Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2AZSusan View Post
Oh my God! You guys are making my mouth water and bringing back so many memories, I can't believe it! I have not lived in NJ since 1997 but my mom's whole family came from Lyndhurst and I well remember all of my aunts going to Mazur's for "crumb buns".
When I say crumb buns here in Arizona, people have no idea what I am talking about and look at me like I am a little loopy.
There is a lot I miss about NJ and I now write an online column about it. I devoted one whole post to breakfast and the lack of good, or relatively any, bakeries in the Phoenix area. If you want to read it, check it out:
Transplants To Phoenix Examiner: The most important meal of the day

Thanks for the memories,
Susan
My uncle lived in Lyndhurst and it was Rum Babas from Lyndhurst Pastry Shop. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 AM

14 posts, read 55,818 times
Default Mendoker's Bakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Can someone recommend a really good bakery (preferably in Northern or Central NJ)? I'm not a big cake person so I have no idea where a good bakery is and I want to buy a chocolate cake with strawberries on top. Any good recs?
Mendoker's Bakery in Jamesburg, NJ, Southern MIddlesex County is excellent. I've been eating their baked goods for 50 years and even worked there for a short time. I got my WEDDING cake from them. I recommend the chocolate chiffon cake, very moist. I always ask if it was baked fresh that day because they do not use preservatives...they mark the bottom of the plate with a date. Don't let someone tell you "they're all baked fresh everyday'. The brownies are the best and i love the chocolate chunk cookies. You will never be disappointed with the Italian loaves....they ARE baked fresh every day!! Any left at the end of the day, get pulled off the shelves. Their baked goods are so delicious that if I ever move from here, I will miss them terribly!!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 12,303 times
Calandra´s is good but Giancarelli´s is the best for cakes! I know they are in Bloomfield.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 AM

220 posts, read 623,811 times
.: Kristine's Dessert Works, Inc :. A European Patisserie ~ Wedding Cakes, Pastries and Cakes she is UNBELIEVABLE!!! She is classically trained, pricey, but the very best I have EVER eaten...& if you saw my butt...you'd know I'm speaking from experience here! LOL. I also lived in Lodi for a long while & if Italian baked goods is what you are looking for...Sorrento's Pastry Shop on Main street was also excellent (& been there for I think 50 years)

Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Mona Lisa Pastry Shop, the best kept little secret in North Jersey!

Theeeeee best Italian Bakery by far! Oh! How I miss that place. I have never seen them busy but that was when they were only there a year or so. If you are on a diet do not go there!
Make sure you visit there during the Xmas Holidays too!

Mona Lisa Pastry Shop, Little Ferry NJ 07643 -- MerchantCircle.com

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM

27 posts, read 434,052 times
Sorrento's in East Hanover (Morris), best bakery, bar none
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey