Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Gee, the last time I looked, Jewish kids didn't have a "J" stamped on their heads to stand out from the other "non-Jewish" white kids.
If you are referring to my post about my son's two Jewish friends, I can't imagine they would have invited my son to their Bar Mitvah's if they were Lutheran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
Kids will hang out with kids who have a like interest. If a kid loves rap, and others want to listen to it, then they will congregate on the block and listen and beebop all day long to it.

If white kids want to do what they want, then they will congregate on the corner too, but at anther place, because they dont want to create friction and have contentions with each other.

Lets face it...People only get along with certain people, who have like interest, all others need not apply...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Have you ever been to the South

Yes I have. I had family live in Florida for almost 10 years (both North and South FL) and I spent a significant amount of time down there. Believe it or not, schools down there are WAAAAY more integrated than schools in NJ, most likely because the school districts tend to be countywide. I also found far more interracial couples in FL than here in NJ.

We do need to better integrate our schools in NJ.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you are referring to my post about my son's two Jewish friends, I can't imagine they would have invited my son to their Bar Mitvah's if they were Lutheran.
No, I was referring to the OP's comment.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Asians don't even stick with asians, it's chinese with chinese, korean with korean, arab with arab. Or if they're each tiny minorities then u might notice them all lumped together almost segregated from the majority whites or majority blacks in the school... But if the school has one small minority then the minority/colored/ethnic kids will be forced to perfectly mix in with the majority... example- 20 colored kids perfectly integrated in a school of 1000 whites, these 20 kids will generally learn to act and think like the white kids

ethnic and cultural origins are very strong bonds of identity. american kids with immigrant parents or grandparents understand this..

Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Have you ever been to the South

Yes I have. I had family live in Florida for almost 10 years (both North and South FL) and I spent a significant amount of time down there. Believe it or not, schools down there are WAAAAY more integrated than schools in NJ, most likely because the school districts tend to be countywide. I also found far more interracial couples in FL than here in NJ.

We do need to better integrate our schools in NJ.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
No, I was referring to the OP's comment.
OK, thanks for clarifying.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,826 times
Quote:
Gee, the last time I looked, Jewish kids didn't have a "J" stamped on their heads to stand out from the other "non-Jewish" white kids.
+1

And I believe there are white hispanics, black Jews, brown Jews, and white and black muslims too.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
I don't think it's skin color, per se, but like interests and lifestyle. I would guess that a white and hispanic pair who were best friends share the same general interests and come from similar families. The bottom line is that different values systems and cultural norms in racial groups often self-perpetuate segregation moreso than any government could.

In my own case, I grew up in a basically all-white town. I could count the number of nonwhite kids in my high school on one hand. When I got to college (in Florida), I didn't choose my friends based on race, but based on people who I'd have a good time with. In my group of ten or so friends I'd hang out with there was one black kid from Long Island, but most were suburban white kids like me from various states. I did go out with a girl whose family was from Venezuela, however.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 PM

137 posts, read 522,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
From what I see when I go to malls, "downtown" areas, towns, even in in diverse towns, it seems that a lot of kids tend to stick with kids of their own race. To be honest, I've never seen a jewish kid hanging out with a black kid, a black or a hispanic hanging out with a white group, or non-asians hanging out with an asian group (A very few) especially in the Northern parts of New Jersey. Is it because a lot of kids are racist or what?
No. It's due to who their parents hang out with, starting out when they are young. It's the parents, not the kids. And I don't think the parents are racist either. They are just being lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey