Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM

11,367 posts, read 16,746,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Errr ummm..because he is a republican. Rob from the poor and give to the rich.... robbin' in the hood.
Sure, keep on believing that the Dems are your freinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,077,790 times
the Dems are the lesser of 2 evils.

see: 2000-2008 presidency

Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,632,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
the Dems are the lesser of 2 evils.

see: 2000-2008 presidency
Exactly! Dems are my friends - Republicans would have me excommunicated if they could!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:33 PM

2,981 posts, read 3,542,694 times
Quote:
Errr ummm..because he is a republican. Rob from the poor and give to the rich.... robbin' in the hood.
this is an idiotic description...New Jersey property taxes are ridiculously high, cut the friggin' government size over there and maybe lower the things.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
this is an idiotic description...New Jersey property taxes are ridiculously high, cut the friggin' government size over there and maybe lower the things.
Property taxes are not determined by our Governor...

Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,836,162 times
Quote:
Property taxes are not determined by our Governor...
But Wiley,

By cause and effect, in large measure, they are influenced by the governor. Corzine has lowered income tax revenues to the municipalities. The original intent of the income tax in 1976 was specifically for this purpose, to take pressure off the local portion of the property tax bill, which is heavily influenced by school spending. The SC of NJ has, through a series of rulings, steered increasingly more money to city districts, at the expense of rural and suburban districts. I've said this before: 33 districts in NJ consume 60% of the income taxes remitted to the statehouse.

You might ask: what does this have to do with the governorship? Well, the governor of NJ is one of the most powerful, legislatively speaking, in the country. The governor has the capability to extricate the judiciary from the education business through referendum. This current governor would NEVER, EVER ponder such action, however. Why? Because instead of winning 75% of the vote in Hudson, Essex and Camden counties, he'd get maybe only 65% of the vote. Not because voters would vote against him, but rather, because they wouldn't show up. Corzine has a vested interest in preserving funds to the Abbott districts because that is where his political base resides. In last year's budget, for instance, Corzine eliminated all state aid for towns that have less than 5k in population, and as I recall, cut in half by 50% towns that have between 5k and 10k in population. What do you think the localities had to do, in order to recoup those cuts? In contrast, consider Newark. In Newark, the average homeowner pays 5% of the cost of government in property taxes. In most suburban, well to do towns, however, you're going to be paying about 70%. Why? Because state aid is exceedingly low. And that is how the governor, in this case, Jon Corzine, can influence what your property taxes are. He can do it, and he is doing it.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
But Wiley,

By cause and effect, in large measure, they are influenced by the governor. Corzine has lowered income tax revenues to the municipalities. The original intent of the income tax in 1976 was specifically for this purpose, to take pressure off the local portion of the property tax bill, which is heavily influenced by school spending. The SC of NJ has, through a series of rulings, steered increasingly more money to city districts, at the expense of rural and suburban districts. I've said this before: 33 districts in NJ consume 60% of the income taxes remitted to the statehouse.

You might ask: what does this have to do with the governorship? Well, the governor of NJ is one of the most powerful, legislatively speaking, in the country. The governor has the capability to extricate the judiciary from the education business through referendum. This current governor would NEVER, EVER ponder such action, however. Why? Because instead of winning 75% of the vote in Hudson, Essex and Camden counties, he'd get maybe only 65% of the vote. Not because voters would vote against him, but rather, because they wouldn't show up. Corzine has a vested interest in preserving funds to the Abbott districts because that is where his political base resides. In last year's budget, for instance, Corzine eliminated all state aid for towns that have less than 5k in population, and as I recall, cut in half by 50% towns that have between 5k and 10k in population. What do you think the localities had to do, in order to recoup those cuts? In contrast, consider Newark. In Newark, the average homeowner pays 5% of the cost of government in property taxes. In most suburban, well to do towns, however, you're going to be paying about 70%. Why? Because state aid is exceedingly low. And that is how the governor, in this case, Jon Corzine, can influence what your property taxes are. He can do it, and he is doing it.
Well ya learn something new everyday . Good thing I live in an Abbott School District... my taxes are pretty low considering I live in NJ. Guess I now know who I need to vote for then .

Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

612 posts, read 1,012,690 times
Quote:
Well ya learn something new everyday . Good thing I live in an Abbott School District... my taxes are pretty low considering I live in NJ. Guess I now know who I need to vote for then .
and you had the audacity to try to claim that you were paying for my non existent children's education through your own property taxes when you live in an Abbot district? Rofl!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
and you had the audacity to try to claim that you were paying for my non existent children's education through your own property taxes when you live in an Abbot district? Rofl!
Just moved out here my friend... Actually, I had no idea it was an Abbott district until recently. I don't have children so the school system was not that important for my "non-existent" brats as well

Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,503,219 times
Quote:
Just moved out here my friend... Actually, I had no idea it was an Abbott district until recently. I don't have children so the school system was not that important for my "non-existent" brats as well
One of the reasons behind the high property taxes is actually the "low rate" on NJ State income taxes. Although the top bracket has a relatively high rate, it kicks in at a fairly high income. Here in NC, the top rate kicks in at $60,000. Does anyone in NJ pay $4500 on $60,000 in state income tax? I believe the slightly higher top rate in NJ starts at around $150,000. I can well remember Christy Whitman's claim of lowering the state income tax in 1994, but the next year local property taxes increased dramatically! This had the effect of decreasing the taxes on the wealthy and moving more of them onto middle-class earners. It's truly amazing how $30,000 wage earners complained about the so-called "death taxes" when only "million dollar and higher" estates were paying them, but on the repeal of those "death taxes", those $30,000 wage earners had to make up the shortfall. It's baffles me how many low-income people drank that "Kool-Aid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey