Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:34 PM

636 posts, read 1,424,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Oak, if I lived with my folks for 8 years out of college, I could have had over $50K in the bank as well.

Hell, I had over $7K in a year or so, bought a new car, new TV and new speakers.

But if you live a realistic life, and did not ride the tech bubble, very few had jobs that could support themselves with even frugal spending once they moved out and lived on their own.

Something that many people did 20-25 years ago right after HS or College.

Jim, I can see where you are coming from. You would have a hard time coming and living in the NY Metro on $50K combined. You COULD do it, but it would by no means be easy to be here at that amount of money (especially when two are earning it).

The amount may go up, however, but the %'s may not match.

As for others complaining and saying that they cannot save even though they do this and that and waaaa, you only have sympathy for the few of those that genuinely got the used car for themselves, or only played at the community golf course (or practiced on an open field, not paying for this and that).

The hard part is, especially being a cheap donkey like I am, seeing that even my own (401K) savings going to nothing and knowing that a lot of the areas around still do not easily offer to us any true way back to a ballanced world.

I don't think we are ever going to go back to a single B+W TV in my shared BR with my brother (complete with coathanger), but I do not see that Range Rover coming into our driveway anytime soon......

And Mike, I think you are at least 50% right with the kids. The problem I see is 50% our fault (trying to give our kids what we didn't) and 50% not (health insurance). If our standard was to gove our two boys (not me, yet) a 13" black and white TV with a coathanger arial, well maybe that would be more easily attainable that worrying about an LCD TV with their Wii......
The problem is that the prosperity from a decade ago was an illusion. It was propped up by government policies and now we are coming back down to earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they dont get what? idealism? painting all companies with some broad paintbrush as if they are all the same? i think they get it. they get that it doesnt make much sense except when someone wants to say things that sound good to most people. like when obama speaks of investing in our infrastructure. building bridges, fixing roads, etc. sounds good to people, but its just a line of bullcrap used to sell corrupt spending schemes.

No it isn't.

As someone who works with people that do inspection and design on a lot of infrastructure, ours is in really bad shape and needs repair. A prime example is the Pulaski Skyway. Another is the Tappan Zee.

Our back-butted way of funding these bridges has left us with fixing them when thnigs fall off rather than just maintaining them in the first place. Try and guess which is more expensive to do.

CNJ, you seem to just be fishing for things to criticize the current admin about. There are very few things that the government can spend on that would not only provide jobs for the people, but will also be able to be USED by the general population.

Or would you prefer the money be given out directly through Unemployment and Welfare?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:
CNJ, you seem to just be fishing for things to criticize the current admin about.
these people seem to forget that they've been in there just four months.

it's going to take a bit longer to undo 8 years of havoc.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
No it isn't.

As someone who works with people that do inspection and design on a lot of infrastructure, ours is in really bad shape and needs repair. A prime example is the Pulaski Skyway. Another is the Tappan Zee.

CNJ, you seem to just be fishing for things to criticize the current admin about. There are very few things that the government can spend on that would not only provide jobs for the people, but will also be able to be USED by the general population.

Or would you prefer the money be given out directly through Unemployment and Welfare?
im not saying that our infrastructure doesnt need work. however, that doesnt entitle our government to a blank check to do with our money as they please.

the government spends my money to create these jobs. let me spend the money and the jobs will still be created and more will actually get accomplished.

i would prefer they dont "give out" my money at all. i earned it, i should decide how it gets spent.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
these people seem to forget that they've been in there just four months.

it's going to take a bit longer to undo 8 years of havoc.
8 years of havoc? please. bush was essentially a do nothing president. ill take that over a president set to destroy our nation any day.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,542 times
Quote:
8 years of havoc? please. bush was essentially a do nothing president. ill take that over a president set to destroy our nation any day.
Did you miss the massive housing boom he ignored, it was still fixable when he was in office - the point of no return is long gone now though.

Did you miss that war in Iraq thing?

Did you miss the kidnap civilians and send them off to Syria to be tortured part?

Yes Obama is going to cause a near (or actual) hyperinflation event in the US. The alternative of a long and severe recession would have been better in my view, but Bush was following the path at the end anyway.

Bush was the last president who could have fixed things, but instead ignored the economy and focused on shredding the constitution. Yes Clinton got the ball rolling on this, yes Obama is making things worse.

They're all as bad as each other. They all follow economic fantasies and the mainstream goes along with it. They are all the same. It's the final looting of US wealth before the system collapses on itself - so they can afford to be more obvious about it.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Did you miss the massive housing boom he ignored, it was still fixable when he was in office - the point of no return is long gone now though.

Did you miss that war in Iraq thing?

Did you miss the kidnap civilians and send them off to Syria to be tortured part?

Yes Obama is going to cause a near (or actual) hyperinflation event in the US. The alternative of a long and severe recession would have been better in my view, but Bush was following the path at the end anyway.

Bush was the last president who could have fixed things, but instead ignored the economy and focused on shredding the constitution. Yes Clinton got the ball rolling on this, yes Obama is making things worse.

They're all as bad as each other. They all follow economic fantasies and the mainstream goes along with it. They are all the same. It's the final looting of US wealth before the system collapses on itself - so they can afford to be more obvious about it.
we have the democrats to thank for the housing boom, and the republicans to thank for not doing enough to stop it. bush was happy to take credit for the increase in homeownership and ignore the negative reality of the situation. the republicans arent innocent but its not really a point for a democrat to make.

iraq war isnt that big of an issue. it can be undone easier than it was done and thats what really matters.

i feel so sorry for the terrorists that were taken away and tortured. right or wrong, this isnt an issue that would ever affect my quality of life.

i am no bush supporter so i wont defend him. he did the first "stimulus packages" and he didnt cut spending. i wish he sat out and did nothing when the time came for corrupt politicians to see a weak economy and jump on it like the vultures that they are. he didnt. however, i dont want to hear democrats complain about him while acting as if Obama and the rest of the democrats are any better.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Obama is no prize but Bush was do nothing? Iraq and the Patriot Act? Spending like a drunken sailor (of which Obama is surpassing)? Medicare Drug law?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you spoke of your parents.
what do you do for a living.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
we have the democrats to thank for the housing boom, and the republicans to thank for not doing enough to stop it. bush was happy to take credit for the increase in homeownership and ignore the negative reality of the situation. the republicans arent innocent but its not really a point for a democrat to make.

iraq war isnt that big of an issue. it can be undone easier than it was done and thats what really matters.
Really? We can just snap our fingers and get rid of the Iraq mess? How much did it cost us in dollars and lives?

Quote:

i feel so sorry for the terrorists that were taken away and tortured. right or wrong, this isnt an issue that would ever affect my quality of life.
Well, their civil rights were violated. Plus, you don't know that innocent people were not tortured as well. Also, blowback creates more terrorists.

Quote:
i am no bush supporter so i wont defend him. he did the first "stimulus packages" and he didnt cut spending. i wish he sat out and did nothing when the time came for corrupt politicians to see a weak economy and jump on it like the vultures that they are. he didnt. however, i dont want to hear democrats complain about him while acting as if Obama and the rest of the democrats are any better.
Obama isn't better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey