Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times

Advertisements

OK, I'll go first. Was it the third floor walk-up in Greenpoint, Brooklyn with bare plywood for flooring, or the fifth floor walk-up in Hoboken that I lived in for four years with the heat turned off?

On second thought, maybe it was the ground level apartment in Hoboken I was chased out of by the owner's middle aged son dancing around the backyard naked, spraying a hose and singing "Everything needs love." That was before he shoved an air conditioning unit from the third floor window to the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:15 PM

And he put a stuffed eagle in his window to warn off intruders. And put a dead mouse in my neighbor's bathroom.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 PM

When clothed he wore orange parachute pants.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM

bump

Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
I can't top any of these... the places we've lived in just haven't been that bad.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
OK, I'll go first. Was it the third floor walk-up in Greenpoint, Brooklyn with bare plywood for flooring, or the fifth floor walk-up in Hoboken that I lived in for four years with the heat turned off?

On second thought, maybe it was the ground level apartment in Hoboken I was chased out of by the owner's middle aged son dancing around the backyard naked, spraying a hose and singing "Everything needs love." That was before he shoved an air conditioning unit from the third floor window to the sidewalk.
Why didnt you call the housing inspector if the heat was turned off?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Housing Inspector? In Hoboken? come to my apt? That's very funny.

I called the owner, who lived in California, and he told me to call the mgmt. co. They poo poohed me and said everything was ok. Little ladies in their 20s get used to being poo poohed.

I only found out it was turned off when I moved out and my friend moved in and her boyfriend figured it out on his own!

Jeez, guys, instead of being so prickly, share your own stories of horror, instead of needling me. Where's your sense of humor?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I never had any bad ones but I'll share how it was at my moms boyfriends house in Westmont [next to collingswood]. It was a row home across the street from acme, 2 bedrooms 1 bath. The bathroom was so ignorantly designed that u had to literally sit on the toilet diagonally unless u were under 4' tall. So the toilet seat stayed crooked. He had a huge fat dog that was sniff and slobber up ur crotch unless u had the heart to push him away without him eating u. The floor was wooden and worn out with leather couches that would slide back when u sat on them, the dining, stairs, and upstair rooms had old carpet that should have been wripped out long ago. He once owned a 12ft python and 6ft eguana that would get loose.

And the craziest thing is that when I would sit on the porch, cars would drive by yelling at me and calling me weird names, screaming to theirself like they have terets syndrome for no apparent reason. There's a lot of old money and spoiled potheads in this area.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,559 times
Homeowner and family lived downstairs from me.
The bugger, never completed his own apartments reno since his children lived with insulation in their walls with no sheet rock, for the five years I rented there.

Year two, I told him and his wife, the shower/bath leaked profusely, he would never repair. All he did was come upstairs and ask, "Did you take a shower..? water is leaking into my L/R !" Duh..
He put plastic and duct tape in the shower "temporarily". After year two, I ripped it down and let the water FLOW!, when his walls started bowing in his D/R, he finally repaired the shower, it took all of ONE DAY! I moved out shortly after.
I have seen same apt, years later, totally renovated, he was asking $1300 month !! 2BR/1 BTH.E/K

Sligogirl

Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
As a kid, our family lived in a 3 apartment house in NE NJ. The apartment we lived in had no thermostat, it was controlled by the thermostat in the apartment above. They kept their small LR/BR/Kitchen warm by keeping the oven on, which knocked out the thermostat's effectiveness. The landlord would come over on cold days wearing a hat, gloves and a jacket, stand in our apartment, and state, ' don't see what's wrong here.'He never took his jacket, hat or gloves off. He would go upstairs, check the temp, go downstairs, check the furnace, and state, ' don't know why you don't have heat, everything is working as it should.'When he took off his gloves to touch the radiator, he said they felt warm (again, he had just come in from the cold and our 50 degree radiator WOULD feel warm next to the 30 degree exterior temperature)
In this same house, the squirrels chewed through our ceiling. The upstairs neighbor had enough of the rodents in his closet, so he forced poison into any opening he saw. Within days, the squirrels died and the house filled with flies shortly after. We captured over 200 flies while he vacationed in Germany. We called his house, his son answered, and embarrassed, sent over an extermination crew, who found the decayed squirrel and threw it away, then sprayed liberally. He was a nasty man who increased our rent by 20-50 dollars yearly, w/o offering any improvements to the property, he just stated it was cost of living increases.
We also had shower problems, and the landlord tried to address it with plastic as well until we tore it down and it ruined the walls in the bath in the apartment below us. That got theirs fixed, then ours. He and his wife spoke to each other in German, so we couldn't understand them. My Dad understood a bit of it, and he would make commentary in English in their presence. They stopped that pretty quickly. He was a lazy, no good man, and to this day I cannot think of anything redeeming about him. He had decent kids we knew in school and as they graduated from HS, they moved out and away from him. He was even an embarassment to them.

Last edited by Kin Atoms; 02-25-2009 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: grammar, punctuation, and additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey