Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times

Advertisements

I want to puke. Brick has just signed off on the camera installation with a company from Arizona at 600K an intersection times two. So they are paying a company 1.2 million in an attempt to fleece motorists for red light tickets in the name of safety. Officials estimate that the intersections will draw in 50K a month due to studies. In these tough times they want to bilk you out of your last bucks. What ever happened to a traffic cop writing a couple of tickets once in a while. The company will take about 36K a month and give Brick the rest. Town officials should be taken to the park and tarred and feathered. What jerkoffs. My solution is not setting foot in the town because they want to rob ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM

392 posts, read 842,150 times
Yes, this is pretty bad. This is just another tax. But we live in NJ, so we must like taxes.

One good thing, this tax is avoidable. Just don't blow the reds. Now if they put speeding cams, that's another story

Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
i'm not sure what you're upset about, the fact that people will get tickets for going through red lights or the fact cops won't be needed? we don't have to pay a pension to a red light camera!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
we don't have to pay a pension to a red light camera!
Don't give the state any ideas.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
These cameras do cut down on aggressive late moves through yellow lights. I know every light in my area that has these cameras and I'm as docile as can be as I make my approach. They may be a taxing mechanism, but they do enhance safety. NJ has way too many aggressive drivers, so I don't actually mind these types of countermeasures.

-Marc

Old 02-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
These cameras do cut down on aggressive late moves through yellow lights. I know every light in my area that has these cameras and I'm as docile as can be as I make my approach. They may be a taxing mechanism, but they do enhance safety. NJ has way too many aggressive drivers, so I don't actually mind these types of countermeasures.

-Marc
Hopefully that is how it will work in NJ (with the longer yellow). However, having lived in Brooklyn, I can tell you that there were some nice accidents around these camera areas as those who knew about the cameras tended to stomp the brakes on yellow and sometimes get rear ended.

here's a link w/some studies which show that they have a negative effect on safety:
http://www.motorists.org/blog/red-li...that-prove-it/

Last edited by xmonger; 02-27-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 PM

OK, but keep in mind that the NMA is anti-enforcement of traffic laws. If they had their way, there would be no speed limit at all. Which would be fine with me, I was a member for many years.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:01 PM

607 posts, read 957,730 times
Brick isn't first, though...
NJ Red Light Camera Program Expands to More Localities « Mobilizing the Region

Running a red light is illegal. Hard to see the animosity here AGAINST inforcement - it's as though the thought is that if the cops aren't there to write a ticket, then it's OK to run the light.

I fail to see how the argument makes any sort of common sense...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
Brick isn't first, though...
NJ Red Light Camera Program Expands to More Localities « Mobilizing the Region

Running a red light is illegal. Hard to see the animosity here AGAINST inforcement - it's as though the thought is that if the cops aren't there to write a ticket, then it's OK to run the light.

I fail to see how the argument makes any sort of common sense...
The problem will be when the light is yellow. Right now most people speed up to go through. Once the red light cameras are in, people will slam on their brakes at yellow and there will be many rear ended accidents.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 PM

If traffic lights were implemented more intelligently, they wouldn't be flouted as often as they are. I mean, if you're travelling on, say, Route 10, at 4AM, then lights should NEVER turn red unless there are cars waiting at the intersection.

How many times have I had to slow my car from 50MPH to a complete stop only to sit at a red light for NO REASON AT ALL. Waste of time, waste of gas, increases air pollution.

Traffic control equipment needs to be brought into the 20th century.

While I'm at it, I hate the fact that exit ramps and jughandles and highway curves in NJ are NOT BANKED PROPERLY. They are completely underbanked, which causes way more unnecessary braking. Again wasting energy and increasing wear and tear on brakes, as well as increasing air pollution.

Go to California. The curves are properly banked. It's much easier (and fun) to drive on properly engineered roadways.

-Marc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: