Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times

Advertisements

Add sesame place to your list

Sesame Place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I would also say Point Pleasant since you can do beach, rides, games and an aquarium all in one. Do it on a Friday or Monday if you can to avoid the weekend crush.

There's also the water parks - Great Adventure has one. Seaside Heights has one. Dorney Park has one. I know there are others as well.

I also think Liberty Science Center (BTW someone else mentioned the IMAX Theater which is very cool and they have one at Liberty Science Center) and the Statue of Liberty are all great.

You can also go "picking" for whatever is in season. Johnson Farm in Medford is a nice place but there are others around too.

Lots of things to see and do in Philadelphia. I hear the Please Touch Museum is great but I'm not sure if it might be for really young kids.

There is also the Crayola Factory in Easton PA or the Amish Country and Hershey Park.

There is definitely plenty to see and do right here but a weekend in DC would be pretty cool too.

Have a great time...be a kid again yourself.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 PM

13 posts, read 49,213 times
A great beach day is any of the beaches at Sandy Hook (except the nude one), but watch the traffic as they are doing construction on the bridge that leads to it. Also look around your area for fairs and festivals. There's a fair gong on at the Meadowlands right now (www.njfair.com ?) and there's a 4H fair in Monmouth County at the end of July and I believe two hot air balloon festivals in Somerset County. We always take our niece and nephew to the fairs (since they were 5 and 8) and they love the games and rides. At the Readington Balloon festival they have a special tent where the kids can do all kinds of arts and crafts. Have fun!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Bronx zoo, Imax movie, Mars 2112 (in NYC), Land of Make Believe (Hope NJ), Any mini golf, Chelsea Piers (bowling etc), pick your own strawberries (or whatever), NY Aquarium, Children's museum (Paramus), Funplex (East Hanover). Have a local pool? Kids can spend hours there. Don't feel like you have to cram stuff in every minute. You'll just end up with an over stressed (and therefore annoying) kid.
Excellent advice, especially the last part about not cramming in too much and overwhelming her.

You don't always have to go fancy and expensive, I took my 7 year old to Disney this year and she wanted to spend most of her time at the pool going down the water slide!

A lot depends on your niece and her personality. I would recommend alternating between "big" things and relaxing times at the beach or pool. Best to make a list and see how it goes with alternative options.
Don't feel too pressured to get a set group of things done, kids can be very unpredictable and if you put a tremendous amount of energy and money into trying to entertain her and something doesn't "click" you will end up feeling disappointed and frustrated.

With kids it's smart sometimes to go with the flow.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 AM

26 posts, read 128,109 times
I would say Rutgers Zimmerli Art Museum would be the best, fun, education and creative, all Piscataway schools 7 or 8 year old girls visited it and love it.

You can take NJ Transit from Midtown Penn Station to get off at New Brunswick Train Station, and just one block away is the museum.

Of course, you may also take the free campus shuttle bus to tour the best university in New Jersey that has Nobel Economics Prize winner, Milton Friedman, in 1976, whose theory is the solution of current economic situation.

Across the museum is the Economics Department at New Jersey Hall (to be renamed Milton Friedman Hall, as I have proposed to President McCormick) where you can tell the great story of this Nobel Prize winner to your 7 year old girl guest. She shall learn a lot and inspired by all she saw and hear. Who knows, maybe some day she will come to Rutgers University study, and may be winning another Nobel Economics Prize some day.

You may take her over Rutgers Campus Bus to Douglas College of woman that has glory history of American women fighting for the rights to vote. Just walk around one of the most beautiful college campus and music library and checking out student centers, you both shall learn a lot.

For a 7 year old girl, a train trip from NYC to NJ to famous university to top 3 university art museum in the US, and woman college, ...etc, will become one of the most inspired trip for her.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
If you're going to the theater, stop by Toys R Us at Times Square. Then you can pop into M&M World because you're in the neighborhood.

New York City Shopping: Toys R Us Times Square (1514 Broadway at 44th Street, Times Square)
M&M's World Times Square (New York City Shopping - 1593 Broadway (between 48th & 49th))

Old 06-30-2009, 07:40 AM

20 posts, read 137,101 times
Thank you all for great advices! I have checked most of the places you guys recommended on the web. I especially liked advices about not cramming in too much and alternating exciting and relaxing events. I will try to put myself in kid's POV while I'm with her. Thanks to you guys I won't run out of places to take her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey