 287 is going to be a nightmare as well - how is your commute generally coming off the outerbridge to 287 at the moment? Another option that is a little bit off the beaten path might be grabbing the turnpike at exit 8a up to exit 10... I've actually spent the last week around Manalapan (we are moving here in mid-February, and this week was a trial run), figuring out back roads. Depending on where you are looking to live in Manalapan, it's between a 15 and 20 min drive or so to exit 8a.

Just some other thoughts. Good luck whatever you end up deciding

Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Thanks for responding!

My ride from the Outerbridge to 287 on average is tolerable barring any accidents, construction issues. There are predictable, typical rush hour volume spots like between exits 1 - 4 and then 10 - 12 and that's it except again for accidents, etc. On the way home, however, the exit for the GSP often backs up so I'd rather avoid that route if possible. I got excited when I saw the 18 route come up on Google but I guess it was too good to be true. If I can just find an alternate route even if it's back roads, I could rationalize the commute and move to Manalapan.

Where was your trial run to/from?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Manalapan seems to me to be like Staten Island transplanted. A lot of Staten Islanders there.

Avoid 18 at all costs during rush hour. It's bad enough when it's not rush hour.

Depending on where your husband works in NYC and what your budget is, you can find a more suitable town to commute from.
Although it may be an easy commute for him, it won't be as easy for you.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Default county roads

I do that trip every once in a while.
From here to there...
south on 206
east on 518
right on ? numbered county road, first right after crossing the canal, there s a traffic light there, takes you past Rockingham historic site.
follow that road thru kingston, momouth junction cross rt130, rt1
follow road directly into Jamesburg/ Manalapan

there are some other 'short cuts' from Rocky hill to Bridgewater.....

Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,958 times
Simple solution is to move to Bridgewater and you only have to worry about one commute. The only advantage Manalapan has over Bridgewater is that it's closer to the shore which you will visit at the maximum of three months in the summer. I know homes are more expensive in Bridgewater but they fall under the location,location, location rule.

E

Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 PM

We like Bridgewater but 1) my husband's commute would be tough, 2) we have our hearts set on newer construction in our price range and 3) it's missing that intangible "right" feeling you get when you just know you like a neighborhood which we do get in Manalapan.

I re-routed on Google for back roads through 206 (thanks to Kracer) and now I get 206 -> 27 -> 133 -> 33. It's actually less miles but more/less same time (approx 1 hour).

Is this route less traffic/volume?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krespos View Post
Thanks for responding!

My ride from the Outerbridge to 287 on average is tolerable barring any accidents, construction issues. There are predictable, typical rush hour volume spots like between exits 1 - 4 and then 10 - 12 and that's it except again for accidents, etc. On the way home, however, the exit for the GSP often backs up so I'd rather avoid that route if possible. I got excited when I saw the 18 route come up on Google but I guess it was too good to be true. If I can just find an alternate route even if it's back roads, I could rationalize the commute and move to Manalapan.

Where was your trial run to/from?

My husband's business is still based on Long Island for the time being - so he is going to be doing a hellacious commute from Manalapan to Farmingdale, NY. He actually enjoyed it - the 2 hours that he's in the car gives him time to get his head set on straight and begin his day. The thing is - if he was doing this for a regular job it wouldn't be an option. Since it's his own business, he's will to do the time investment.

He left the area at around 6:30am (the latest being 6:40am). He made it to his office in Farmingdale in under 2 hours, which is really all you can ask for.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,542 times
Quote:
We like Bridgewater but 1) my husband's commute would be tough, 2) we have our hearts set on newer construction in our price range and 3) it's missing that intangible "right" feeling you get when you just know you like a neighborhood which we do get in Manalapan.
what is this new construction in manalapan? anything under 500k?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,980 times
Quote:

I re-routed on Google for back roads through 206 (thanks to Kracer) and now I get 206 -> 27 -> 133 -> 33. It's actually less miles but more/less same time (approx 1 hour).

Is this route less traffic/volume?
Manalapan has great schools, but a good deal of the people there are phonies. I'm not saying you won't find that here, but its moreso there. Watch out for the taxes there, they tend to spiral at times. When I moved there in 1992, my taxes were $3900, when I left in 06, they were $7200, now they are $12,000 on that house.
I would not go thru that commute to live with people who are pretenious. I'm not saying all because I still have friends there, but they did not have to brag about things, they really did not have. One trip into a nail spa there, and you will see what I mean.
I find the people north of there more real.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: