Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times

Advertisements

Home prices rise for the first time in a year, FHFA says - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 AM

268 posts, read 761,585 times
Not in NJ, I can assure you of that.

Not only that, but it doesn't seem odd to you that all this "positive" government based information is coming out during a time when the government has publically said they are trying to build consumer confidence?

I think this is just another spin put out in the news to make people believe things are better than they are... reality is, things are actually getting worse.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Home-prices-post-63-pct-apf-14728104.html (broken link)

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
You know what I hate? Of course you don't, and you don't care but anyway...

The whole interweb thing has been around for a fair while now and still these idiot news sites don't provide simple up front links to the source data they are writing about. Probably because then it would be obvious that they were regurgitating press releases most of the time I guess.

Anyway the actual report which is a much better read than some idiot's writing after skimming it is at: http://www.fhfa.gov/webfiles/1853/MonthlyHPI32409.pdf

And for ghuber, a 1.5% increase in the region consisting of PA/NJ/NY.

So we have one set of reports saying lower prices but higher volumes, and another sating higher prices but lower volumes. Next week it Case-Shiller for January time - one that actually doesn't have skin in the game. The YoY number in that report is still a rather large drop.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM

612 posts, read 1,010,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
housing cheerleaders are funny. They try to grasp to any hope of good news, no matter how incredible the source is. Seriously, at some point, I just want to beat it out of people.

MoorestownResident, home prices don't increase when unemployment levels increase and GDP decreases (for you layman out there, that means when people are losing jobs and those that aren't are making less money), not even in your beloved Moorestown.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Don't be fooled by the negative comments. Those that talk bearish are buying, but don't want to tell just in case it falls again & they look like fools... The bulls on the other hand want you to jump in and that will show that they were/are right.

Me ? I just want the country to get better economically, so I guess I'm categorized as one of the R.E. bulls...

Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM

505 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
housing cheerleaders are funny. They try to grasp to any hope of good news, no matter how incredible the source is. Seriously, at some point, I just want to beat it out of people.

MoorestownResident, home prices don't increase when unemployment levels increase and GDP decreases (for you layman out there, that means when people are losing jobs and those that aren't are making less money), not even in your beloved Moorestown.
I swear, it seems that recently all the city-data forum has become is a playground where two packs of wild dogs show up in real estate threads to tear down one another.

There is a real estate forum on city-data, maybe a lot of these threads should be moved over there?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Don't be fooled by the negative comments. Those that talk bearish are buying, but don't want to tell just in case it falls again & they look like fools... The bulls on the other hand want you to jump in and that will show that they were/are right.

Me ? I just want the country to get better economically, so I guess I'm categorized as one of the R.E. bulls...
I don't think ANYONE here doesn't want the country to get better economically. How/what makes the country economically better is what they debate is really.

RE prices staying at bubble type prices or no lonnger declining in your eyes is a good thing and helps the country out.

RE prices dropping to customary historical prices where there is a income/price relationshop is where the bears think best suits the country.

Which is right? Where will the RE bottom be? No one really knows and how long it takes to get there is clearly up for debate.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:29 PM

109 posts, read 345,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
I swear, it seems that recently all the city-data forum has become is a playground where two packs of wild dogs show up in real estate threads to tear down one another.

There is a real estate forum on city-data, maybe a lot of these threads should be moved over there?
yeah but these threads are better in this forum since they're local to nj

Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 PM

505 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboscis View Post
yeah but these threads are better in this forum since they're local to nj
Please show me where in the OP's post it references only the NJ market.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM

109 posts, read 345,406 times
To para-phrase what you said, there are a bunch of "real estate" threads being started in the forum lately. Usually (not always, like this thread, please forgive me), they are about real estate in NJ. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: