Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 22,878 times

Advertisements

i have been paying rent every month for almost 3 years.
the most recent rent payment was due on 3/1 but i have not been able to pay due to my financial issues.
yesterday, the landlord came and asked me to pay the rent but i had no other choice but to tell him that i had no money at the time.
this morning, he came again and i told him the same thing. i had to get ready to go to work but he stayed outside the door and kept on banging on the door for 10 minutes or so. i told him that i would send him the payment by 3/25 (thats when i will have the money) but he said that was not acceptable and would give me until today to pay the rent.
it seems like he will be calling me every evening and coming over every morning, and it is going to cause so much stress on me and my family.
i know it is not fair for him not getting the payment on time but i am just not able to make the payment until 3/25.
can my landlord keep calling and coming everyday? what can i do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times
Do you have a lease? Doesn't it say there is a late charge if you pay late? His fear is if you pay March 1st rent on March 25 then what about April 1st rent check.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:14 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
It doesn't sound right to me that he's coming over and harassing and intimidating you. If you're going to be able to pay on 3/25 you're doing the best you can.

Please search for a NJ tenant's rights organization *today* to know your rights. I've heard a landlord can't throw you out on the street for at least a few months, even if you pay no rent at all. But you need to arm yourself with facts because this guy sounds like a scary bully.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjumper78 View Post
i have been paying rent every month for almost 3 years.
the most recent rent payment was due on 3/1 but i have not been able to pay due to my financial issues.
yesterday, the landlord came and asked me to pay the rent but i had no other choice but to tell him that i had no money at the time.
this morning, he came again and i told him the same thing. i had to get ready to go to work but he stayed outside the door and kept on banging on the door for 10 minutes or so. i told him that i would send him the payment by 3/25 (thats when i will have the money) but he said that was not acceptable and would give me until today to pay the rent.
it seems like he will be calling me every evening and coming over every morning, and it is going to cause so much stress on me and my family.
i know it is not fair for him not getting the payment on time but i am just not able to make the payment until 3/25.
can my landlord keep calling and coming everyday? what can i do about it?
If your rent was due on 3/1 and you're going to pay him on 3/25, when are you going to have the 4/1 payment ready? or are you planning on paying the 3/1 and the 4/1 on 3/25?

Are you frequently late paying your rent? I mean, it seems a bit harsh from your landlord if this is the first time you're late.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM

7 posts, read 22,878 times
thanks for the responses.
ive been paying the rent on time every month for nearly 3 years but it came to an end this month.
yes, there is a lease. actually, it was for the first year. after the first year, we have not signed anything for renewal. we just sent him the rent and there was nothing said about it. the original lease does say that there is $75 late fee for rent not made on time.
i am not a law expert but ive heard that the landlord can not really come bang on the tenant's door for a rent payment a few weeks late(i've heard months).
regarding the april rent, i do not know how i am going to come up with it after i pay the march rent, but i am going to do everything to make it. the landlord is not even asking about the april rent. he is just freaking out about the march rent.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Wow, you pay on time for 3 years, and are a few days late and he's banging on the door????????? This seems unreasonable really. I would explain to him that you just don't have the money. It's only March 10. He is allowed to charge you some sort of late fee. Are you on a month to month lease or what?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjumper78 View Post
thanks for the responses.
ive been paying the rent on time every month for nearly 3 years but it came to an end this month.
yes, there is a lease. actually, it was for the first year. after the first year, we have not signed anything for renewal. we just sent him the rent and there was nothing said about it. the original lease does say that there is $75 late fee for rent not made on time.
i am not a law expert but ive heard that the landlord can not really come bang on the tenant's door for a rent payment a few weeks late(i've heard months).
regarding the april rent, i do not know how i am going to come up with it after i pay the march rent, but i am going to do everything to make it. the landlord is not even asking about the april rent. he is just freaking out about the march rent.
If this is the first time you're late, your landlord is simply been an a$$hole. Pay him no mind if you know already that you'll pay him by 3/25. As long as you don't accumulate months and months of due rent, you'll be fine.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
If this is the first time you're late, your landlord is simply been an a$$hole. Pay him no mind if you know already that you'll pay him by 3/25. As long as you don't accumulate months and months of due rent, you'll be fine.
I betcha the landlord is tight on money too (their fault or not) and needs the rent to pay the mortgage and taxes and doesn't want to be late.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Yeah and if this guy continues to be an a-hole he can make the OP and his family's life a living hell. That's why a tenant's rights group is needed.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I betcha the landlord is tight on money too (their fault or not) and needs the rent to pay the mortgage and taxes and doesn't want to be late.
That is probably it, most Landlords need to pay their mortgage on time, just like you are required to pay your rent on time.
If he is late with the mortgage payment, he'll become delinquent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey