Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 AM

226 posts, read 861,481 times

Advertisements

She said it has been the worst decision of their (her and hubby's) life. They both hate it and want to return to NJ even though her remaining family are in NC. I haven't spoken to her personally yet so I don't know the reasons. Does anyone else feel the same way and why? What was it about NC that you didn't like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,637,028 times
Areas vary but I spent a summer working in the foothills near Hickory and I enjoyed the free spirited warm goofy people as well as the beautfy outside taking a walk and running from 12 unleashed dogs in the country. But the reality was I couldn't date the woman, not longterm. While I respect them, they all want to start a family and live in the country the rest of their life, not me. Plus I'm not Baptist which is what dominates many southern towns. After living there a while reality hits u and u feel out of ur element - I don't fit in, what am i doing here?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,404,637 times
I'm sure you can find people who feel like neighbor does, but for every one who feels that way, you'll find one who loved the move and wouldn't trade it for anything. There are definitely differences between living in NJ and living in NC (and also differences even within each of those states)- for some it'll be something they can deal with, and for others, NJ will always be "home", and nothing else will work.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM

226 posts, read 861,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm sure you can find people who feel like neighbor does, but for every one who feels that way, you'll find one who loved the move and wouldn't trade it for anything. There are definitely differences between living in NJ and living in NC (and also differences even within each of those states)- for some it'll be something they can deal with, and for others, NJ will always be "home", and nothing else will work.
I agree. I guess what I'm looking for is a what didn't you like/what did you like answer, that way I can try and figure out if it's right for us. Seeing as neither state is 'home' for us, that's not going to be a factor.
One thing I could take into account is that my neighbour and I are polar opposites so I will probably love it

Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,417,189 times
I'd love to hear your neighbor's reasons -- people, weather, location, what....

I moved from PA to CA and despite ideal weather there and feeling like I was on vacation for two years, in the end I missed the people and the East Coast "vibe", so I moved back. Now that it's 15 degrees, I wonder why....

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,358,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I agree. When my sister lived in NC, a pretty little town called Clemmens, she loved it. The majority of people in her neighborhood were tri-state area transplants.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:01 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,932,937 times
Everyone is different. You should ask the individual in question.
If you haven't spent time in different parts of the U.S.- you should think about doing that before moving somewhere. If you just pull up stakes and go, chances are great you will find certain things lacking. Better to do research than be surprised. These people could be city folk living in some bumble-f place who knows?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,368,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
I agree. I guess what I'm looking for is a what didn't you like/what did you like answer, that way I can try and figure out if it's right for us. Seeing as neither state is 'home' for us, that's not going to be a factor.
One thing I could take into account is that my neighbour and I are polar opposites so I will probably love it
Pushing the question back to you, what are your interests, what do you like/dislike about Jersey? Once that is known, it will be easier to evaluate.

From my own personal experience, I had a relative move down to Raleigh area from Northern NJ. He lives the normal life; has a family, drives to work, goes to the gym, spends most time at home watching tv, doing housework, improvements, goes out once in a while for food/entertainment. Doesn't venture much into NYC

While he misses some of what NJ has to offer (Nice towns, better malls, Italian food/Pizza), he likes living down there. Its a little easier in a sense he has a bigger house, can afford a nice car, likes the space, community and schools are good for his kids.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 AM

786 posts, read 2,666,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'd love to hear your neighbor's reasons -- people, weather, location, what....

I moved from PA to CA and despite ideal weather there and feeling like I was on vacation for two years, in the end I missed the people and the East Coast "vibe", so I moved back. Now that it's 15 degrees, I wonder why....
It's always greener on the other side...but yeah, i lived in Cali once (1 year only) and I have no freaking idea why I'm in jersey right now. That state is beautiful, with its mountains, beaches, and deserts.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:16 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
It's always greener on the other side...but yeah, i lived in Cali once (1 year only) and I have no freaking idea why I'm in jersey right now. That state is beautiful, with its mountains, beaches, and deserts.

Because you love us......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey