Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

when will people realize that not everyone from newark is bad. i was looking for a house for rent in south jersey but might have to scrap it altogether. landlords ask me where you from? i say newark and they ask"why do you want they ask "why do you want to move from newark? i tell thenm its dangerous. needless to say i dont get a call back. other times they know i come from nwk, but when they say what is your income i say 6000 a month and a nurse they would say "you dont have section 8?" like im supposed to automatically have it because im from newark. needless to say i dont get called back from those types of ll either. lastly the types of LL that ask is your partner working i say no my income is enough for a fam of 5, why isnt he? i say b/c he stays home with the kids" no call back either from those LL. what is the best way to convice others that everyone is not bad from newark. i dont dress ghetto either or act it. even in willingboro and mount holly im having these problems,even thoigh nothing looks too crime free there either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Slap me too but when I hear Newark I cringe too. My first thoughts are why live in a getto if one has a choice? Of course some do not have a choice but you do even though I never heard of a Nurse making that kind of money. Maybe they are generalizing other things about you too.

I understand some parts of Newark have been revitalized. I hear the same about Jersey City and hoboken as well as other areas that I remember as the slum of the earth yet today the young professionals with money are moving in to these revitalized areas. I would not could not...just knowing what it used to be and the stigma still attached to it.

Last time I was in Newark was about 11 years ago. I took a train in to visit family. While waiting for family to come get me I decided to walk around. That didn't last long as I would have felt safer walking the streets of Iran with a shirt that said America is #1.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
It's really not their business to know about your "reasons" for relocation. I would never tell a company or landlord about my last place being "dangerous". Too much info. Use common sense.

As far as an adult not working- this might be a negative from a landlord's point of view. Especially with so many minors in a home. If I was the landlord that would not be my preference. I would always choose 2 wage earners with fewer kids. It wouldn't matter where they came from.

I don't really think most people care where you are from. I really don't. I really don't. I really don't think it.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
There are bad parts of Newark, but also some average working class/blue collar areas, middle class areas and then also some fancy yuppified areas too. I thought this was common knowledge, at least among New Jerseyans.

As far as a nurse making $6,000 a month (i.e. $72,000 a year)...that's nothing out of the ordinary at all. That figure could even be higher if she works OT hours.

What I don't understand is, what the hell are they doing asking you about Section 8, if you're making that kind of money? That makes no sense.

Here's a link about housing discrimination, but I don't think that your Newark 'stigma' (unlikely) qualifies as being discrimination as outlined by the law. You might be able to make a case about your family status, but it's very iffy.

http://www.peoples-law.org/housing/ltenant/bni/bni%20discrimination.htm (broken link)

These landlords could be rejecting you based on the fact that, OK, you have a great job in Newark...do you have one lined up in South Jersey near where you are planning to rent? Are the hospitals in those areas in sufficient financial shape that they're willing to take on more nurses? This is completely legitimate.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 08-02-2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: duh---forgot the link

Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
After getting a couple REPs for my last post I went back to reread what I said that people liked. I was reminded of a funny thing:

Back in the middle 80s we used to stay in Newark, New York which is a pretty little city up about a half hour below Rochester where Kodak is. But we went for the Genesee River known for the greatest Salmon fishing. We spent many a good times in Newark, NY.

We used to call the Operator for the number of the hotel in Newark, NY and she always would make comments like "are you sure you want to go there"? And "oh you mean Newark, NJ"? I said NO I mean Newark, NY and it is a wonderful safe pretty town.

I guess the point is Newarks reputation is known everywhere and people do cringe when thinking about that aweful place.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:11 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
People may cringe or not but I really think that is a very minor issue in this kind of circumstance. You have to read the OP again. Whether this is a sincere one or not- I answered it in real world terms.

Landlords deal with certain realities and yes they are not always fair. If this person really existed-they are in good position just by virtue of the fact that they can raise all those kids on one income. Few are so lucky. That really stands out.
Again, in the real world it is not normal to give out lots of personal info to landlords, employers, whatever. Any sane person should know this.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
The majority of the people I work with are from Livington, Glen Ridger and Upper Montclair and when I told them I lived in Newark they nearly soiled themselves.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM

835 posts, read 1,179,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Slap me too but when I hear Newark I cringe too. My first thoughts are why live in a getto if one has a choice? Of course some do not have a choice but you do even though I never heard of a Nurse making that kind of money. Maybe they are generalizing other things about you too.

I understand some parts of Newark have been revitalized. I hear the same about Jersey City and hoboken as well as other areas that I remember as the slum of the earth yet today the young professionals with money are moving in to these revitalized areas. I would not could not...just knowing what it used to be and the stigma still attached to it.

Last time I was in Newark was about 11 years ago. I took a train in to visit family. While waiting for family to come get me I decided to walk around. That didn't last long as I would have felt safer walking the streets of Iran with a shirt that said America is #1.
I'm one of those professionals. I COULD afford a house in the burbs but why? So I can get ripped on taxes, pay for an over priced home declineing in value, commute in traffic for an hour, pay outrageous parking, tolls, gas, train fare? The jobs are all in the north part of NJ and NYC. NYC is to expensive, hoboken is to expensive, the nice parts of JC is expensive, newark on the other hand is depressed in the University Heights area as people cringe when they hear newark. So now that it is cleaning up the upside is my condo will appreciate in value and quality of life is good as I have no traffic and reduced stress and spend more time with my family.

Last edited by block911; 08-02-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 02:36 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
I don't think all people from Newark are bad, but hearing someone is from there doesn't always conjure up images of a nice, successful family. The place is a disaster, let's be honest, and there is a large percentage of the city on some form of public assistance.

How about trying to deal with a real estate agent to rent instead of a landlord individually? Maybe that would make things easier in your search for a new place.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
It's unfortunate that you've been judged because you live in Newark. If you have a good salary, good credit report and no criminal background, why should it matter?

That said, why don't you consider buying your own place? With the $8,000 housing credit and home prices lower than they've been in years it seems like this would be a good time for someone with a steady job to become a homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey