Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times

Advertisements

I see to many otherwise nice homes that are vinyl or brick with filth all over them. I think a powerwash can clean it off. Or how about houses with say trim around the windows and streak stains running from the window corners made of rust or paint. Some people have their house for sell like this, it make the house look a lot more ran down than it is. There are also older houses with the gutter falling off or tear in the wood looking panels on the side of the house. I bet someone could make good money around here doing this type of work because these people must be old or busy or think it's to costly to not spruce their place up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i think as people get older and kids move out they are more complacent. my dad's house is stucco exterior and he always has some mold around the exterior of the house. he has had it powerwashed but he gets annoyed that he has to do it every few years so he doesnt do it.

another thing i notice about my dad's development. it is 20-30 years old now so most of the kids have grown up and moved out. when i was growing up there, you could see the houses clearly and everything was beautiful. now, the trees have taken over. some houses you can barely see at all, most have a significant amount of tree cover. they just give up on the maintenance and nature takes over.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I see to many otherwise nice homes that are vinyl or brick with filth all over them. I think a powerwash can clean it off. Or how about houses with say trim around the windows and streak stains running from the window corners made of rust or paint. Some people have their house for sell like this, it make the house look a lot more ran down than it is. There are also older houses with the gutter falling off or tear in the wood looking panels on the side of the house. I bet someone could make good money around here doing this type of work because these people must be old or busy or think it's to costly to not spruce their place up.
Yes, they need to powerwash. Hiring someone to powerwash a whole house isn't cheap though, so that probably factors in.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Yes, they need to powerwash. Hiring someone to powerwash a whole house isn't cheap though, so that probably factors in.
I'm sure guys out there (not companys) would do it for 30-50 dollars which is about 10 dollars an hour depending how big and bad the mold is. All u need is a latter and machine, a good one pricey one or it'll take forever, time is money

Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm sure guys out there (not companys) would do it for 30-50 dollars which is about 10 dollars an hour depending how big and bad the mold is. All u need is a latter and machine, a good one pricey one or it'll take forever, time is money
A whole house for 50 dollars? Powerwashing can take all day if you do it right. You have to systematically go over every single piece of siding. I guess you could just try to hit the moldy spots but that wouldn't be doing it right. In that case, you might as well just try to climb up there yourself with a bottle of dilute bleach and water and an old undershirt.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
A whole house for 50 dollars? Powerwashing can take all day if you do it right. You have to systematically go over every single piece of siding. I guess you could just try to hit the moldy spots but that wouldn't be doing it right. In that case, you might as well just try to climb up there yourself with a bottle of dilute bleach and water and an old undershirt.
I once spent a whole day cleaning mine but I had an average powerwash machine. I figure if u get the big powerful ones that can cut a hole through your arm, that crud would come right off the first time around. 50 dollars is how much people make all day minimum wage, I think an experienced person could do 2 houses in a day. But its about working smart not going over the same area several times like a jackass.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Dhanu I go into peoples homes all day everyday. The things I see I can write a book about but no one would believe it. Most people say I'm sorry for the mess but....... Yet others dont even notice it and welcome strangers inside.

If any of you think teenagers only keep their rooms like a pig sty you should see what I see.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
My local handyman does this alot. Were having him put up some screen doors and he has been complaining that he cant get to all his powerwashing jobs because of all the rain. He said he charges $100-300 depending on the size of the house. Typical job lasts about 4 hours because he has some uber powerwasher that puts out close to 4000psi. Its HUGE. Anyway, just thought it was funny we were talking about it yesterday and this thread pops up today. If any of you are in Woodbridge, Edison area and want a good guy to do some work for you, send me a private message. He is NOT a licensed contractor, just a local handyman working for himself.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,708 times
Question: I have a powerwasher and been thinking about using it to clean the siding, but I have been hesitant, since I don't want to remove the paint as well.
How do you guys do it? Just powerwash or use some additive, like bleach or something?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
My local handyman does this alot. Were having him put up some screen doors and he has been complaining that he cant get to all his powerwashing jobs because of all the rain. He said he charges $100-300 depending on the size of the house. Typical job lasts about 4 hours because he has some uber powerwasher that puts out close to 4000psi. Its HUGE. Anyway, just thought it was funny we were talking about it yesterday and this thread pops up today. If any of you are in Woodbridge, Edison area and want a good guy to do some work for you, send me a private message. He is NOT a licensed contractor, just a local handyman working for himself.
U just proved my point. He has the right machine and people paying 100-300 in suburbia? I might just start doing this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey