Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 17,179 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Charlotte, NC
Why are you moving? Relocating due to work
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? 41st and Broadway..

Will you buy or rent? rent
What is your budget ? 1600-1800 for a 1bhk/2bhk
What kind of place are you looking for ? Looking for a suburban, safe place.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Wife and a 2 yr old kid
Do you need/want good public schools? nope

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in ? families with young children, diverse, Little bit of Indian presence would be good
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) - safety, walkable neighborhood/apartment complex, < 1 hr door to door commute, Looking to commute via public transport so that wifey can have the car for other things(groceries, shopping etc)

I have been searching for apartments over the past month and initially I decided that Rahway, Woodbridge, Avenel or Carteret areas would be good based on what I read online, but when i went to visit NJ last week I didnt like any of those places. I looked at few apartments in Edison, Iselin area considering they are closer to Indian stores but none of the apartments were worth 1600-1700$ for 2bhk

My initial price range was 1600 for a 2bhk but now am almost certain that i wont get a 2bed in that price range. Am now ok to move into a 1bhk and later relocate after a year.

Below are some of the apartments am looking at and dont see much reviews in city data

Avalon Edgewater
Avalon Hackensack
Avalon watchung

Am considering Avalon because I have previously stayed at Avalon before(just the feel good factor) and also they have a 30 day move in guarantee. I have already done a 3 day trip to NJ last week.. so am not sure if I could make another one before I move.

BTW, My move in would be mid of October.

Any good/bad things about the above Avalon apartments?
Any other specific apartments or areas I need to look at?
Any specific apartments in jersey city I should look at?

Would really appreciate any inputs I get. thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Vinay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 10:55 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,436 times
Stay in Charlotte, i did similar move in 2006 and biting at the bit to get back to Charlotte..

Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Stay in Charlotte, i did similar move in 2006 and biting at the bit to get back to Charlotte..
I second that! Why why why move to NJ?

Avalon properties are going to be far more expensive than the rest. Since you don't have to worry about the kid's education yet, I strongly recommend Newport or Exchange Place. 1br might be well over 2k but you will save a couple hundred in commute and a good 1+ hour in commute time (which is priceless!). You can just take the Path train to 34th and walk to 41st - should be an easy 30 min commute.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
lol.. I realized it when i went on a weekend trip to NJ for apt hunt last week..

moving as am getting a better job opportunity(not really good salary )

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I second that! Why why why move to NJ?

Avalon properties are going to be far more expensive than the rest. Since you don't have to worry about the kid's education yet, I strongly recommend Newport or Exchange Place. 1br might be well over 2k but you will save a couple hundred in commute and a good 1+ hour in commute time (which is priceless!). You can just take the Path train to 34th and walk to 41st - should be an easy 30 min commute.

am seeing a few 1bhk's at Avalon for less than 2k and they have a 30 day move in guarantee.. In case I dont like it, i could always move it.. but want to keep that as the last option.

Any good apartments you would suggest in these places?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 AM

am looking for some place where i can take an evening stroll with my kid.. and also some safe place where my wife and kid can walk around the apartment complex during day time.. not many apartments are meeting this criteria

Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
From a former New Jersian who moved outside of Greenville, NC 11 yrs. ago, consider if you really want to move there. I love the State I was born & raised my kids in, but NJ is a difficult State to feel welcomed, especially in No. NJ. Make a list of pros & cons of moving 8-9 hrs. away. You mentioned not an increase in salary, this will be difficult in the areas you are looking into.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
From a former New Jersian who moved outside of Greenville, NC 11 yrs. ago, consider if you really want to move there. I love the State I was born & raised my kids in, but NJ is a difficult State to feel welcomed, especially in No. NJ. Make a list of pros & cons of moving 8-9 hrs. away. You mentioned not an increase in salary, this will be difficult in the areas you are looking into.

Good luck to you.
Thank you. Yeah, I have kind of done that already. Although it might not be a great move financially, i have decided to move considering its a better job opportunity.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
$1,800 for a 2-bedroom is going to be tough to find.

Note that most landlords will not rent a 1-bedroom to a couple with a child.

Since your child isn't in school yet you can temporarily choose any town without regard to quality of school district.

You can live close to the City & pay alot of rent, but have a short, less expensive commute, or you can move to the suburbs & have a lenghty & expensive commute, but pay a little bit less rent.

Take a look at train lines at www.njtransit.com to get an idea of travel times into NY Penn Station at 33rd & 7th.

Note that there is also a Newark Penn Station, so don't let that confuse you.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 PM

180 posts, read 345,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
$1,800 for a 2-bedroom is going to be tough to find.

Note that most landlords will not rent a 1-bedroom to a couple with a child.

Since your child isn't in school yet you can temporarily choose any town without regard to quality of school district.

You can live close to the City & pay alot of rent, but have a short, less expensive commute, or you can move to the suburbs & have a lenghty & expensive commute, but pay a little bit less rent.

Take a look at train lines at www.njtransit.com to get an idea of travel times into NY Penn Station at 33rd & 7th.

Note that there is also a Newark Penn Station, so don't let that confuse you.
I agree - move further out and take the bus or the train to the city.

There are places you can walk to the bus and take it right into Port Authority. Or walk to the train and go to Penn Station. If you can avoid parking fees for the bus or train it makes it more affordable.

There are bus stops along the Rte 22 corridor that people walk to from their homes so maybe you can find a rental in a place like Fanwood, Scotch Plains, Mountainside, Watchung? Or Cranford? Those places are all pretty close to the city.

There are LOTS more areas on the NJ Transit line and Port Authority bus line, so check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey