Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I suffered with low water pressure for more years than I can remember.
Last year I had the pump,water lines and tank replaced and I am amazed at the water pressure we now have.

I was watching as they removed the old pump and I can hardly believe we drank water from that system,yuck.

Perhaps your well needed some attention.

E
I think the pressure was set low because of the fact that I had a water softening system and a 1 cy micron filter for the iron... too much pressure would have blown any materials out of the filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 AM

302 posts, read 2,231,111 times
Stone, normal well systems don't backwash. Either your system has an unusual need to be backwashed because of water quality, or you're referring to a water softener/treatment system.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:13 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,162 times
While septic does require less maintanence per year than sewer charges, you always have the axe swigning over you head that if something bad were to happen to your septic or well, YOU are responsible. Inspections are critical, but even still, septics go bad, period. $300.00 for every 2 years sounds hunky-dory, but if you are staring down the barrel of a $30,000 new septic or a $15,000 new well and those cost savings are gone in a flash.

Also, with a septic, you have to be careful about the products you put down the drain, can't have a garbage disposal, etc. Then you have the possible headache of adding another bedroom to your 2 bed ranch except the septic is only 2 bed rated. Oops.

I much prefer the public utilities (sewer, water, gas) and even though I may pay more than septic, well or oil, I cannot put a dollar value on peace of mind, which is exactly what I'm getting.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:30 AM

652 posts, read 1,784,820 times
I agree with Tallguylehigh with oneother option. I know people who have propane and it is cheaper then Nat gas, a five gal bottle is enough to cook for a few months. If you heat with it and the previos poster who mentioned that the Propane delivery company owns the tank, you can buy 100 gal tanks at Costco. I don't know if they require you to bury them there, out west people have them outside in the same way you might have you Heat Pump outside.
My preference for City Utilities is that I have a habit of forgetting to do maintenance and that removes several possible problems for me.
Gas companies that give you the business about certifying the tank is safe as the reason for insisting on their own tank installation, aren't being completely honest. Any tank will have an inspection sticker on it when you buy it and a simple pressure check, any plumber could set it up in 10 minutes, will relieve any doubt if there is a valid question. The test involves putting the tank under pressure (the PSI is predetermined by Code) with a gage on it then leaving the tank under pressure for most commonly 24 hrs. After that the gage should read the same and the tank is safe. Usually you have to have an inspector present at the time of pressurizing, then again at the end of the alloted time period.
Good Luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
While septic does require less maintanence per year than sewer charges, you always have the axe swigning over you head that if something bad were to happen to your septic or well, YOU are responsible. Inspections are critical, but even still, septics go bad, period. $300.00 for every 2 years sounds hunky-dory, but if you are staring down the barrel of a $30,000 new septic or a $15,000 new well and those cost savings are gone in a flash.

Also, with a septic, you have to be careful about the products you put down the drain, can't have a garbage disposal, etc. Then you have the possible headache of adding another bedroom to your 2 bed ranch except the septic is only 2 bed rated. Oops.

I much prefer the public utilities (sewer, water, gas) and even though I may pay more than septic, well or oil, I cannot put a dollar value on peace of mind, which is exactly what I'm getting.
You mean "adding a den" or office . This is typically the way around having to enlarge your septic... I was in the business for 7 yrs - I know all the tricks . I actually had (it expired) a license to install. It's amazing what a bunch of "dirt (soil)", "stones" and PVC piping will cost you.. it adds up and 30K is about right.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
it amazes me that in this day & age, anyone would prefer well / septic
over city sewer / city water...
I don't think anyone really prefers septic over sewer, it's simply a fact of life based on where you want to live. Right now I have sewer but our next home is going to be on acreage so we'll have to have septic. Needless to say unless the septic is less than 10 years old it's getting replaced. I'd rather spend $10-15K up front (my buddy installs septics and its amazing what they cost when the machine time is free and there's no markup on the materials) than spend it down the road when its going to be a hassle. As for a well I would prefer well water just because our tap water is pretty nasty-well water can be too, but you can treat it. Not having power is certainly a concern, but IMHO if you live in an area where septic/wells are needed, you should consider a generator a necessity rather than a luxury.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 AM

179 posts, read 706,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
.............wells need to "backwash" .............

Never heard of that. What do you mean?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,866 times
Years ago, I used well water. The house and well were next to farm land and now, I wonder how many pesticides/chemicals leached into our well.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM

356 posts, read 284,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
it amazes me that in this day & age, anyone would prefer well / septic
over city sewer / city water...
it may interest you to know that city water has added chlorine and
fluoride, not to mention other contaminants (PCBs, THMs, heavy metals).

maybe look up these additives and then decide for yourself if you'd voluntarily poison your children.

fyi: just because water flows out of a tap that is provided by your local city, don't expect it to be alright to ingest. just a little research will yield a lot of doubt. don't expect government to take care of you or think they even know what they're doing.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
it may interest you to know that city water has added chlorine and
fluoride, not to mention other contaminants (PCBs, THMs, heavy metals).

maybe look up these additives and then decide for yourself if you'd voluntarily poison your children.

fyi: just because water flows out of a tap that is provided by your local city, don't expect it to be alright to ingest. just a little research will yield a lot of doubt. don't expect government to take care of you or think they even know what they're doing.
Don't forget your tinfoil hat so they can't read your brain waves So I take it that the government is hiding the mass graves that they're putting all the people killed by tap water in? Seriously, does no one possess common sense anymore? If you have well water get it tested, if you have tap water, get it tested. If you don't like either buy some friggin bottled water!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey