Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 PM

86 posts, read 226,940 times

Advertisements

I went to the gas pump the other day and used my debit card as a cc. Not only did I notice that the price was higher for those paying with cc's, but when I checked my bank account the next day I saw a 56$ fee for a 26$ purchase!! I later learned that they put a hold whenever gas is purchased for a minimum of 55$. Why is this? Im very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
The price is higher because the credit card companies charge the stations a fee to process the payments- the alternative is to charge everyone the higher rate, which penalizes those who pay cash but puts more $$ in the operator's pocket. I can't comment on the hold on your credit card- my card company doesn't do that.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:36 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
The Exxon I use puts a $1 hold..I believe to make sure the card is valid then when it processes the $1 charge goes away replaced by what I purchased in gas

Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,420 times
I never heard about a hold being placed but I can confirm that they charge more because they get a charged a fee from the credit card companies. If you have a rewards card, they get charged even a higher fee.

Here's the thing, though..... as a business owner (not a gas station), I don't charge extra when a person uses a credit card. I don't know of other businesses who do, either. Why do gas stations get away with this? This practice was around years ago and then I thought it went away.... apparently, it's back in some gas stations. I try to avoid those stations whenever possible.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Gas stations operate on very thin profit margins. They average about a 12 cent profit on every gallon that is sold. However, as prices increased, their credit card fees increased. They pay about 2.5% of the sale price in credit card fees, so that cost them 5 cents when gas was $2 per gallon, but increased to 10 cents when gas went to $4 per gallon (and at those prices, I think the cash discosunt was running about 10 cents per gallon); so their fees essentially doubled while the number of gallons sold was the same. And I think it was when gas prices shot up that many gas stations went back to trying the system of charging more for credit customers.

(As someone that usually pays with credit card, I prefer the same price for both, but I recognize that the cash customers are subsidizing my convenience.)

Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
i refuse to patronize a station that charges more for CC purchases (I think it's actually illegal to do so, so they tout it as a "cash discount" - however, when they started this practice, the CC price went up (the cash price did NOT go down), so don't tell me it's a "cash discount"). over time, this has gotten increasingly difficult, but there are a handful of stations around that don't charge more, AND have cheaper prices.

i find this practice abhorrent - especially if one uses a debit card which does not incur fees.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i find this practice abhorrent - especially if one uses a debit card which does not incur fees.
Actually as long as the attendant runs it as debit and you enter your PIN you pay the cash price. I stopped for diesel the other day at a station on Route 1 across from Quaker Bridge mall in Lawrence (Amoco I think) and when I went inside to the pay the attendant saw my card and told me to pay via debit rather than credit to get the $0.05 less per gallon price.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:22 AM

88 posts, read 298,035 times
I thought they made 4-6 cents per gallon

Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd250 View Post
I thought they made 4-6 cents per gallon
It does vary quite a bit, but I think 10-12 cents is closer to historical national average (I used to finance these businesses). Some operate on less profit to try to get more traffic into their convenience store. But the main point was that the profit margin is very thin, and the rise in prices had a big impact on them since they basically doubled the credit card fees they had to pay on the same amount of gas that was sold, due to the rapid climb in pricies.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The price is higher because the credit card companies charge the stations a fee to process the payments- the alternative is to charge everyone the higher rate, which penalizes those who pay cash but puts more $$ in the operator's pocket. I can't comment on the hold on your credit card- my card company doesn't do that.
This is true with credit cards but not with debit cards. There is no merchant fee on debit cards but the merchant lumps these 2 together and is raking in the extra revenue from it.

Just to explain this further, the merchants pay the credit card companies anywhere from 2 to 6% of your purchase as their merchant fee. So if you bought a Burger King lunch for $10 and charged it, the CC company pays Burger King that $10 minus from 2 to 6%. Now think on a larger scale if you bought a new furnace for your home perhaps. The CC companies are cleaning up.

To the OP, you are saying you are surprised to see the 56 cent fee deducted? You are given the option of paying with your card at the pump and are informed that you will be charged this fee or you can cancel. Exactly like the ATM asks you if it's ok to rape us for the $2.00 for the right to take out our own money. So I wonder why you seem like you are unaware of this. You had to press YES or NO. It is against the law to deduct junk fees without your permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey