Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM

38 posts, read 134,596 times

Advertisements

Hello all, can anyone suggest very good body repair shops to repair rusting on the rear quarter panels of a honda civic sedan, at a reasonable price? The car's about 15 years old, and the rusting's occurring in 3 places: on the panels right above the tires on both sides (about 2" x 1" area) and the bottom edge of the panel on one side of the car between the rear door and the panel (also about 2" x 1" area). Replacing these panels could cost around $1000-$1500. That's just too much. I have seen that the certain rusted areas can be cut out, replaced with specific material, blended and repainted to look like no repair was done. Any places that I could trust to do this properly? I am not really a car person. Any other suggestions? Your help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 PM

good body repair shops in central or northern NJ... anybody?

Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Most shops aren't going to be all too interested in a repair like that, since they can make more $$ in the same amount of time doing insurance claim work. If I were you, I'd go to Maaco, and see what they'd charge- they could probably repair the spots are repaint the entire car for less than what a regular shop would charge just for the repairs. Maaco isn't exactly a factory-quality paint shop, but they do a pretty good job, especially for a 15 y/o car.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Thank you Bob. I did consider Maaco before but was discouraged by hearing of their less-than-desirable reputation and stories of paint jobs that didn't last long. Granted this was some time back. Doing a full paint job is an option. Based on what I heard of them, I guess I fear getting it done and then months or a couple years later, the paint starts peeling or something.

Do you know of a particular Maaco where they do a great job and people are satisfied?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
In order for everything to match on a 15 year old car you're probably going to have to paint the entire car. 15 years of sun and oxidation are going to affect the color and the new paint isnt going to match.

It's not like you're restoring a 57 chevy a Macco paint job should be sufficient, they're cheap and should last a reasonably long time. Any paint job done after the original isn't going to be as good IMO.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
Another thought I just had is inquire at the local Vo Tech high school and see if the auto body shop there can fix it.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM

billb, hmm... thank you. Appreciate your suggestion. Didn't know Vo-Techs had auto body shops. I'm in Morris county. The only Vo-Tech high school Google shows nearby is Union. Further check shows Woodbridge.

Apart from those 2, do you know any in particular in Morris or anywhere between lower northern and central?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinerTIL View Post
Hello all, can anyone suggest very good body repair shops to repair rusting on the rear quarter panels of a honda civic sedan, at a reasonable price? The car's about 15 years old, and the rusting's occurring in 3 places: on the panels right above the tires on both sides (about 2" x 1" area) and the bottom edge of the panel on one side of the car between the rear door and the panel (also about 2" x 1" area). Replacing these panels could cost around $1000-$1500. That's just too much. I have seen that the certain rusted areas can be cut out, replaced with specific material, blended and repainted to look like no repair was done. Any places that I could trust to do this properly? I am not really a car person. Any other suggestions? Your help is much appreciated.
North Plainfield Auto Rebuilder.
Bob and his guys work on, or used to, a lot of vintage vehicles.
I don't doubt he's had to patch like this, as some of the cars I've known him to have, I doubt he could even buy replacement parts for.
I couldn't tell you about what he charges any more as I'm not up that way.
Last time I googled him I found some pics of cars he's worked on.

You also might try putting an ad on Craigslists.
If you can find someone out of work that will come to your house to do the patch work, you can then go elsewhere to paint.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Thank you Roselvr. I will also check with those guys. I also found the shop on the web too. Who shall I say recommended him/them? If you feel uncomfortable giving a name, it's okay, I understand.

Re: having someone out of work who I don't know come to my place sounds a little risky. I would have to think about that one.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
You can tell Bob that Sue from Matty's recommended him.
We owned a gas station up the street. I've known Bob since I was little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey