Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
It's a lot easier to be farther from Paterson and closer to Brooklyn.. The commute to BK is a whole lot rougher than Paterson even if the commute is almost 10 miles further from Paterson than Brooklyn.
I'd say Carteret
Probably both commutes are near 35-40 minutes, and Carteret is about 10 miles closer to Brooklyn than it is Paterson.

Union would probably be a little more fair though
Carteret? It's a Hell whole. The original poster wanted somewhat of a nice downtown, plus it's too far from Paterson, especially traveling the Turnpike.

Carteret =
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
It's a lot easier to be farther from Paterson and closer to Brooklyn.. The commute to BK is a whole lot rougher than Paterson
That's an understatement ! I'm in Jersey City, just across the Hudson river from Brooklyn. End to end commute to downtown Brooklyn is about 1hr.

Driving varies depending on traffic. 1hr if it's not too bad, as long as 2 hrs if there is traffic near the tunnels/bridges (as their usually is around weekends)

Old 04-28-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackaegean View Post
Try Rutherford - its a cute town, nice housing, walkable down town, ~15-20 min to NYC by train.
This is an excellent suggestion, but the end-to-end commute will be much longer than 15-20 minutes.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
It's a lot easier to be farther from Paterson and closer to Brooklyn.. The commute to BK is a whole lot rougher than Paterson even if the commute is almost 10 miles further from Paterson than Brooklyn.
I'd say Carteret
Probably both commutes are near 35-40 minutes, and Carteret is about 10 miles closer to Brooklyn than it is Paterson.

Union would probably be a little more fair though
im sticking with clark. you want to partay you can always go to hoboken or nyc. the husband will be fine driving up the GSP.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
That's an understatement ! I'm in Jersey City, just across the Hudson river from Brooklyn. End to end commute to downtown Brooklyn is about 1hr.

Driving varies depending on traffic. 1hr if it's not too bad, as long as 2 hrs if there is traffic near the tunnels/bridges (as their usually is around weekends)
What about path train, then nyc subway? If the op would tell us approx where in brooklyn, rail might be the way to go.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
What about path train, then nyc subway? If the op would tell us approx where in brooklyn, rail might be the way to go.
yeah, the 1hr number was referring to train. I think they could probably get in the 75 minute range if they worked near a subway stop, especially if they work close to the A or the 2/3

Old 04-29-2009, 02:26 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Montclair is a great town.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
to the original poster:

where in brooklyn do you work? this is really important information that you haven't told us. you don't have to give the exact address, but at least let us know the neighborhood where your office is located.

the reason i mention this is because if your office is located close to manhattan (brooklyn heights, downtown brooklyn, williamsburg, etc) then taking mass transit from montclair, clifton, rutherford, etc via nj transit/PATH/nyc subway won't be that big of a deal. but if your place of employment is in southern brooklyn around coney island or bensonhurst, you might be better off living in a town little bit farther south than the ones already listed - perhaps somewhere like harrison, which is working class but reasonably safe, and from which you'd have the option of driving into southern brooklyn via the goethals bridge/staten island/verrazano bridge or taking the PATH to the world trade center and then switching to the nyc subway.

if it's important to live close to paterson due to your husband's crazy work hours, i would not live any further south than harrison. i would not recommend union county (clark) or middlesex county (carteret) under any circumstances; it's simply too far from paterson.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
f-ing cop took my ezpass today at the verazano. damn boss didnt fix the credit card issue with ezpass. gonna have to have the lady write me checks for my personal ezpass because no way im paying the 19 or so bucks in tolls everyday it would cost.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
to the original poster:

where in brooklyn do you work? this is really important information that you haven't told us. you don't have to give the exact address, but at least let us know the neighborhood where your office is located.

Thanks for everyone's help. I am ithe first stop in Brooklyn, right off the A, so yes, PATH/NJ Transit are going to be my best bet.

We have also been finding places in Bloomfield and East Orange...any opinions? We are heavily leaning towards Montclair, but just found these other areas that seem like viable options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey