Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,811 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Lately I've been considering relocating to North Jersey just outside of New York and was hoping to for some advice. We're both 20-somethings, no kids ect. Just somewhere safe & close to public transportation.

We've been looking at Weehawken or Jersey City. Does anyone know the avg. rent for those two areas? Or if there is another place around that area we should be considering?

Public Transit, safety, & cost are really our only priorities.. Also it would be nice if it was very accessible to NYC. On a side note, I've read lots of bad things about JC on these forums... are there parts of Jersey City that would be a good place to look.

Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,635,045 times
Hoboken is another place to check out.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,689,435 times
^^Hoboken is only good if you can afford the average 2000/mo for a nice but pretty small one bedroom apartment.

Jersey City is nice. It's close to Hoboken without the Hoboken prices. It's great for young people to live because the nightlife in JC is great and being next to NYC is a huge plus.
But the neighborhoods in Jersey City that are really worth it are Journal Square, Historic section, waterfront, and The Heights. If you see any JC apartments in Greenville or Bergen/Lafayette section, don't consider.

The neighborhoods of Journal Square, Historic section, waterfront, and The Heights are pretty pricey but it's not difficult to find something in a decent price range.
I would say the average apartment in this area of JC is around 1400/mo for a 1 bedroom and possibly a 2 bedroom. Yes, im sure you can find cheaper in these n-hoods and that's great... just remember the sections to stay away from.

PS, Check craigslist and type in one of the JC neighborhoods to see what you can find.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks so much for the reply. That was very helpful Hoboken is definitely out of our price range- which was why I didn't even mention it:P

It's nice to hear there are good parts of JC-- and thanks for the info on the parts to stay away from. We haven't really spent any time there so it's any advice is very helpful. We're in a nicer part of Philly now, so anything w/ comparable prices & neighborhoods is something we'd consider.

Does anyone know if Weehawken is more expensive then JC? Or is it about the same.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
I have to say...any neighborhood that you will want to live in in Jersey City (aka, Downtown) will be as expensive as Hoboken.

There are 1 bedroom apartments that can be found in both Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City in the $1,400 range. They will just be small and not that nice.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,693 times
Who needs a nice apartment, anyway?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Who needs a nice apartment, anyway?
LOL - I swear it should be a rite of passage that every 20 something live in a crappy apartment once in their lives.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,889,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
^^Hoboken is only good if you can afford the average 2000/mo for a nice but pretty small one bedroom apartment.

Jersey City is nice. It's close to Hoboken without the Hoboken prices. It's great for young people to live because the nightlife in JC is great and being next to NYC is a huge plus.
But the neighborhoods in Jersey City that are really worth it are Journal Square, Historic section, waterfront, and The Heights. If you see any JC apartments in Greenville or Bergen/Lafayette section, don't consider.

The neighborhoods of Journal Square, Historic section, waterfront, and The Heights are pretty pricey but it's not difficult to find something in a decent price range.
I would say the average apartment in this area of JC is around 1400/mo for a 1 bedroom and possibly a 2 bedroom. Yes, im sure you can find cheaper in these n-hoods and that's great... just remember the sections to stay away from.

PS, Check craigslist and type in one of the JC neighborhoods to see what you can find.

Good luck.
I know someone who has a $1200 2BR right by JSQ. they got it a few months ago, too, so rents might have come down a bit since then.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
I know someone who has a $1200 2BR right by JSQ. they got it a few months ago, too, so rents might have come down a bit since then.
The rental sector wasn't really a bubble, so I doubt they've moved down much ... but for what it's worth, my landlord hasn't raised the rent since I moved in early 2007. My apartment near JSQ costs me 1300.

Around JSQ you should be able to get something nice for 1200. There are some apartments for much less than that, but they are very run-down.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the info-- when I looked at stuff in Hoboken it appeared to be way more then JC. (2000k+) While JC's rents seem pretty comparable to Philadelphia for the most part. (Right now we're paying around 1200 for our apartment here)

And I've had my fair share of crappy apartments^^. I rather have something safe & close to transit then something super nice & expensive. My last crappy apartment had a washer&dryer inside (I know how can that be bad), but they weren't hooked up to anything-- so the dryer just blew hot air throughout the apartment. Also one time the washer overflowed and soaked our entire wall/stairway...

Thanks again for info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey